Applying for Jobs While Doing Summer SA Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Applying for Jobs While Doing Summer SA

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:19 am

I'm a 2L doing a SA position at my dream firm. Based on their history, and what I've heard from other associates, the expectation is that I get an offer at the end of the summer. However, I'm not comfortable banking on that & do plan to send out resumes to other firms starting in July.

That said, while I'm in a decent-sized city, there aren't that many "big" law firms & I'm at one of them. Since it's a fairly small legal community here, I'm worried that if a partner at my firm hears I'm applying for other jobs they'll think I'm not interested in the job there. (which is the OPPOSITE of the message I want to send) I'd like to believe that they're smart enough to know that I'd rather not graduate unemployed & need to cover my bases...but I'm still a bit worried.

For those of you who have done this, how did you handle this situation?

Return to “Legal Employment”