Massmailing different offices of firms at the same time Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Massmailing different offices of firms at the same time

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:49 pm

Wondering if it's a good strategy to massmail one firm's different offices to maximize the chance that my resume will be in front of eyeballs, or I should just email my preferred office and express an interest in both cities. Speaking of DC and NY specifically. Thanks in advance for help!

RaceJudicata

Gold

Re: Massmailing different offices of firms at the same time

Post by RaceJudicata » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:54 pm

Mass mail both offices that you are interested in. But don't say you are interested in the other office. There is less collaboration b/w offices than you would think.

By way of example:

Dear Big Law LLP:

I am interested in a summer position, yada yada yada. I am particularly interested in NY offfice for xyz.

Letter two:

Same as before, but "I am interested in the DC office because xyz.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:05 am

As long as they have different recruiting contacts I think it's generally fine to send a unique app to each office.

kingpin101

Bronze

Post by kingpin101 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:20 am

Yeah if the contacts are different they're not gonna be checking each other's resume stash for overlaps (I hope).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:02 pm

OP here. Thanks for help! Will do as advised.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Thanks for help! Will do as advised.
Do make a good faith effort to check if you know anyone who's summered there or gone through the interview process for that firm. There are a significant number of firms (including both I've worked at) where the hiring of summer associates is actively coordinated between offices for OCI schedules/etc., and this wouldn't look great, especially for the offices where we care significantly about making sure the people we bring in want to live/work in X city.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Thanks for help! Will do as advised.
Do make a good faith effort to check if you know anyone who's summered there or gone through the interview process for that firm. There are a significant number of firms (including both I've worked at) where the hiring of summer associates is actively coordinated between offices for OCI schedules/etc., and this wouldn't look great, especially for the offices where we care significantly about making sure the people we bring in want to live/work in X city.
That's why it's MASS mail though. Yeah there are going to be a few firms that won't like it, but I think on balance you're better off sending apps to multiple offices. For the record: I think you should pick one office for Jones Day and Latham.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:32 am

hoos89 wrote:As long as they have different recruiting contacts I think it's generally fine to send a unique app to each office.
So if its the same recruiting contact, what would you suggest?

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
hoos89 wrote:As long as they have different recruiting contacts I think it's generally fine to send a unique app to each office.
So if its the same recruiting contact, what would you suggest?
Pick one office, and I'd recommend making it the one with the biggest summer program.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”