Regular Attorney to IP Attorney Path Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Regular Attorney to IP Attorney Path

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:46 pm

Has anyone without a science background gone back and completed the minimum requirements to be eligible to sit for the patent bar? Purely for opening new doors.

I am considering completing the minimum 24 hours in physics.

If anyone has, or has some insight as to this prospective path, please share pros and cons. Thank you.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

h2go

Bronze

Re: Regular Attorney to IP Attorney Path

Post by h2go » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:38 pm

If you are trying to do IP litigation, this could help a bit to show you are really committed to the field. If you are trying to do patent prosecution, I wouldn't bother since firms want people with technical degrees.

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:35 pm

I actually thought about this while in law school and came to the simple conclusion that it's more work than it's worth. You're better off getting good grades, networking with the right people, and either lucking into IP lit off the bat or getting a job doing general litigation at a GP firm and lateraling to the IP lit department when you can.

It sucks, I know. Seems like nowadays even IP lit positions are requiring technical degrees/patent bar reg. no. 20-30 years ago that was rarely the case which is why a lot of senior IP lit partners have BAs in psychology or something soft. Now, it's ultra competitive and clients want attorneys with more specialized degrees.

ClubberLang

Bronze

Post by ClubberLang » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:47 pm

If you just want to be able to take the patent bar, you can get eligible by passing the 'Fundamentals of Engineering' exam that I believe is a prerequisite for professional engineer licensure. I was interested in patent law, but didn't have the right technical degree and would have had to take additional coursework so went this route instead. The exam is pretty tough, probably about a month of solid work to study for it, but definitely easier than taking a boatload of courses.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”