Law firms without a website... worrisome? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Law firms without a website... worrisome?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:06 am

Just got an interview. Found the job posting through online ad. The lawyer who contacted me seems legit in good bar standing and went to a T14. The firm sounded legit with requirements asking for top 15% students from top 20 law schools.

But realized no website. Their website only lists their address on a white empty background. Searched archives and found that they never had a working website. It seems highly unusual for self touted top small firm to not have a website. Should I be worried?

criminaltheory

Bronze

Re: Law firms without a website... worrisome?

Post by criminaltheory » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:00 am

How small and what clientele? My boss (solo) is just getting around to getting a website after like 30 years of private practice. The clients have all been word of mouth or referrals from other offices, and a small ad in a neighborhood paper.
That's only to say not all website-free firms are sketchy, it just may never have been part of the model. Can you ask around for others to vouch for them?

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:32 pm

There are plenty like that.

Especially at a small firm. If they work off referrals or they have clients feeding them tons of work, they don't need a website.

Not necessarily worrisome, but see if you can find out some other info about them via word of mouth.

it could have some long term negatives that you need to work around though.

bern victim

Silver

Post by bern victim » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:26 pm

do they have a yelp

JGMotorsport

New

Post by JGMotorsport » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:02 pm

Are they just old?

The best Tax Law boutique in my town was 6 attorney's and no website. No need and no want. In some ways websites hurt high end clients when they are corny or pushy. Advertising is better for accident lawyers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:00 pm

I know of one very successful small firm that has no website. They never have. When the two lawyers formed it, they each had numerous long time and continuing clients in two different practice areas. Now they don't advertise at all, all clients are word of mouth. But they recently hired their first associate (young). I've been meaning to ask him how he even found out of the opening but I don't know him that well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”