2016 Pre-OCI Interviews Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2016 Pre-OCI Interviews

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:37 am

It's almost July and people are already mass mailing - ITT you can discuss where/when/if you had pre-OCI interviews. I will update OP.

Include in post - week MM sent + week firm responded w interview (screener or CB) + turnaround time between call back and offer

use the following codes if you want to include more information:
resume request post firm reception (FR), family ties (FT), networked all year (1LN), patent bar eligible (PB), pre LS paralegal/legal assistant (LA)

2016 Screeners:
Simpson Thacher

2016 Callbacks:
Debevoise NY
Paul Weiss
Skadden NYC
Covington DC

2016 Offers:
Debevoise NY

-------------------------------------------------------------

Before OCI last year there were a number of offers and callbacks. See below for reference.

Offers:
Cleary Gottlieb (NY)
Cravath (NY)
Davis Polk (NY)
Debevoise & Plimpton (NY)
Gibson Dunn (NY)
Kirkland & Ellis (NY)
Latham & Watkins (NY)
Morris Nichols (DE)
Paul Hastings (NY)
Paul Weiss (NY)
Potter Anderson (DE)
Skadden (DC)
Skadden (DE)
Skadden (NY)
Sullivan & Cromwell (NY)
Wiley Rein (DC)

Callbacks:
Akin Gump (DC)
Blank Rome (PA)
Cadwalader (NYC)
Cooley (CA)
dla piper (CA--LA)
dla piper (DC)
Fried Frank (NY)
Latham & Watkins (CA)
Latham & Watkins (DC)
Orrick (CA--LA)
Paul Weiss (NY)
Pillsbury (CA)
Schulte Roth & Zabel (NY)
Sheppard Mullin (CA)
Weil, Gotshal & Manges (NY)
Willkie Farr & Gallagher (DC)
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Re: 2016 Pre-OCI Interviews

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:19 am

Debevoise NY is doing callback interviews ans giving out offers for competitive candidates. Paul Weiss is also setting up interviews and presumably giving out offers. If you're a good applicant, you might want to think about reaching out to some of these firms. Going into OCI with an offer makes everything so much easier.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:22 am

Can anyone give an explanation for what these Pre-OCI Interview emails should say or include? I don't want to ruin my chances of getting an offer at a firm by making a dumb mistake in my june/july email to a firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:26 am

Just say ur interested in coming in early to learn more about the firm/come in for an interview/whatever. Honestly if you're a competitive applicant, they will want and try and scoop you up. But if your at median then you probably won't get a chance until OCI. I might be wrong on this but the "dirty rush" of pre OCI interviews seems to be more for people with killer grades who want to interview with a bunch of the top firms before OCI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:06 am

Anonymous User wrote: Before OCI last year there were a number of offers and callbacks. See below for reference.
Is there a thread from last year where you got this list of firms? Would be helpful, thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RareExports

Silver

Post by RareExports » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:12 am

It would be helpful if those providing data points would also include school or school range and class rank.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:34 am

email from Cleary DC that they are not conducting pre-OCI interviews for GULC students

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:00 pm

Know of one offer from Debevoise to a T1 top 10%.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:07 pm

I know one of the Debevoise offers is a bottom t14 at median

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:13 pm

Are these early Deb offers a sign that we should bid them higher for EIW/EIP (CCN)? On the theory that they will be offering fewer screeners than in previous years?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:47 am

Was told by a firm that my school told them not to conduct pre OCI interviews. Soft ding or reality?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:42 am

DB callback about a week and a half ago. no contact since. should i be worried or reaching out to the firm?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

xxLawSchoolIsHardxx

New

Post by xxLawSchoolIsHardxx » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:07 am

Why would any of you want to work BigLaw? You're going to be a slave to some jackass boss, who doesn't respect you. You will work hours on end, forcing you into whirlwind of cocaine addiction and depression. YOU ARE ALL ZOMBIES TO THE FREE MARKET CAPITALIST HEGEMON THAT IS THE BIGLAW PYRAMID SCHEME. Wake up, and just learn how to love.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:DB callback about a week and a half ago. no contact since. should i be worried or reaching out to the firm?
Which firm is "DB?"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:DB callback about a week and a half ago. no contact since. should i be worried or reaching out to the firm?
Which firm is "DB?"
debevoise

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Was told by a firm that my school told them not to conduct pre OCI interviews. Soft ding or reality?
what school/firm? see above for cleary DC response to GULC student

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Was told by a firm that my school told them not to conduct pre OCI interviews. Soft ding or reality?
what school/firm? see above for cleary DC response to GULC student
I seem to be the only C/O 2018 who posts from this school so outing the school will out me. T1 though. Firm was Venable NY.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:28 pm

Top 1%ers from TTTs, this is for you as well. If you networked during the school year, start following up about interviews, or ask if your connection can forward your resume to recruiting. Since many won't be coming to your OCI you want to get in before they are doing t14 OCIs and forget you exist. I had a bunch of pre OCI interviews at around this time last year. And was very happy with my results and skipped OCI.

Good luck. And God speed to all my fellow TTT warriors (and everyone else too)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Top 1%ers from TTTs, this is for you as well. If you networked during the school year, start following up about interviews, or ask if your connection can forward your resume to recruiting. Since many won't be coming to your OCI you want to get in before they are doing t14 OCIs and forget you exist. I had a bunch of pre OCI interviews at around this time last year. And was very happy with my results and skipped OCI.

I know this question has been asked before, but did you only ask your connections to forward your resume to recruiting or did you also reached out to recruiting coordinators with cold e-mails?

I've done informational phone calls with quite a few attorneys (none really lasting any longer than 30 minutes or so), and don't know if that's enough of a connection to follow up and ask them to forward my resume.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Top 1%ers from TTTs, this is for you as well. If you networked during the school year, start following up about interviews, or ask if your connection can forward your resume to recruiting. Since many won't be coming to your OCI you want to get in before they are doing t14 OCIs and forget you exist. I had a bunch of pre OCI interviews at around this time last year. And was very happy with my results and skipped OCI.

I know this question has been asked before, but did you only ask your connections to forward your resume to recruiting or did you also reached out to recruiting coordinators with cold e-mails?

I've done informational phone calls with quite a few attorneys (none really lasting any longer than 30 minutes or so), and don't know if that's enough of a connection to follow up and ask them to forward my resume.
Both. If I didn't have a connection I mass mailed on my own. If I had someone I hit it off with I tried to use them as a way of not getting my email auto discarded

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Both. If I didn't have a connection I mass mailed on my own. If I had someone I hit it off with I tried to use them as a way of not getting my email auto discarded
What was the normal turnaround from the time your connection forwarded your resume to the time the recruiter reached out? I've done that with a few and I haven't heard anything from the recruiter. I didn't know if I should still reach out to the recruiter cold now that someone at the firm has passed along my resume or wait. It's been about a week for one firm and about 5 days for the other.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:00 pm

same poster as above- give it a couple of days. I had calls start trickling in early July as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:22 pm

Timing Question- When is it too late to start reaching out to firms pre-EIP?
Is the middle of next week cutting it too close?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:42 pm

What happens to our OCI interview if we go screener --> no CB or screener --> CB --> strike out? NYU doesn't allow you to cancel interviews after July 31 -- if you strike out after that, it will be pretty awkward to do a screener.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”