2016 Texas OCI (UT/University of Texas + All Others) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2016 Texas OCI (UT/University of Texas + All Others)

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is anyone still waiting on BB post-CB? I am and was wondering if others are.
Yup.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is anyone still waiting on BB post-CB? I am and was wondering if others are.
Yup.
Same here. I will probably wait until this Friday.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:09 pm

Anyone heard about any Beck Redden offers? Have heard nothing since my callback.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:33 pm

Seems like a lot of the second tier regional firms are being slow to offer? Gardere Houston sent out offers only last week, and I still haven't heard anything from HayBoo.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard about any Beck Redden offers? Have heard nothing since my callback.
Heard of one almost a month ago.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone been dinged by JW Houston yet?
Just got a ding today after CB almost a month ago

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:59 pm

would y'all be worried about accepting LW houston over a bigTex firm? would the threat of being Lathamed stop you from accepting if you liked the firm way more?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:would y'all be worried about accepting LW houston over a bigTex firm? would the threat of being Lathamed stop you from accepting if you liked the firm way more?
Out of all the non-Texas firms in Texas, I would argue that Latham (Houston) and Gibson Dunn (Dallas) are the most established. Both of them are top national firms, have been in their respective markets for quite of few years (especially compared to the other firms that have started moving in), and have decent size offices (granted smaller than Big Tex firms, but bigger than other satellites). From a reputation standpoint I would put them up there with other Big Tex firms (maybe absent VE/BB). In terms of lateral options I feel these places would put you in a similar boat as other top TX firms (keep in mind their practice areas/strengths are more limited than some of the other TX firms though). In terms of partnership chances I am not sure how they compare to other Big TX, however, would not view them as getting all the bad rap them some "true satellites" get. As for the other NY/Chicago/LA firms in town, I would consider a Big Tex option before going there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:would y'all be worried about accepting LW houston over a bigTex firm? would the threat of being Lathamed stop you from accepting if you liked the firm way more?
As someone who's been in your situation within the last few years, I'd recommend that you go to the firm you like the most. I'm happy to discuss any particulars by PM if you'd like.

My $.02 -- If you're saying you liked Latham way more, then go Latham. Without going too in-depth and setting aside any of the comparisons between the type/quantity/quality of work, culture/personalities, and exit ops, if you're focusing on stability: (i) LW has a 100% offer rate for its summers. VE and BB historically do not, and lolz at NRF (which has an offer rate closer to 50% than 100% in some years/offices). You could in essence be "lathamed" after your summer if they were to no-offer, so it's not small thing to basically have a guaranteed job for when you graduate; (ii) even in its relative infancy, and as most TX posters on here will agree, LW's office has been very successful in establishing itself as one of the go-to high-end transactional firm in Houston (and is across V&E and BB on tons of deals), and it's been one of the firm's more profitable offices.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:12 pm

As someone who's been in your situation within the last few years, I'd recommend that you go to the firm you like the most. I'm happy to discuss any particulars by PM if you'd like.

My $.02 -- If you're saying you liked Latham way more, then go Latham. Without going too in-depth and setting aside any of the comparisons between the type/quantity/quality of work, culture/personalities, and exit ops, if you're focusing on stability: (i) LW has a 100% offer rate for its summers. VE and BB historically do not, and lolz at NRF (which has an offer rate closer to 50% than 100% in some years/offices). You could in essence be "lathamed" after your summer if they were to no-offer, so it's not small thing to basically have a guaranteed job for when you graduate; (ii) even in its relative infancy, and as most TX posters on here will agree, LW's office has been very successful in establishing itself as one of the go-to high-end transactional firm in Houston (and is across V&E and BB on tons of deals), and it's been one of the firm's more profitable offices.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Agreed - go with the firm you liked the best (and has the type of work you want to do). The market is so fluid that you can always change your mind later. Everyone on this board will try to tell you you're an idiot if you choose Firm X, Y or Z - but that's just because lawyers are insecure and want to think they made a better decision than everyone else :)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:34 pm

What's the general opinion on Sidley and Orrick in Houston? I know they're both new in town, but was just curious.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:33 pm

I am the Latham anon from above. I liked LW better than the other firm I have an offer from, and got a way better vibe. Thanks for the reassurance that I am not making a very obvious mistake.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:35 pm

Is it too early to follow the lead of the other OCI threads and start posting numbers and results?

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:49 pm

I can put stats in the OP if people want.

I know that when I was going through OCI I would have liked to know some stats like GPA, KJD Y/N?, Texas Resident Y/N, # of Screeners, # of CBs, # of Offers.

It's up to the people who are actually going through this process, but just know that it will help out future classes, even if you don't have an offer yet it'll serve as a warning that OCI isn't some cakewalk where everyone comes out happy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:53 pm

I'll start:

GPA: Top 20%
KJD: No
TX Resident: Yes
Other info: *bad* interviewer (at least at the CB stage)
Screeners: 36 (OCI+job fair)
CBs: 10
Offers: 3 (1 TX and 2 NY)
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:26 pm

School: UT
GPA: 3.5-ish
URM: Asian
Texas residency/ties: No
Interview skills: Average
Screeners: 45-ish (30-ish OCI+9 NYJF+5 MM)
CBs: 11 (7 OCI+2 NYJF+2 MM)
Offers: 4 (2 OCI+2 NYJF)

My four offers were also four of my first five CBs, and I doubt that was a coincidence. I sent about 100 MMs throughout the summer. I also turned down some of the MM screeners and one of the CBs. Offers expired before I heard back from three of the CBs.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:12 pm

KJD: One year off
TX Resident: Yes
Other info: LR, nothing spectacular in resume.
Screeners: 24 all OCI
CBs: 8
Offers: 3, but withdrew a couple before dings..

Note: heard from a partner at one firm that I got dinged by after a CB that they had more students this year who wanted to do lit. than ever before. And there lit group was on the smaller side. He said he was able to place students with my credentials that just said they were willing to try transactional, but I went in with 100% lit mentality. Maybe would have altered that strategy if I did it all again, based on practice group sizes of firms, but happy with where I'm going.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:48 pm

KJD
Texas Ties: None
Screeners: 15
CB: 11
CB Attended: 9
Offers: 8 (7 Texas, 1 NYC)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:53 pm

GPA: Top 10%
Texas Ties: Yes
Screeners: 12
CB: 10
CB Attended: 8
Offers: 8 (1 NYC, 7 Texas)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:16 am

GPA: Top 50%
KJD
Texas Ties: TX Undergrad
Screeners: 20 (all OCI)
CB: 11
CB Attended: 5
Offers: 3 (1 Big3, 1 TX, 1 DC)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:41 am

GPA: Median-ish
K-JD: No
Texas Ties: Yes & Undergrad
OCI Screeners: 23
CB: 8 (1 was pre-OCI)
Interview Skills: Good
Offers: (2 TX, and still waiting some out)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:15 am

GPA: Top 15%ish (well above 25% marker, not quite at 10%).
Screeners: 25
CB: 3
CB Attended: 3
Offers: 1 (Texas V100)

Interview skills obviously poor.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:26 pm

School: T20
K-JD: Nope
OCI Screeners: 4 (+1 MM)
CB: 2
Interview Skills: #s don't lie :lol:
Offers: 1 (TX)

EDIT TO GIVE TX ONLY NUMBERS
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:51 pm

School: T20
GPA: Top 30% (transferred from another TX school after 1L)
K-JD: No
OCI Screeners: 20 (OCI + job fair)
CB: 11 (all TX)
Offers: 5

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”