Could you post your city-specific paragraphs from your cover letters? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Could you post your city-specific paragraphs from your cover letters?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:41 pm

You can obviously scrub it of any identifying information, but I'm kind of curious how that portion of a good cover letter should look. I don't really care where I live, so I'm worried I'm compensating by overdoing that section to an unbelievable degree. How detailed should I get about family in the area? What things should I talk about liking in the city? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Could you post your city-specific paragraphs from your cover letters?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:03 pm

In conjunction with judicial clerkships (U.S. Dist., U.S. Ct. Appeals), top 10% from T1, and strong extracurriculars, but no actual litigation experience, I got an interview to be an AUSA. Here's the second-to-last paragraph from a single-spaced cover letter that ran 1.5 pages. I used fictional places for confidentiality.

Finally, the prospect of relocating to the Middle District of Nowhere excites me. Although I am not from the area, my sister lives in Nowhere City. My brother-in-law’s parents are in the process of relocating to the same city and my mom has considered moving to the area as well. Furthermore, the Office likely requires a minimum time commitment from new hires, and I am happy to honor it. Therefore, the Office can rest assured of my commitment to the District.

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:03 pm

"Known for its brewing traditions, major new additions to the city include the Milwaukee Riverwalk, the Wisconsin Center, Miller Park, an expansion to the Milwaukee Art Museum, Milwaukee Repertory Theater, and Pier Wisconsin, as well as major renovations to the UW–Milwaukee Panther Arena. In addition, many new skyscrapers, condos, lofts and apartments have been constructed in neighborhoods on and near the lakefront and riverbanks."

yay

New

Post by yay » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:In conjunction with judicial clerkships (U.S. Dist., U.S. Ct. Appeals), top 10% from T1, and strong extracurriculars, but no actual litigation experience, I got an interview to be an AUSA. Here's the second-to-last paragraph from a single-spaced cover letter that ran 1.5 pages. I used fictional places for confidentiality.

Finally, the prospect of relocating to the Middle District of Nowhere excites me. Although I am not from the area, my sister lives in Nowhere City. My brother-in-law’s parents are in the process of relocating to the same city and my mom has considered moving to the area as well. Furthermore, the Office likely requires a minimum time commitment from new hires, and I am happy to honor it. Therefore, the Office can rest assured of my commitment to the District.
1.5 pages? I thought the rule of thumb was half a page to 1 page max...? but i guess it worked out for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”