Omitting bad law firm from resume? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Omitting bad law firm from resume?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:29 pm

I want to disassociate from a crappy firm. I don't mean the firm is crappy because it's shitlaw or has no prestige; it is because the firm and the partner themselves do not have good reputation in the area, including to federal judges. Once I secure my next job, is it okay to leave this firm out of my work history? If so, how would I fill this 8-12 months gap?

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze

Re: Omitting bad law firm from resume?

Post by tyroneslothrop1 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:45 pm

Probably more hassle than it is worth. If I saw someone who worked for a firm with a terrible reputation for 8-12 months, I'd think to myself: "I understand why they moved on." I wouldn't hold it against them. A gap would probably raise more red flags. In a couple years you could omit it if you really wanted to.

Toni V

Bronze

Post by Toni V » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:56 pm

If you are ever seriously considered by a real law firm [i.e. “V”] they will have you thoroughly checked out. No way in hell would you ever be able to explain your omission of a previous legal employer. You would be immediately disqualified on ethics.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:24 pm

Toni V wrote:If you are ever seriously considered by a real law firm [i.e. “V”] they will have you thoroughly checked out. No way in hell would you ever be able to explain your omission of a previous legal employer. You would be immediately disqualified on ethics.
Leaving stuff off your resume is not an ethical breach. Lying on your resume, maybe. But a resume is a selection of your qualifications, not a sworn statement that you have disclosed everything you've ever done.

I agree the firm probably won't hurt you, and it's true that when a firm does conflicts checks they will need to know that you worked at this crappy place, so you'll have to tell them anyway, so leaving it off seems more trouble than it's worth. But it's not an ethical breach to leave it off your resume. (Maybe not to tell them for conflicts, but I would imagine that's a different process than just looking at your resume.)

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:25 pm

Even John Kasich keeps Lehman Bros on his resume.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thatbethat

New

Post by thatbethat » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:27 pm

Dont risk it. Such bigger downside to leaving it off and getting caught.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:52 pm

Toni V wrote:If you are ever seriously considered by a real law firm [i.e. “V”] they will have you thoroughly checked out. No way in hell would you ever be able to explain your omission of a previous legal employer. You would be immediately disqualified on ethics.
I doubt this is true in the context of a resume - it's just a personal advertisement you can put whatever you want or leave whatever you want off.

Any legal employer will definitely ask you for previous legal employers for conflicts purposes though and there's no way in hell OP could omit this firm then. The question is whether it's worth the awkward "wait why isn't this on your resume" conversation that has a good chance of coming up.

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:54 pm

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:59 pm

OP here. Will there be a conflict issue even if I worked as a law clerk and never filed any paper with my name on it? The reason why I want to leave this off is this firm is toxic and went bankrupt. It is barely staying afloat.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Will there be a conflict issue even if I worked as a law clerk and never filed any paper with my name on it? The reason why I want to leave this off is this firm is toxic and went bankrupt. It is barely staying afloat.
Yes, there can be a conflict based on your work as a clerk (or as a summer associate).

By the way, I think you're vastly overthinking this. Law firms dissolve/go bankrupt all the time. A junior associate is not tainted by association with such a firm. Leaving relevant legal experience off of your resume is weird and not in your interests.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:06 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Will there be a conflict issue even if I worked as a law clerk and never filed any paper with my name on it? The reason why I want to leave this off is this firm is toxic and went bankrupt. It is barely staying afloat.
Yes, there can be a conflict based on your work as a clerk (or as a summer associate).

By the way, I think you're vastly overthinking this. Law firms dissolve/go bankrupt all the time. A junior associate is not tainted by association with such a firm. Leaving relevant legal experience off of your resume is weird and not in your interests.
The partners will probably be disbarred or at worst, go to jail, for something they did before I got there.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:32 pm

All legal work has to be disclosed - I've had to fill out forms for serving as a legal assistant to a solo practitioner during college

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

The partners will probably be disbarred or at worst, go to jail, for something they did before I got there.
Then it sounds like you'll have some interesting stories to tell! Seriously, this is not as bad for you as you think it is. Put the legal experience on your resume.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:02 pm

rpupkin wrote: Then it sounds like you'll have some interesting stories to tell! Seriously, this is not as bad for you as you think it is. Put the legal experience on your resume.
every interview i had that asked why I left the firm, I said it's because i wanted more challenge and responsibility and something closer to home. would u at any point disclose the true reason?

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote: Then it sounds like you'll have some interesting stories to tell! Seriously, this is not as bad for you as you think it is. Put the legal experience on your resume.
every interview i had that asked why I left the firm, I said it's because i wanted more challenge and responsibility and something closer to home. would u at any point disclose the true reason?
If it's true that you want more responsibility and something closer to home, then say that. But if a bunch of folks (including you) were let go because the firm is about to collapse--and if the reasons for that collapse are publicly known--why not say that as well? It might actually help you. If someone stopped working at a healthy firm after just a few months, I would probably assume they were asked to leave for performance reasons. But if the firm is in massive trouble, I would assume that the departure is probably unrelated to performance.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:23 pm

rpupkin wrote:Edit: Removed double post
Last edited by rpupkin on Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:29 pm

OP- Your question was "Could/should I do this?' and the answer is "No." That's the answer. "No." You can keep fighting that for another page and a half, or just accept the answer that was given to you. Given the quality of the advice you have received I'm not sure why you would keep fighting against it or why you would ignore it but YOLO bro.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Toni V

Bronze

Post by Toni V » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:32 pm

2014 wrote: All legal work has to be disclosed - I've had to fill out forms for serving as a legal assistant to a solo practitioner during college
So true. If you omit your previous firm and your potential employer's point-of-view is that your omission is unethical....it's unethical. Short read....you're sunk.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:12 pm

rpupkin wrote: If it's true that you want more responsibility and something closer to home, then say that. But if a bunch of folks (including you) were let go because the firm is about to collapse--and if the reasons for that collapse are publicly known--why not say that as well? It might actually help you. If someone stopped working at a healthy firm after just a few months, I would probably assume they were asked to leave for performance reasons. But if the firm is in massive trouble, I would assume that the departure is probably unrelated to performance.
I am just worried that they might think I am connected to the unethical activities of the firm. It's just a really awkward conversation. "I left the firm because the partner was engaged in conduct that led to the firm's bankruptcy and possible investigation by the state bar. but I had nothing to do with it."

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:12 pm

Toni V wrote:
2014 wrote: All legal work has to be disclosed - I've had to fill out forms for serving as a legal assistant to a solo practitioner during college
So true. If you omit your previous firm and your potential employer's point-of-view is that your omission is unethical....it's unethical. Short read....you're sunk.
Disclosed for a conflicts check as part of the hiring process. Not on a resume. It's not any type of ethical violation to not put them on a resume.

OP, I agree with other folks here - especially as a law clerk, you have to kind of take the jobs that are available. I wouldn't be super concerned about it - I'd be more concerned about a gap in the resume. But if the firm really is that bad, then I don't think anyone will question why you left. Honestly, in that type of situation, I know if I were interviewing you, I'd be fine with you saying "I got the job, then realized it was kind of a shady place, but I needed the money so I stayed until I couldn't take it anymore / they collapsed / whatever." That's obviously going to be very dependent on your rapport with any interviewer, but generally speaking, people will understand.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote: If it's true that you want more responsibility and something closer to home, then say that. But if a bunch of folks (including you) were let go because the firm is about to collapse--and if the reasons for that collapse are publicly known--why not say that as well? It might actually help you. If someone stopped working at a healthy firm after just a few months, I would probably assume they were asked to leave for performance reasons. But if the firm is in massive trouble, I would assume that the departure is probably unrelated to performance.
I am just worried that they might think I am connected to the unethical activities of the firm. It's just a really awkward conversation. "I left the firm because the partner was engaged in conduct that led to the firm's bankruptcy and possible investigation by the state bar. but I had nothing to do with it."
C'mon. No one is going to think a law clerk is responsible for a firm going bankrupt. If asked, just say that you left because the firm was in financial trouble.

I agree that saying "but I had nothing to do with it" would be rather awkward, but that awkwardness would be entirely of your own making.

Let me draw an analogy. Imagine a college intern spent a summer working in the White House in 2005. When applying for jobs the following fall, the intern asks you for advice: "How am I going to make clear during interviews that I wasn't responsible for the mishandling of the Iraq war?" You'd laugh, right? Your situation is way more like this than you realize.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:52 pm

kalvano wrote:
Toni V wrote:
Disclosed for a conflicts check as part of the hiring process. Not on a resume. It's not any type of ethical violation to not put them on a resume.
Yeah, please stop saying it's unethical to omit past work from a resume. It's absolutely not. And the OP has never said anything about not revealing what's necessary for conflicts checks.

(All moot because the OP should just put the firm on their resume, but stop posting bad fear-mongering advice.)

Toni V

Bronze

Post by Toni V » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:23 pm

When the firm gives you an in-person callback and they go over your work experience and resume, you’re saying that it’s okay to omit a firm you recently worked for? This is your advice, seriously?

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:25 pm

Toni V wrote:When the firm gives you an in-person callback and they go over your work experience and resume, you’re saying that it’s okay to omit a firm you recently worked for? This is your advice, seriously?
I think you have a reading comprehension problem.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:51 pm

Toni V wrote:When the firm gives you an in-person callback and they go over your work experience and resume, you’re saying that it’s okay to omit a firm you recently worked for? This is your advice, seriously?
My advice is that the OP should put the firm on their resume, because the benefit of having legal experience to talk about outweighs any downside to being associated with the firm (which I think the OP is overestimating - I get why they're concerned, but I don't think it's the problem they fear it is).

But, no, not putting it on your resume isn't an ethical breach. The new firm might think it's weird when you do tell them about it after you get the job, and that might be kind of awkward or possibly even piss someone off, but none of those things are ethical problems.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”