When You Don't Fit In as an SA Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
WheninLaw

Silver

Re: When You Don't Fit In as an SA

Post by WheninLaw » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:19 pm

oblig.lawl.ref wrote:
WheninLaw wrote:No chance this is a problem if you aren't coming off as an asshole.

This is dumb.
Good post.

Do you really think people get no-offered for being introverts? Come on.

poweradezero

New

Post by poweradezero » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:36 pm

What would constitute doing something firable? Would hanging out with a fired associate during lunch hours be such an act?

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:41 pm

poweradezero wrote:What would constitute doing something firable? Would hanging out with a fired associate during lunch hours be such an act?
Lol, I did this at my first SA. No one cared and a lot of the other associates were still friends with the dude. Nbd. I just definitely definitely would not try to stay there long term.

But to OP, just chill and switch firms after your summer is over. You obviously don't fit the culture, which is fine as long as you're not at a firm that no-offers a lot of people. You'd know if you're at a firm that regularly no-offers for non-egregious reasons.

Towards the end of the summer, start sending applications out. Especially once you get the offer, it should be pretty easy to lateral. In smaller markets (one of my summers was in a similar sounding small satellite of V50ish firm) firms seem like they can have very strong cultures. The culture of the summer office I was in was MUCH different than even the culture of the market where it was located. It would have been very easy to move to another firm with a better culture. Just chill, don't do anything weird, get the offer, and you're good to seek a better fit

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:09 pm

OP here. Just came back to say thanks for the advice here. Everything actually ended up working out just fine. People began warming up to me and I got my offer to come back today.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”