Cost of Living Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Cost of Living

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:01 am

Just bought a new whip (picking up Saturday).

Trading in my 05 BMW 325ci for an 05 BMW 645ci with black wheels and matte black paint, and slightly lower miles. I think all of the partners have the same.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:20 am

Is it 1k/month tho?

nealric

Post by nealric » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just bought a new whip (picking up Saturday).

Trading in my 05 BMW 325ci for an 05 BMW 645ci with black wheels and matte black paint, and slightly lower miles. I think all of the partners have the same.
M6 or GTFO.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:20 am

nealric wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just bought a new whip (picking up Saturday).

M6 or GTFO.
Would love an M6, but I am very junior (with a fuck load of student debt still). 645 looks and sounds good, but doesn't perform anywhere near the M6, but to the poster two above me, it's not even close to $1k/mo. Sub $300/mo.

favabeansoup

Bronze

Post by favabeansoup » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:11 pm

Does everyone in this thread need to drive fast cars? I personally f'ing love Land Rovers. Give me a nice, big, comfy, overpriced ride for my morning commute over a fast M3-6 any day of the week. Bonus points for being a terrible parker and not having to worry about scratching car at all on the curb.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:28 pm

favabeansoup wrote:Does everyone in this thread need to drive fast cars? I personally f'ing love Land Rovers. Give me a nice, big, comfy, overpriced ride for my morning commute over a fast M3-6 any day of the week. Bonus points for being a terrible parker and not having to worry about scratching car at all on the curb.
No, we have a range also, but I never drive it because my wife loves SUVs and it's easier with kids. My BMW is great though for me (best of both worlds cause I can go fast, but when we go places together I usually drive her car).

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:37 pm

favabeansoup wrote:Does everyone in this thread need to drive fast cars? I personally f'ing love Land Rovers. Give me a nice, big, comfy, overpriced ride for my morning commute over a fast M3-6 any day of the week. Bonus points for being a terrible parker and not having to worry about scratching car at all on the curb.
I would kill myself if I had to drive a lumbering boat of an SUV. My wife's Land Rover is awful (to me) to drive. I like my 340i - give me small, fast, and responsive any day. Besides, my kid likes how daddy's car goes vroom vroom (he's going to love the M2 that's coming next).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:23 pm

Yea.. I've posted un anon in this thread, but my daily driver is a lifted size v8 king cab truck

A little nervous about too many details bc I very well may be one of very few ppl in big-ish law with my make/model

But it's sick for outdoors adventures, towing my boat, etc
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:58 pm

drives off in 10 year old Civic

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:09 pm

Go to a Dechert Philly/Skadden Wilmington and live like a straight G. Trust me, you'll be working so much the first five years, that you will be able to afford that week to visit NYC while still paying off a house in Philly or Wilmington. Don't fall into the trap of thinking the only way to make money is NYC. There is plenty to be had elsewhere.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Go to a Dechert Philly/Skadden Wilmington and live like a straight G. Trust me, you'll be working so much the first five years, that you will be able to afford that week to visit NYC while still paying off a house in Philly or Wilmington. Don't fall into the trap of thinking the only way to make money is NYC. There is plenty to be had elsewhere.
NYC might be a pretty bad place for making money. Great place for top notch work and training, but I think it's pretty much undisputed that more money can be made in any other city that pays Cravath scale...all of Texas, Philly, Wilmington, Yosemite Sam the guy from Crowell in Wyoming makes the most money lol. Even LA doods live better than NYC.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Go to a Dechert Philly/Skadden Wilmington and live like a straight G. Trust me, you'll be working so much the first five years, that you will be able to afford that week to visit NYC while still paying off a house in Philly or Wilmington. Don't fall into the trap of thinking the only way to make money is NYC. There is plenty to be had elsewhere.
NYC might be a pretty bad place for making money. Great place for top notch work and training, but I think it's pretty much undisputed that more money can be made in any other city that pays Cravath scale...all of Texas, Philly, Wilmington, Yosemite Sam the guy from Crowell in Wyoming makes the most money lol. Even LA doods live better than NYC.
Northern California is worse. Especially SV because u work in an objective shithole office park that still costs more than NY and likely commute over an hour

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”