What exactly is mass mailing and what to submit? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What exactly is mass mailing and what to submit?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:33 am

Pretty much the question wraps it up. Been told I should mass mail a lot.

Should I find firms' email addresses and then just pdf. them my resume, cover letter, transcript and a writing sample? Not sure if I should do writing sample. I'm guessing I would check NALP to see who the recruiter or hiring partner is for a specific office and send it to them.

Is this all it is? Let me know if I got it all wrong or missed completely.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

runinthefront

Gold

Re: What exactly is mass mailing and what to submit?

Post by runinthefront » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:54 am

Yes. No need for a writing sample unless one is requested, though. Good luck!
Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:59 am

You pretty much nailed it. Like minds differ, but I always put my 'cover letter' in the body of the email. Less clicks = better chance of getting read.

Happy mailing!

tea'

New

Post by tea' » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:10 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:You pretty much nailed it. Like minds differ, but I always put my 'cover letter' in the body of the email. Less clicks = better chance of getting read.

Happy mailing!
but aren't cover letters usually a full page long single-spaced? Will you really put all that in the body of your first email?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:30 pm

Yes. Maybe take out a sentence or two of your full cover letter and throw it in the email. Once you get rid of the signature block, heading and address block, you are down to about half a page. And, when viewing an email on a large monitor, it doesn't really take up all that much space.

All of this presupposes that firms actually read the cover letter. My thinking is that most just look for W/E, GPA, law review or skip that all together and go to the resume.

This topic has been discussed ad nauseam in these forums. Like minds will differ on this point...there probably isnt a correct answer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

oblig.lawl.ref

Bronze

Post by oblig.lawl.ref » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:48 pm

tea' wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:You pretty much nailed it. Like minds differ, but I always put my 'cover letter' in the body of the email. Less clicks = better chance of getting read.

Happy mailing!
but aren't cover letters usually a full page long single-spaced? Will you really put all that in the body of your first email?
pretty sure this is a silly joke but just for the sake of the more impressionable 2Ls, cover page should be more like 3 short to medium paragraphs (IMO). The shorter the better.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:02 pm

oblig.lawl.ref wrote:
tea' wrote:

Happy mailing!
pretty sure this is a silly joke but just for the sake of the more impressionable 2Ls, cover page should be more like 3 short to medium paragraphs (IMO). The shorter the better.
Shi.... s/he might have gotten me. But agree, keep it short and sweet.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”