2016 Texas OCI (UT/University of Texas + All Others) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2016 Texas OCI (UT/University of Texas + All Others)

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:33 pm

Poldy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Student and at a non TX school who has had CBs at Paul Hastings Houston and K&E Houston, does anyone know their timelines? Would love to know the anecdotal CB-->offer/ding timelines.
KE has been within 24 hours from what I've seen.
I can confirm that KE Houston makes offers within 24 hours.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:41 pm

Does K&E email dings? I am one week post CB so it's not looking good.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does K&E email dings? I am one week post CB so it's not looking good.
Yes, they email.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone here who doesn't go to a Texas school and has no Texas ties that got CB's in Texas? lol ...just trying to gauge whether there's hope in massmailing Texas.
I go to an east coast lower Tier 1 and was able to get some success with Texas, albeit no offer yet. My school has a remote OCI program in Dallas in conjunction with a few other east coast lower Tier 1s so I was able to get a few screeners through that. I would try reaching out to alumni from your school at firms that interest you to see if they would talk to you about "entering the Dallas/Houston market." Mass mail unfortunately often seems like a bottomless pit and if you can get an alum at the firm to forward your resume to the recruiter/hiring partner it may actually get some attention. Let firms know when you are in town too. Firms are sometimes hesitant to fly someone in for a CB without ever meeting them and you being there already might be enough for them to want to meet you.

Also be prepared for lots of "Why Texas/Dallas/Houston?" especially if you did not grow up there. Texas is a good looking market on paper and Texas firms are sometimes skeptical that outsiders might be opportunist seeking flight risks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For those who've gone through this process before, how late do Texas firms make offers/is there such a thing as a second wave? Could it be different given that most firms are first half this year? What does it mean if you haven't heard from a firm after a CB in 2+ weeks?
Bump and more specifically, if you're holding onto multiple offers in Dallas or Houston can you post? That might explain why some haven't heard yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:35 pm

Have and am aware of people with multiple offers in both markets. Realistically, should be about 7-10 days out from when some of the oci callback offers will start to expire. Firms may extend that deadline, but I would guess you have people making decisions by end of week. Good luck.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone here who doesn't go to a Texas school and has no Texas ties that got CB's in Texas? lol ...just trying to gauge whether there's hope in massmailing Texas.
I go to an east coast lower Tier 1 and was able to get some success with Texas, albeit no offer yet. My school has a remote OCI program in Dallas in conjunction with a few other east coast lower Tier 1s so I was able to get a few screeners through that. I would try reaching out to alumni from your school at firms that interest you to see if they would talk to you about "entering the Dallas/Houston market." Mass mail unfortunately often seems like a bottomless pit and if you can get an alum at the firm to forward your resume to the recruiter/hiring partner it may actually get some attention. Let firms know when you are in town too. Firms are sometimes hesitant to fly someone in for a CB without ever meeting them and you being there already might be enough for them to want to meet you.

Also be prepared for lots of "Why Texas/Dallas/Houston?" especially if you did not grow up there. Texas is a good looking market on paper and Texas firms are sometimes skeptical that outsiders might be opportunist seeking flight risks.
When you ask an alum to forward your resume, do you first request an informational interview and discuss the firm, or straight up tell them you're interested in the firm/market and hoping they could forward app to recruiter?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For those who've gone through this process before, how late do Texas firms make offers/is there such a thing as a second wave? Could it be different given that most firms are first half this year? What does it mean if you haven't heard from a firm after a CB in 2+ weeks?
Bump and more specifically, if you're holding onto multiple offers in Dallas or Houston can you post? That might explain why some haven't heard yet.
I have a few offers in Houston and Austin and I plan to accept/decline them after the holiday weekend.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
When you ask an alum to forward your resume, do you first request an informational interview and discuss the firm, or straight up tell them you're interested in the firm/market and hoping they could forward app to recruiter?
I would always go the informational route. Introduce yourself as a student at XYZ Law School, explain you are interested in practicing in Texas, attach your resume for "background purposes", and ask if they would be able to talk to you. Most attorneys at big law firms aren't stupid and know that most 2Ls are looking for jobs right now. Most of them get the hint and will forward your resume anyway, however, it comes off as less pushy and more genuine if you request an informational interview. During your informational interview they may straight up ask you if you are interested in Big Law LLP, which is a perfect time to express your interest.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:37 pm

I have a few offers - which means I need to say no to some great firms:
1. Does that burn bridges and prevent me from getting hired as a lateral later on?
2. Anyone have advice on how to have the decline conversation with the hiring partner?

favabeansoup

Bronze

Post by favabeansoup » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a few offers - which means I need to say no to some great firms:
1. Does that burn bridges and prevent me from getting hired as a lateral later on?
2. Anyone have advice on how to have the decline conversation with the hiring partner?
1) Not at all. No one cares, and to be frank, they won't remember you a few years down the road. If anything it might help that they were willing to offer before.

2) "I really enjoyed meeting with you and everyone else, but I've decided to go with firm xyz." You don't have to explain why, they understand people choose other places.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a few offers - which means I need to say no to some great firms:
this convo feels like a huge deal to you but i promise it isn't for that hiring partner.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:37 pm

I think I got burned in the Texas market. 5 callbacks--no offers--around top 25% at H. I don't have ties, so that's what I'm assuming killed me. It's a shame b/c I really wanted to live in Houston.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think I got burned in the Texas market. 5 callbacks--no offers--around top 25% at H. I don't have ties, so that's what I'm assuming killed me. It's a shame b/c I really wanted to live in Houston.
Interesting. I applied and got screeners at quite a few Houston firms. I have extended family in Houston and ties in Dallas market. Career Services seemed to really push Houston since it is a larger legal market.

From the reaction in screeners, they did not really believe my ties with Houston or interest in working there. I wonder if Houston is more insular.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:56 pm

Any word on Thompson Knight (Dallas) offers? I interviewed on the the 26th, if that helps. I heard that they would be sending out offers after Labor Day.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:56 pm

Anyone heard of LL Dallas offers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:01 pm

Any news on Jackson Walker Houston? Anyone who has offers please say so - the stress is driving me insane.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any news on Jackson Walker Houston? Anyone who has offers please say so - the stress is driving me insane.
Bump. Wondering also

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:37 pm

A bit late, but how do you act best during a CB? Tips on what to do, what to avoid, how much you should research the firm/interviewers, things to say, not say, etc.? Thanks, y'all!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A bit late, but how do you act best during a CB? Tips on what to do, what to avoid, how much you should research the firm/interviewers, things to say, not say, etc.? Thanks, y'all!
Be friendly and enthusiastic. Certainly research the firm, but it isn't necessary to memorize every interviewer's undergrad or anything; just know the firm's main practice areas, general size, etc. Come up with a list of questions for your interviewers (e.g., why they joined the firm, whether the firm is looking to grow, how much experience young associates get, etc.). IMO (there may be some disagreement here), it's best not to actually bring the list with you and instead to leave your notepad/padfolio in your briefcase or bag. It seems more natural and friendly to just sit and chat.

Don't talk politics/religion/other similar subjects. Don't order anything messy or that you have to eat with your hands at lunch.

Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I think I got burned in the Texas market. 5 callbacks--no offers--around top 25% at H. I don't have ties, so that's what I'm assuming killed me. It's a shame b/c I really wanted to live in Houston.
Interesting. I applied and got screeners at quite a few Houston firms. I have extended family in Houston and ties in Dallas market. Career Services seemed to really push Houston since it is a larger legal market.

From the reaction in screeners, they did not really believe my ties with Houston or interest in working there. I wonder if Houston is more insular.

I am ~median at T6, and have offers in both Houston and Dallas, minor/no ties to each. For future readers, I think what worked was showing interest, knowledge and enthusiasm in the type of work that predominates Texas (energy). Have a cursory knowledge of what upstream, midstream, and downstream mean, etc. While having a second cousin in Katy, TX might work for some, it is a much stronger sell when you can articulate the professional reasons for wanting to be there. Then, when they invariably ask if you have family/ties in the area, you can mention any that exist, but circle back to the "real" reason you want to be there (the work).

I think the insularity varies by firm much more than market as well. K+E Houston all you have to say is you want to do energy restructuring work and they'll take it. Andrews Kurth, and you've probably got a much harder sell. Same deal with Kelly Hart/Jackson Walker versus Gibson Dunn in DFW. Also, a lot of firms in Dallas don't focus on energy so much, so take the above with that in mind.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:12 pm

Has anyone heard from Bracewell Austin?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from Bracewell Austin?
CBs are still ongoing at Bracewell Austin.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:35 pm

Anyone have thoughts on Alston & Bird Dallas? They just gave me an offer today. I know they were my favorite firm I interviewed with based on the people, but don't know much else about the Dallas office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any word on Thompson Knight (Dallas) offers? I interviewed on the the 26th, if that helps. I heard that they would be sending out offers after Labor Day.
I know of an offer given to an SMU student for TK Dallas.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”