Mass Mailing Before OCI (low GPA) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Mass Mailing Before OCI (low GPA)

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:01 pm

I ended the year at a T14 with pretty abysmal grades (bottom 1/5). I've read some recommendations that you start mass-mailing prior to OCI in such a situation, but I'm trying to verify that and figure out how I'd even go about it. Career Services specifically tells us not to start early (although if it helps my chances I have no problem ignoring them), but could that actually hurt me? Like would firms think it was weird to get an app early only to see you at OCI later? If I were to go ahead and do it should I address the fact that I'll be participating in OCI, or just ignore it?

Any insight is appreciated, and thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: Mass Mailing Before OCI (low GPA)

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:21 pm

what is bottom 1/5 at a T14 considering grades are inflated?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:03 pm

<3.1ish

chicago-gunner123

New

Post by chicago-gunner123 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I ended the year at a T14 with pretty abysmal grades (bottom 1/5). I've read some recommendations that you start mass-mailing prior to OCI in such a situation, but I'm trying to verify that and figure out how I'd even go about it. Career Services specifically tells us not to start early (although if it helps my chances I have no problem ignoring them), but could that actually hurt me? Like would firms think it was weird to get an app early only to see you at OCI later? If I were to go ahead and do it should I address the fact that I'll be participating in OCI, or just ignore it?

Any insight is appreciated, and thanks.
Definitely mass mail all NYC firms not coming to OCI and any firm from your home market(s) not coming to OCI

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:41 pm

3.1 is bottom third, you're not as low in the class as you think. Mass mail and practice interviewing and you'll be fine. It probably won't be pretty, but you can definitely get something through mass mail/OCI

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:05 pm

Ideally you wouldn't mass mail a firm that you got an OCI interview with, but this can sometimes be difficult depending on when OCI bid results come out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”