Study abroad or improve GPA for a biglaw job? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Study abroad or improve GPA for a biglaw job?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:56 pm

I would like to get your opinions on this..

My school does not transfer grades earned from another law school, which means that if I study abroad, it will be pass/fail. My overall GPA would be 3.3x without the gpa from the study abroad semester.

If I complete my remaining semesters at my law school, the best scenario would be my overall GPA of 3.5x, assuming that I do well as I did during my 2L (my 1L GPA is below average)

I am a rising 3L and looking for a new post graduation job. I am working at a midsized firm as a SA but the pay is not good enough.

What do you think? Would 3.3x and 3.5x make a big difference? T30. I dont expect to learn anything substantial from the study abroad.

bwh8813

Bronze

Re: Study abroad or improve GPA for a biglaw job?

Post by bwh8813 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I would like to get your opinions on this..

My school does not transfer grades earned from another law school, which means that if I study abroad, it will be pass/fail. My overall GPA would be 3.3x without the gpa from the study abroad semester.

If I complete my remaining semesters at my law school, the best scenario would be my overall GPA of 3.5x, assuming that I do well as I did during my 2L (my 1L GPA is below average)

I am a rising 3L and looking for a new post graduation job. I am working at a midsized firm as a SA but the pay is not good enough.

What do you think? Would 3.3x and 3.5x make a big difference? T30. I dont expect to learn anything substantial from the study abroad.
I think the bigger issue is the timing. I did Biglaw 3L recruiting last year successfully. The interviews I had were mostly Sept-Oct. So, 3L grades did not come into play. I got the impression, though I could be mistaken, that most hiring is done during the fall semester. So, your grades wouldn't figure in but if you're abroad you also won't be able to interview. Others might be able to tell you if Biglaw firms do in fact still hire 3Ls in the spring, but that wasn't my experience nor anything I heard of from classmates.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”