How do you respond to "too many questions"? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How do you respond to "too many questions"?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:10 am

Granted I found the job posting on Craigslist but he still used his real name and identified his firm in the signature. The ad was filled with grammatical errors and seems to have copy and pasted two different positions into one, making it confusing as hell. It was some boutique investment firm that does IP financing, but it turned out to be a solo guy running the show. At first the guy seemed legit because he went to Wharton. He wanted me to show up to a full day work interview and it was for a contracted position that pays 15 an hour. The guy emails me a week after I applied and asks if I am still interested. Since I didn't wanna get raped in some Craigslist dungeon, I asked 3 questions related to the job, like "Will I be working with an in-house counsel or under supervision of other attorneys? Ad says possibility of a full time position... how long is the probationary period? etc." He responded this morning with "too many questions." Does this guy have his head up his ass or are some investment firms so busy that this is the norm?

GreenEggs

Gold

Re: How do you respond to "too many questions"?

Post by GreenEggs » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:14 am

This sounds sketch AF and the guy has his head up his ass
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:14 am

"How do you respond?" You don't.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:23 am

post ad please.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:26 am

pancakes3 wrote:post ad please.
I totally would but the guy seems psycho and he has my resume (without my address). I don't wanna end up on 9 o'clock news.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:post ad please.
I totally would but the guy seems psycho and he has my resume (without my address). I don't wanna end up on 9 o'clock news.
9 o'clock news is no big deal, the really gory murder scenes are saved for the 11 o'clock news.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:32 pm

senior people, and especially bankers, don't give a fuck about grammar or wasting their time.

small investment shops definitely don't want to waste their times with junior lawyers, considering they usually view all lawyers as impediments rather than things of value. hiring the first person they meet for client services/ops/legal/compliance (even if it's one person they expect to just do all of that) isn't unusual, so "too many questions" probably means just that

having worked at an investment bank and now a hedge fund (and being engaged to someone in finance so knowing his coworkers over the years), this behavior doesn't seem that strange

except for the craigslist part. that parts weird and rapey

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:50 pm

I don't see anything weird about this interaction at all.
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:06 pm

Danger Zone wrote:I don't see anything weird about this interaction at all.
not sure if srs

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:16 pm

OP here. The problem is he talks like he doesn't care whether the applicant might want to know more about the position or his company. How can someone comfortably interview with someone who shows contempt upfront? I don't think he knows how convoluted his job posting reads, but he's refusing to answer 3 basic yes/no questions and opts to waste both our time by showing up to work for a day to find out.

No matter how busy or experienced a person may be, he/she should never treat people, especially strangers, with disrespect and contempt. I think this is one of those things you just take for granted and learn in kindergarten and never really brought up again as adults.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:No matter how busy or experienced a person may be, he/she should never treat people, especially strangers, with disrespect and contempt. I think this is one of those things you just take for granted and learn in kindergarten and never really brought up again as adults.
What you don't understand is that you're literally worthless and interchangeable to him.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:47 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:No matter how busy or experienced a person may be, he/she should never treat people, especially strangers, with disrespect and contempt. I think this is one of those things you just take for granted and learn in kindergarten and never really brought up again as adults.
What you don't understand is that you're literally worthless and interchangeable to him.
That's not a point I am denying nor trying to make. Stay on topic please?

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:14 pm

That wasn't off topic.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:40 am

Just move on. You've already devoted more brain cells to this guy than he deserves. Some people are assholes, be glad you figured this one out before you showed up.

For the record, what sets off my bullshit detector is not "too many questions" but the "full day work interview" thing. Sounds like he just wants people to do this job for free.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”