GPA on Resume for OCIs Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

GPA on Resume for OCIs

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:13 pm

Hello,

I am a 3L bidding for OCIs. My GPA is 2.885. Should I put the number on my resume or say maintaining a B average? My GPA is within the B average range of my school's academic reporting guidelines. Thanks in advance.

Sprout

Silver

Re: GPA on Resume for OCIs

Post by Sprout » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hello,

I am a 3L bidding for OCIs. My GPA is 2.885. Should I put the number on my resume or say maintaining a B average? My GPA is within the B average range of my school's academic reporting guidelines. Thanks in advance.
A B average isn't a GPA. Put your GPA on your resume or leave it off entirely (although that would likely be a red flag.) I wouldn't fuck with
B average" though in writing on a resume. It's weird and unprofessional looking, imo. If you're unsure, maybe talk to your career services to see what other students in your situation do.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:17 pm

I'm not OP but I've always wondered. I'm at a school where our GPAs are not calculated by the school and we are expressly forbidden to put our GPA on our resumes. I never did and never thought anything of it, but since I've been on TLS more I wonder if it was a mistake. Never really talked about it with my friends.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:39 pm

If your school doesn't calculate GPA and you're forbidden to put it on your resume, you don't. OCI employers will know that no one from your school puts their GPA on the resume, so it's not going to hurt you. A lot of schools (especially where OCI is pre-select) don't have that rule, so at those schools you do, or at least, you can. If you can, you either put the actual GPA or don't - "maintaining a B average" doesn't mean anything and would just look weird. It also implies you have a 3.0, which you don't (original OP, that is, not the anon right above me).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:42 pm

Also not OP but I have a similar GPA question:

Lower T-14 transfer, I forgot to put my GPA on my resume when I submitted my bids, even though my rank is on there. My GPA is high (3.7+). Would it look bad if I go into OCI with updated resumes, and the only update being my GPA? Would the interviewers be like this guy is a moron?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:05 pm

Not op here. How about GPA on resume for an applicant 1 year out? Do jr associate applicants still put their GPA? Will 3.2 look bad?

h2go

Bronze

Post by h2go » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:Not op here. How about GPA on resume for an applicant 1 year out? Do jr associate applicants still put their GPA? Will 3.2 look bad?
If you are interviewing for biglaw firms, they'll still care a lot about your grades. They'll ask for your transcript whether you put your GPA on your resume or not.

elendinel

Silver

Post by elendinel » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:43 pm

If they ask for your transcript anyway, is it okay to just put class rank on the resume? I'm trying to keep my resume to one page, and adding the GPA will bump it to 2.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:50 pm

Not OP.

My school doesn't use GPA, but uses percentages and letter grades instead. Should I include the percentage/letter (eg. 81% or A- average) or would that not really mean anything to employers?

Edit: Coming from Canada where many firms may not be familiar with my school or its grading practices.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:06 pm

OP here. Thanks for the input everyone. I think I'll keep my GPA on my resume. I previously talked to my career counselor and she said that I should just keep my GPA on there. This was when my GPA was at 2.9ish.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”