Omitting bad law firm from resume? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Toni V

Bronze

Re: Omitting bad law firm from resume?

Post by Toni V » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:05 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote: The new firm might think it's weird when you do tell them about it after you get the job, and that might be kind of awkward or possibly even piss someone off, but none of those things are ethical problems.
The type of firms I am discussing do serious and thorough in-depth background checks. There is no “after you get the job.”

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Post by Winter is Coming » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:38 pm

When you fill out your prior work hs
Toni V wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote: The new firm might think it's weird when you do tell them about it after you get the job, and that might be kind of awkward or possibly even piss someone off, but none of those things are ethical problems.
The type of firms I am discussing do serious and thorough in-depth background checks. There is no “after you get the job.”
If you fill out a prior work history form and lie then its obviously a problem, but what the hell are you talking about? You can omit anything you want from your resume. But here they shouldn't omit it.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:47 pm

Winter is Coming wrote:When you fill out your prior work hs
Toni V wrote:
If you fill out a prior work history form and lie then its obviously a problem, but what the hell are you talking about? You can omit anything you want from your resume. But here they shouldn't omit it.
^this. I probably should have said "after you get the offer," but yet again, it is absolute not an ethical breach not to put this on a resume. Background checks cover all kinds of things like criminal history and credit checks that you definitely don't put on your resume. When it becomes necessary to disclose that stuff you disclose it, but that doesn't mean you have to put in on a resume.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:02 pm

OP here. As a junior associate I don't write down every pro bono work or even internship I did in the past, even if it involved internship at a law firm. I only put down work that has some relevance to the job I am applying for. Why would I waste precious space on my resume putting down some work history just because it exists? I don't see how there could be an ethical breach as resume is a collection of work demonstrating why you are qualified for the job. It is not a background check.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”