Cover letter advice Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Cover letter advice

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:17 am

I can't find much advice on cover letters on TLS. I think the template given by my law school is garbage (4 paragraphs with repeating info), I plan on using one I found floating around TLS too mass mail. My question is, is there anything else I should keep in mind as I fill in this cover letter?

«Contact_Full»
«Contact_Title»
«Law_Firm»
«Address»
«City», «State» «Zip»

Dear «Contact_Last»:

I am a second-year law student at _______________________ and I am writing to apply for a summer associate position at «Law_Firm_Short_Name» for 2015. Enclosed are my résumé, transcript, and a writing sample.

I am especially interested in ______________________ law as well as __________________________ because of my experience with ________________. It is this interest that has led me to inquire about opportunities at «Law_Firm_Short_Name».

[Paragraph about me].

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

lavarman84

Platinum

Re: Cover letter advice

Post by lavarman84 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:49 am

I wouldn't tell them you're interested in specific areas of the law. Best to be flexible.

mister logical

Bronze

Post by mister logical » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:13 am

lawman84 wrote:I wouldn't tell them you're interested in specific areas of the law. Best to be flexible.

Yeah I think "transactional" or "litigation" is probably good enough.

yay

New

Post by yay » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:19 pm

not op here. but wouldnt it better to highlight your prior work experience and specifically say you are interested in "x litigation/transaction" rather than just saying you are seeking opportunities in x city?

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:41 pm

yay wrote:not op here. but wouldnt it better to highlight your prior work experience and specifically say you are interested in "x litigation/transaction" rather than just saying you are seeking opportunities in x city?
Not unless you know the firm is looking to hire in that specific area. Otherwise, you risk someone looking at that and thinking "Huh, he wants to do M&A. Too bad ECB is where we really need people."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:46 pm

I shoehorned my geographic tie and interest in an early sentence. E.g. "As a lifelong Chicagoan, I am seeking ..." etc. My sense is that no one spends more than ten seconds reading these, so you want something important up front.

yay

New

Post by yay » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:44 pm

How does one write a cover without highlighting the area of law they have interest in and showing an interest in a particular field? Wouldnt that make u sound like u just want a job anywhere?

Or is this limited to 2L SA OCI advice? My question was from a POV of a recent graduate.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:17 pm

yay wrote:How does one write a cover without highlighting the area of law they have interest in and showing an interest in a particular field? Wouldnt that make u sound like u just want a job anywhere?

Or is this limited to 2L SA OCI advice? My question was from a POV of a recent graduate.
This is an SA thing, as stated in the OP. Your situation is different.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:00 am

If targeting a specific market that is NOT nyc, make sure you highlight that in the first paragraph. Also highlight work experience if you have any. Every single applicant wrote xyz memo in legal research, honed their writing skills, etc.

Have to stand out in some way. The best way to do that is: geographic connection, work experience, grades, and journal/moot court experience (not necessarily in that order), NOT coursework.

Also, expressing interest in a specific practice group is probably a bad idea. Stick with "litigation" or "corporate/transactional." But make damn sure that the office has a substantial group doing one or the other. For ex: my office is solely litigation, yet tons of folks at receptions/networking events say "oh I want to do transactional work, etc etc." NALP has a lot of this information -- use it!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”