writing sample advice Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
yay

New

writing sample advice

Post by yay » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:03 pm

Sorry posted this in the wrong forum. I'd appreciate any advice.

In general, I am informed that 7-10 pages is good and that if i have actual work experience, then it's better to use the material while employed than something I wrote in law school.

I have a writing sample from mootcourt (7-10 pages) which received a 87% or B+. I also have a portion of MSJ I wrote for work, which my boss said was very helpful. However, it's no more than 3 pages. Which should I use?

fauxpsych

Bronze

Re: writing sample advice

Post by fauxpsych » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:01 pm

When I interned for a judge last year, she gave me some great advice when I was facing a similar issue.

Unless otherwise stated, the sample does not have to be 7-10 pages of a single work.

In my sample I included a brief internal research memo (that I had permission to use), the fact section of a moot court brief, and an excerpt of the legal analysis section of a decision I drafted (also received permission). I used the first page as a brief table of contents summarizing and explaining the contexts of the 3 types of writing.

Never received any complaints about it and formatting it this way allowed me to display the range of legal writing I was comfortable with.

yay

New

Post by yay » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:25 pm

fauxpsych wrote:When I interned for a judge last year, she gave me some great advice when I was facing a similar issue.

Unless otherwise stated, the sample does not have to be 7-10 pages of a single work.

In my sample I included a brief internal research memo (that I had permission to use), the fact section of a moot court brief, and an excerpt of the legal analysis section of a decision I drafted (also received permission). I used the first page as a brief table of contents summarizing and explaining the contexts of the 3 types of writing.

Never received any complaints about it and formatting it this way allowed me to display the range of legal writing I was comfortable with.
Thank you for the great advice. Do you happen to have a sample of the ToC page online where you got inspiration from?

fauxpsych

Bronze

Post by fauxpsych » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:58 pm

yay wrote:
fauxpsych wrote:When I interned for a judge last year, she gave me some great advice when I was facing a similar issue.

Thank you for the great advice. Do you happen to have a sample of the ToC page online where you got inspiration from?

Didn't use a sample. Just kept it simple and typed it out myself.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”