UConn and want to move elsewhere Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

UConn and want to move elsewhere

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:00 pm

Long story short, since I started law school I wanted to practice in my state (Connecticut). However, for personal reasons, I'm thinking of moving down to South Carolina soon after I graduate. I'm not hoping for big law or anything (given that I'm at UConn), but looking for a firm of around 20-30 attorneys. I'm thinking of cold e-mailing firms in my practice area for advice/to start networking (as best as I can) around the area. Are there any SC attorneys hanging around that could give advice?

barkschool

Silver

Re: UConn and want to move elsewhere

Post by barkschool » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Long story short, since I started law school I wanted to practice in my state (Connecticut). However, for personal reasons, I'm thinking of moving down to South Carolina soon after I graduate. I'm not hoping for big law or anything (given that I'm at UConn), but looking for a firm of around 20-30 attorneys. I'm thinking of cold e-mailing firms in my practice area for advice/to start networking (as best as I can) around the area. Are there any SC attorneys hanging around that could give advice?
Transfer to USC

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:33 pm

barkschool wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Long story short, since I started law school I wanted to practice in my state (Connecticut). However, for personal reasons, I'm thinking of moving down to South Carolina soon after I graduate. I'm not hoping for big law or anything (given that I'm at UConn), but looking for a firm of around 20-30 attorneys. I'm thinking of cold e-mailing firms in my practice area for advice/to start networking (as best as I can) around the area. Are there any SC attorneys hanging around that could give advice?
Transfer to USC
I'm not sure how helpful this would be considering transfer periods are mostly over plus they'd have to pay sticker.

I'd consider a few things: 1. Go to your CDO and see if any UCONN alums are practicing in SC and hitting them up. 2. Looking at some real local government/PD/DA offices (small ones) and seeing if they have positions available for the summer. If you're going into 2L consider working in South Carolina essentially for free or cheap for the summer.

Your goal of a 20-30 attorney firm might be a little high. It's hard to go into a place without ties and not having a regional school behind you. Are you from SC by chance? But, I'd massmail a lot of SC firms I guess.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:32 am

foregetaboutdre wrote:
barkschool wrote:
Transfer to USC
I'm not sure how helpful this would be considering transfer periods are mostly over plus they'd have to pay sticker.

I'd consider a few things: 1. Go to your CDO and see if any UCONN alums are practicing in SC and hitting them up. 2. Looking at some real local government/PD/DA offices (small ones) and seeing if they have positions available for the summer. If you're going into 2L consider working in South Carolina essentially for free or cheap for the summer.

Your goal of a 20-30 attorney firm might be a little high. It's hard to go into a place without ties and not having a regional school behind you. Are you from SC by chance? But, I'd massmail a lot of SC firms I guess.
This will more than likely turn my idea even more laughable. But, I'm going into 3L, born and raised in CT, and have really only been to SC once for vacation. Honestly, I want to move down south because the job market is better for my wife, and SC seems like a pretty sweet state.

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
foregetaboutdre wrote:
barkschool wrote:
Transfer to USC

This will more than likely turn my idea even more laughable. But, I'm going into 3L, born and raised in CT, and have really only been to SC once for vacation. Honestly, I want to move down south because the job market is better for my wife, and SC seems like a pretty sweet state.
If your wife moves down there you have an automatic tie. Just massmail and see if you have any alums down there IMO. If you have good grades that will definitely help.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:00 pm

"SC seems like a pretty sweet state."

I spent a small portion of my childhood in SC, used to visit my grandparents there every summer, and am going to Charleston next weekend for a family function. I've never thought to describe SC as a "sweet state" but w/e.

If your wife is going to move down there, there's your tie. Even better if she is from SC or the South.

CoffeeIsLife

Bronze

Post by CoffeeIsLife » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:02 pm

You can PM me if you want. 3L originally from out of state and currently at USC. If nothing else I can talk about how I have expressed interest and ties and all of that for the jobs I have received.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”