Paul Weiss vs Cravath - Culture? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Paul Weiss vs Cravath - Culture?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:43 pm

Litigation practices are both top notch. Which one is reputed to have a better culture? Asking because I have callbacks for both but only have time to schedule one.

Anonymous User

Re: Paul Weiss vs Cravath - Culture?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:45 pm

They're both brutal places that will work you to death. Smaller chance of being staffed on a massive investigation with tons of doc review at Cravath, which is the clear choice here I think.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:48 pm

I am starting at PW in Sept after summering last summer and enjoyed the culture. Seems to be weirder/okay with personalities, and less buttoned up with Cravath.

I wouldn't blame you for taking either.

That said, you definitely should schedule both callbacks.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:They're both brutal places that will work you to death. Smaller chance of being staffed on a massive investigation with tons of doc review at Cravath, which is the clear choice here I think.
I don't think the choice is at all clear for litigation. In fact, I think it might lean Paul Weiss, depending on how you view Cravath's partner rotation system, their blue chip clients (for which you will presumably have to work), and their formal culture. For M&A or banking, Cravath is the clear choice, but that's a different story.

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:18 pm

OP, feel free to PM me. I was a litigation associate at one of these firms.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:19 pm

Anecdotal from observing friends, and only based on their summer experiences in litigation:

PW = collegial, important not to stand out as gunner, important to attend social events, less formal, if you work a lot it's because you chose that life
Cravath = not really collegial, can blow off social events if you have work, work a lot, very formal and stuffy, if you work a lot it's because you have to

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:20 pm

My reaction when reading thread title

"lol"

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:37 pm

I would much rather spend time with everyone I know that works at PW versus everyone that I know working at Cravath.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:51 pm

Don't forget -- these are callbacks, not offers. You're not guaranteed an offer at either firm. You say you only have time to schedule one callback, but if I were you, I would schedule both.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:03 pm

JenDarby wrote:I would much rather spend time with everyone I know that works at PW versus everyone that I know working at Cravath.
This should be your most important consideration, OP. Exit options, partnership prospects, whatever will be the same at both firms. I'm not sure on what basis te other poster is saying you're more likely to do doc review at PW than Cravath.

Of course, if you're the kind of person who wants to brag to your peers about a Cravath offer and think you're too good for PW, then you should take Cravath.

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:04 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:
JenDarby wrote:I would much rather spend time with everyone I know that works at PW versus everyone that I know working at Cravath.
This should be your most important consideration, OP.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:12 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:
This should be your most important consideration, OP. Exit options, partnership prospects, whatever will be the same at both firms. I'm not sure on what basis te other poster is saying you're more likely to do doc review at PW than Cravath.

Of course, if you're the kind of person who wants to brag to your peers about a Cravath offer and think you're too good for PW, then you should take Cravath.
is there a difference in bragging rights between peers?

also OP did get an offer from cravath

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anecdotal from observing friends, and only based on their summer experiences in litigation:

PW = collegial, important not to stand out as gunner, important to attend social events, less formal, if you work a lot it's because you chose that life
Anonymous User wrote:Anecdotal from observing friends, and only based on their summer experiences in litigation:

I will echo the part about not standing out as a gunner. Summers shit-talk summers they perceive as gunners. And yet, I don't think it's that uncommon for summers to stay late to get something done on time. But I get the feeling that there's a culture of downplaying such occasions because no one wants to come off as a gunner but everyone wants to do a good job on their assignments. It's a weird dynamic. I've heard the dynamic described as a Potemkin village of relaxation.

But there is zero limited pressure on summers to work late, but there's not a ton of effort to stop you either. You can work as hard as you want to, and there's basically an infinite amount of work, if you want it.

In terms of social events, I missed a ton. On one occasion my associate mentor observed the fact that I wasn't at some event. I couldn't tell if it was his subtle way of warning me that my absence was noticed to my detriment. Alternatively, I could just be paranoid. I choose to believe no one cares. My reviews were great and I got my offer. That's all the evidence I have.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:24 am

Look, maybe your life is really that jam packed with important stuff that you can only do one of these callbacks, but I am almost certain you should figure out a way to do both.

SLS_AMG

Bronze

Post by SLS_AMG » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:They're both brutal places that will work you to death. Smaller chance of being staffed on a massive investigation with tons of doc review at Cravath, which is the clear choice here I think.
Lawyers and law students are so dramatic. :roll:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I will echo the part about not standing out as a gunner. Summers shit-talk summers they perceive as gunners. And yet, I don't think it's that uncommon for summers to stay late to get something done on time. But I get the feeling that there's a culture of downplaying such occasions because no one wants to come off as a gunner but everyone wants to do a good job on their assignments. It's a weird dynamic. I've heard the dynamic described as a Potemkin village of relaxation.

But there is zero limited pressure on summers to work late, but there's not a ton of effort to stop you either. You can work as hard as you want to, and there's basically an infinite amount of work, if you want it.

In terms of social events, I missed a ton. On one occasion my associate mentor observed the fact that I wasn't at some event. I couldn't tell if it was his subtle way of warning me that my absence was noticed to my detriment. Alternatively, I could just be paranoid. I choose to believe no one cares. My reviews were great and I got my offer. That's all the evidence I have.
I'm the PW summer from above and generally agree with this.

Not that it should be a main concern, but to the extent you are worried about how pleasurable your summer is, PW is going to be much better than Cravath, which from what I understand, has actual working summers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:19 pm

OP here. Thanks for the advice. Sounds like Paul Weiss is the better option because I could care less about bragging rights.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

merlin-

New

Post by merlin- » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:25 am

SLS_AMG wrote:
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/ ... to_cardiac_/
:D

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:44 am

merlin- wrote:
SLS_AMG wrote:
It's probably just me, but I find it incredibly perturbing that you've chosen to caption an article about a real woman who passed away with a big ol' smile. I know law students get off on being right, but damn.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Thanks for the advice. Sounds like Paul Weiss is the better option because I could care less about bragging rights.
But cravath does not have bragging rights over pw with respect to litigation. That's not a real part of this discussion.

merlin-

New

Post by merlin- » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
merlin- wrote:
SLS_AMG wrote:
It's probably just me, but I find it incredibly perturbing that you've chosen to caption an article about a real woman who passed away with a big ol' smile. I know law students get off on being right, but damn.
The smile was certainly not in relation to the article. Just the irony that this kind of stuff does happen. I don't think anyone would be laughing at someone else's death.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”