3/L applying for jobs after grad - gpa and class rank issues Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Cat-Lady-Esquire

New

3/L applying for jobs after grad - gpa and class rank issues

Post by Cat-Lady-Esquire » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:59 pm

Ok, so I need a full time job after I graduate May 2017. I'm at a TERRIBLE law school due to needing a scholarship. My gpa and class rank are being pushed down by people cheating on tests, people putting out for grades, and a specific professor who does not like me because of me not responding well to his sexual harassment. My gpa and rank are not terrible but remember it is a 4th tier school and also I'm not in the top 10. I'm trying to decide if I should bring this up in applications or interviews or not. On one hand it could sound like I have sour grapes and am making excuses. On the other hand, it's hurting my ability to compete if I just don't say anything. At this point it's too late to resolve all these issues and correct grading before applications for employment after grad at some places starts to close, even if the school handled it right - and we all know they're not going to. So what do you think? Say something or don't? And how exactly does one bring up this topic tactfully? In some apps they ask for explanations of unusual grading systems if our school has one. I'm thinking filling in that box with "other students put out but I don't" isn't the most tactful way to handle that - lol! It's not going to be that funny when I'm jobless though! Has anyone else dealt with this?

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Re: 3/L applying for jobs after grad - gpa and class rank issues

Post by Winter is Coming » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:23 pm

Cat-Lady-Esquire wrote:Ok, so I need a full time job after I graduate May 2017. I'm at a TERRIBLE law school due to needing a scholarship. My gpa and class rank are being pushed down by people cheating on tests, people putting out for grades, and a specific professor who does not like me because of me not responding well to his sexual harassment. My gpa and rank are not terrible but remember it is a 4th tier school and also I'm not in the top 10. I'm trying to decide if I should bring this up in applications or interviews or not. On one hand it could sound like I have sour grapes and am making excuses. On the other hand, it's hurting my ability to compete if I just don't say anything. At this point it's too late to resolve all these issues and correct grading before applications for employment after grad at some places starts to close, even if the school handled it right - and we all know they're not going to. So what do you think? Say something or don't? And how exactly does one bring up this topic tactfully? In some apps they ask for explanations of unusual grading systems if our school has one. I'm thinking filling in that box with "other students put out but I don't" isn't the most tactful way to handle that - lol! It's not going to be that funny when I'm jobless though! Has anyone else dealt with this?
This is awesome. Definitely tell employers you are not in the top 10 because your classmates sleep with professors and cheat.

ETA: didn't read the whole thing and realize how obvious a troll this is.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:42 pm

Have sex with the Dean
Get the Dean to change your grades so you're #1 in the class
???????
Profit

Cat-Lady-Esquire

New

Post by Cat-Lady-Esquire » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:36 pm

Not a troll - though I can understand why you would think that. It speaks volumes about how badly this law school is being run that a post about it would be mistaken for trolling.

fauxpsych

Bronze

Post by fauxpsych » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:40 pm

Cat-Lady-Esquire wrote:Not a troll - though I can understand why you would think that. It speaks volumes about how badly this law school is being run that a post about it would be mistaken for trolling.

Don't take it personally, I have it on good authority that posters have to put out to the mods in order to not be treated as a troll.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:34 pm

I had a buddy go to cooley and witnessed several fights, baby mama drama, etc go down in the law school

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:49 pm

In case you're serious, you can't excuse away your performance by blaming it on others.

misterjames

Bronze

Post by misterjames » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:57 pm

this is painfully pathetic. can't wait for the inevitable day where OP argues opposing counsel is getting favorable treatment after polishing the judge's knob prior to a hearing

Cat-Lady-Esquire

New

Post by Cat-Lady-Esquire » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:02 pm

ballouttacontrol wrote:I had a buddy go to cooley and witnessed several fights, baby mama drama, etc go down in the law school
Yeah, I'm not going to name which school it is since I don't want to trash the name my degree will be from (it's a different school than Cooley). It is crazy what goes on in law schools - especially the ones at the bottom of the rankings who are still accredited. They will do ANYTHING for tuition money. They actually admitted a registered sex offender to this school. I really badly regret that I didn't just take on more debt and go to an actually good school. Too late to transfer now. Oh well, I'm graduating in 10 months. Can't wait to get out of here!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cat-Lady-Esquire

New

Post by Cat-Lady-Esquire » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:06 pm

zot1 wrote:In case you're serious, you can't excuse away your performance by blaming it on others.
Yeah, that's the problem. My performance is better than those who outrank me. One of them actually got fired from the part time job I currently have so I know that their grades don't reflect ability. It's just frustrating. If I say anything to employers it is going to sound unprofessional so basically those of us who are actually good at this stuff have to wait for those ones to get fired so we have a chance to get our foot in the door and prove ourselves. In my opinion the ABA needs to get a lot less generous with accrediting schools.

Cat-Lady-Esquire

New

Post by Cat-Lady-Esquire » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:17 pm

misterjames wrote:this is painfully pathetic. can't wait for the inevitable day where OP argues opposing counsel is getting favorable treatment after polishing the judge's knob prior to a hearing
Based on this response guessing that you are one of the knob polishers trying to convince people that this stuff doesn't go on in law schools. You're not going to succeed that way forever.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:18 pm

You should try to catch one of them confessing and secretly record it with your phone. That would give u the proof u need

Cat-Lady-Esquire

New

Post by Cat-Lady-Esquire » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:26 pm

ballouttacontrol wrote:You should try to catch one of them confessing and secretly record it with your phone. That would give u the proof u need
That is a great idea!

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:53 pm

Cat-Lady-Esquire wrote:
zot1 wrote:In case you're serious, you can't excuse away your performance by blaming it on others.
Yeah, that's the problem. My performance is better than those who outrank me. One of them actually got fired from the part time job I currently have so I know that their grades don't reflect ability. It's just frustrating. If I say anything to employers it is going to sound unprofessional so basically those of us who are actually good at this stuff have to wait for those ones to get fired so we have a chance to get our foot in the door and prove ourselves. In my opinion the ABA needs to get a lot less generous with accrediting schools.
Law school grades don't reflect a person's ability to practice. They mean the person is better at taking law school exams than you are.

Get better at taking law school exams, start trading sex for favors, or hire a hacker to change your grades.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”