What does being chosen as an alternate really mean in a preselect OCI? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What does being chosen as an alternate really mean in a preselect OCI?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:16 am

Hello I've just now today accepted an invite in where I was initially chosen as an alternate about two days ago.

Does this mean that I was initially wait listed and that no one else decided to interview with the firm, so they went back into their wait list (alternates) and choose just about everyone who was as alternate, or are they just as selective for alternates? This is a big law firm we are talking about. Why would no one pick this firm? Could it be a maximum number number of interviews allowed case and students wishing to utilize their interviews with full scrutiny?

Even more specific, how are alternates chosen and picked for interviews?

As far as offers go how frequently have people gotten offers after the callback from firms where they were initially chosen as alternates?

Thank You.

Actus Reus

Bronze

Re: What does being chosen as an alternate really mean in a preselect OCI?

Post by Actus Reus » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hello I've just now today accepted an invite in where I was initially chosen as an alternate about two days ago.

Does this mean that I was initially wait listed and that no one else decided to interview with the firm, so they went back into their wait list (alternates) and choose just about everyone who was as alternate, or are they just as selective for alternates? This is a big law firm we are talking about. Why would no one pick this firm? Could it be a maximum number number of interviews allowed case and students wishing to utilize their interviews with full scrutiny?

Even more specific, how are alternates chosen and picked for interviews?

As far as offers go how frequently have people gotten offers after the callback from firms where they were initially chosen as alternates?

Thank You.
Your interviewer will not you were an alternate. Don't overthink this. Interview to the best of your ability and let it play out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:24 am

I was an alternate at the v15 firm I'm at currently. Know another person who was an alternate for the v5 they are currently at. I don't know how the system works, but it definitely isn't something to be worried about.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:18 am

I missed the gpa/rank cut-off, and was then an alternate. Call back --> offer --> SA --> FT offer. Like others said, the interviewers won't know. Don't over think it and do your best.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:22 am

Op here. Thank you. How will they not know I'm an alternate? Anyone care to explain...

I really feel so much better!! Wow
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:Op here. Thank you. How will they not know I'm an alternate? Anyone care to explain...
I don't claim to fully know the inter-workings of the process. But, the interviewers will be given a list of people they are going to interview. Your name will be part of that list. They likely will not be told that you were added later or as an alternate. The people who make the interview list are not the same people who do the interviews.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:28 am

Great thanks. I'm hoping my school will give me the name and preferably mailing address of the actual interviewer because it differs from the contact information for the cover letter. Usually the cover letter address is the headquarters and the interviewer is from the local office. I need this so I can mail my thank you card to the interviewer instead of some random person I addressed on my cover letter.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:43 am

I was an alternate at the V5 firm where I'm starting this fall. Treat it like any other interview, because it is.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:51 am

Hate to rain on the parade here but in some cases, the interviewers will know exactly who their preselects, alternates, and lotteries are. In fact, it can be very obvious during the interview itself.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Great thanks. I'm hoping my school will give me the name and preferably mailing address of the actual interviewer because it differs from the contact information for the cover letter. Usually the cover letter address is the headquarters and the interviewer is from the local office. I need this so I can mail my thank you card to the interviewer instead of some random person I addressed on my cover letter.
Mailing a thank you card is entirely unnecessary. If you want to follow up, you can send an email and it's perfectly appropriate. (Many people will say not to send a thank you at all.)

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:17 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Great thanks. I'm hoping my school will give me the name and preferably mailing address of the actual interviewer because it differs from the contact information for the cover letter. Usually the cover letter address is the headquarters and the interviewer is from the local office. I need this so I can mail my thank you card to the interviewer instead of some random person I addressed on my cover letter.
Mailing a thank you card is entirely unnecessary. If you want to follow up, you can send an email and it's perfectly appropriate. (Many people will say not to send a thank you at all.)
Yes, please don't mail a card. Don't want to fire up last year's debate re: thank you email vs. no thank you email, but a card is definitely unnecessary.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:47 am

Okay generally who are the interviewers for the screening (20-30 min) interview? Are they partners, associates, or even attorneys themselves?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:Okay generally who are the interviewers for the screening (20-30 min) interview? Are they partners, associates, or even attorneys themselves?
Depends. Can be any mix of folks (i.e. 1 partner, 1 partner/1 associate, 1 associate, etc.). Always attorneys.

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hate to rain on the parade here but in some cases, the interviewers will know exactly who their preselects, alternates, and lotteries are. In fact, it can be very obvious during the interview itself.
And in other cases they won't, which is exactly why OP should not worry about this comment and take the other advice to interview to the best of their ability.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”