Georgetown EIW - 2016 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Georgetown EIW - 2016

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:17 pm

I've turned down (NYC) Covington, Kirkland, and Weil in the last day. Have at 'em!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:18 am

Has anyone heard of W&C offers going out (or of W&C interviews that are still scheduled for next week)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:31 am

The last few EIW threads ended with some people filling out this little list of outcomes. Clearly they're just individual datapoints, but I found them useful. Here goes.

Approximate class rank: Top 1/3, but more like 20/25% (3.5x)
Journal: Secondary
Moot Court, Beaudry, etc.: No
IP background: No
Significant work experience: Yes
Years out of undergrad: 4-ish
Prestigious undergrad: No
Other relevant factors (e.g., URM, LBGT, age/prior life experience, military): Nope
Target markets: NY and DC and International
Type of work sought: Depended on interviewer
Self-assessed interviewing ability: Pretty good
Screeners or callbacks prior to EIW from mass-mailing: 0
Screeners received for EIW: 18 (9 straight lottery, 2 from post-lottery e-mailing, 2 contacted me, 5 from open sign-up)
Callbacks received from EIW screeners: 7
Offers received from EIW: 3: V10, V20 and V50. Did 6 callbacks and canceled 1.

Thoughts:
- The lottery didn't go as expected. I only received 2 of my top 10 bids, and 5 of bids 11-20. Through outreach and open sign-up I was able to get three more of my top 10 and a few more scattered through the list. The basic lesson here is that e-mailing recruiters definitely helps, and open sign-up can be very productive.
- GULC threads on TLS seem to be very critical of the careers staff, but I met with several different counselors and I thought they were clear about firms where I wasn't competitive and where I was. Obviously they don't know everything, but I don't know where all the negativity towards them comes from. I showed up with a bidlist and said "does anything here seem wrong/strange?" and I made a few changes due to their comments. Useful.
- I don't know anyone who didn't interview better later on in EIW than in the beginning. You answer the same questions over and over, so your answers are better practiced and more fluid later on. I did all the practice interviews, but I wished I'd done even more. The whole "know thyself" thing is true.
- I targeted one firm that I really liked for a variety of practice area reasons. It was the only firm where I reached out to a current summer and a current alum associate, and I made sure to mention my positive conversations with both of them during the interview. I told the interviewer that I bid them Number 1, which was true. This is firm where I will be summering. I do believe a convincing and authentic display of well-researched enthusiasm made an impact. I don't think it would be realistic to try to have this sort of approach to more than a couple of firms, but it seemed evident to me that it was well-received in my case.
- Several screener interviews that felt great did not convert to callbacks. All of my callbacks were at places with medians that were close to my GPA. At least in my case, that GPA seemed to be the decisive indicator.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

genericlawstudent

New

Post by genericlawstudent » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:54 pm

Approximate class rank: top ~15%
Years out of undergrad: 3-ish
Other relevant factors (e.g., URM, LBGT, age/prior life experience, military): Nope
Target markets: NY
Type of work sought: Mostly corporate
Self-assessed interviewing ability: Average
Screeners or callbacks prior to EIW from mass-mailing: 3 screeners; 2 CBs
Screeners received for EIW: 19 (13 straight lottery, 6 from open sign-up)
Callbacks received from EIW screeners: 11 (9 from EIW; 2 pre-OCI). Cancelled 1 CB.
Offers received from EIW: 2 V50s

Got rejected from all V10 firms that I had CBs with (which were more than half of my CBs) :?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:51 am

Approximate class rank: Bottom 1/3
Journal: Ain't nobody got time for that
Years out of undergrad: 5ish
Other relevant factors (e.g., URM, LBGT, age/prior life experience, military): Yes (not URM)
Target markets: NY, DC, CA
Type of work sought: Corporate
Self-assessed interviewing ability: Strong
Screeners or callbacks prior to EIW from mass-mailing: 4 screeners, 2 cbs
Screeners received for EIW: 20 (12 lottery, 6 open signup, 2 unsolicited shadow schedule)
Callbacks received from EIW screeners: 4
Offers received from EIW: 4. 3 from EIW screeners, 1 from pre-EIW screeners.

Thoughts: Though it was a roller coaster of emotions for 1.5 months, I can look back now and say I'm satisfied with my outcome (especially given my grades). All of my offers were V100. Although one of my cbs and some of my strongest screeners were with V50 firms, the grades proved to be a barrier to getting to the next level.

Advice for people reading this in the future: (1) One offer came from a firm which I'd gone way out of my way to network with during the school year. I know for certain that was a factor in me getting a cb. (2) To the extent you know what practice you want and can identify current trends/need in a target office, do w/e you can to demonstrate that interest. That's where your 1L summer experience does matter. You can answer the "why our firm" question by simply reciting something from their website or Chambers, but the "why ___ law" question can get you way more mileage. (3) And of course, practice your interviewing & look sharp.

The best advice is to get great grades so the above won't matter as much, but this is my recipe for success as a sub-median bro.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:45 am

genericlawstudent wrote:Approximate class rank: top ~15%
Years out of undergrad: 3-ish
Type of work sought: Mostly corporate
Screeners or callbacks prior to EIW from mass-mailing: 3 screeners; 2 CBs
Screeners received for EIW: 19 (13 straight lottery, 6 from open sign-up)
Callbacks received from EIW screeners: 11 (9 from EIW; 2 pre-OCI). Cancelled 1 CB.
Offers received from EIW: 2 V50s

Got rejected from all V10 firms that I had CBs with (which were more than half of my CBs) :?
Damn all things considered, good job. Do you know why the cb to offer ratio was so low? Or did u cancel some?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:The best advice is to get great grades so the above won't matter as much, but this is my recipe for success as a sub-median bro.
Best bet is probably to do what you did and get good grades as well lol.

Approximate class rank: 3.6X
Journal: No
Years out of undergrad: 4-6
Other relevant factors (e.g., URM, LBGT, age/prior life experience, military): No
Target markets: DC and 2 secondaries w/ ties, some NYC
Type of work sought: Litigation, unless firm had a practice in my niche background
Self-assessed interviewing ability: C+
Screeners received for EIW: 30 (~25 at EIW + post-EIW screeners)
Callbacks received from EIW screeners: 3
Offers received from EIW: 0

Definitely wish I spent more time during the school year networking, thinking about why I wanted to do X law.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:28 pm

Approximate class rank: Top 10%
Years out of undergrad: 5ish
Other relevant factors (e.g., URM, LBGT, age/prior life experience, military): No
Target markets: DC
Type of work sought: Litigation
Self-assessed interviewing ability: Average to good
Screeners or callbacks prior to EIW from mass-mailing: 1
Screeners received for EIW: 21 (10 lottery, 6 shadow schedules, 5 open sign up)
Callbacks received from EIW screeners: 14 (went on 12, cancelled 2)
Offers received from EIW: 8

Thoughts:
- I pulled CBs with firms with high GPA medians more easily than those with lower ones. For future students bidding on DC with strong grades, I wouldn't bid too conservatively. If a firm's GPA median is a bit lower than yours and you really want a shot at it, have a pretty compelling answer for why you are interested in that firm and do some pre-EIW networking to demonstrate that interest. (That's good advice for firms you are really interested in regardless of their GPA median, of course)
- There is a level of randomness to everything-- you can get lucky and hit it off with a hiring partner; on the other hand, you might have an interview where you struggle to connect with the person even though you were prepared. You can get a callback from an interview that felt like it went poorly and then not get one from one that felt fine. Don't read too much into things.
- Ask good questions! Especially at the callback stage, they leave a lot of time for questions. Be ready with good, well-researched, interesting questions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:03 pm

I'll play.

Years out of undergrad: Non-traditional
Prestigious undergrad: Hahaha! Opposite of...
Target markets: Large Secondary with strong ties
Self-assessed interviewing ability: Good
Screeners or callbacks prior to EIW from mass-mailing: 3
Screeners received for EIW: 5 (only ones in the market)
Callbacks received from EIW screeners: 5 (went on 4, cancelled 1)
Offers received from EIW: 2 (withdrew from consideration for 2)

Takeaways: I don't think I am a naturally-gifted interviewer. It was work, but it worked. (1) Practice smiling like you mean it. My cheeks were sore after callback days. (2) Diving DEEP into firm research served me well. At least one interviewer at each callback acknowledged their appreciation of my questions about the firm/their practice. (3) Actively work on making your "story" sound like it flows naturally from conversation. Heck, toss in a scripted pause if it makes your response seem less rehearsed.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:00 pm

Unnaturally smiling is weird practice being sociable not smiling like a madman and not bidding conservatively only is good advice for people with top grades median bros don't overshoot their GPA in DC

Minnietron

Silver

Post by Minnietron » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:10 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:Unnaturally smiling is weird practice being sociable not smiling like a madman and not bidding conservatively only is good advice for people with top grades median bros don't overshoot their GPA in DC
uncertain exactly what you are saying due to a lack of punctuation and possibility of multiple readings :lol:
Last edited by Minnietron on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:31 pm

Approximate class rank: Top 15%
Moot Court, Beaudry, etc.: yes
Significant work experience: yes
Years out of undergrad: 4
Prestigious undergrad: yes
Target markets: DC only
Screeners or callbacks prior to EIW from mass-mailing: 1
Screeners received for EIW: 5
Callbacks received from EIW screeners: 2
Offers received from EIW: 1 (withdrew from the other before a decision)

Biglaw isn't my first choice so I only targeted a few firms, mostly above my GPA range, just to see what I could get. I really didn't want to do EIW and it probably showed. The one offer I got was a firm that I definitely thought would be out of my league, and does work that I could conceivable not hate, so I guess I got really lucky, especially given my strategy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:10 pm

Approximate class rank: T4 Transfer Top 10%
Significant work experience: No but a lot of internships interviewers found interesting
Years out of undergrad: Straight from Undergrad to Law-School
Other relevant factors (e.g., URM, LBGT, age/prior life experience, military): URM
Target markets: NY, DC, LA, CHI, Midwest
Type of work sought: Litigation/Open
Screeners received for EIW: 12 (9 from bidding, 3 from open-signup)
Callbacks received from EIW screeners: 2
Offers received from EIW: 1 : V100 firm, pulled out of other firm after received offer

Thoughts:

Feel like I got pretty lucky all things considered. Both callbacks were from my hometown in the midwest where I grew-up and went to undergrad, so being willing to go home is probably what saved me. It's a pretty uncompetitive market too so I'm sure that helped. The offer I got was from my top choice firm. I did email an associate who works at that firm and is a GULC alum in the summer and ended up having a phone conversation with them that went well. Afterwards he emailed me to let me know that he passed my name along to the recruiter. This was in the summer so after I had my screener interview, I emailed him again and asked if he would be willing to pass my name along to the recruiter one more time so they don't forget about me, which he did. When I got my callback the recruiter specifically told me that I was on her radar for a while because of the associate passing my name along so don't underestimate reaching out to alum at firms you're really interested in. It really can make a difference. Got an offer the day after my call-back interview and waited until after I did another callback in the same city. Accepted after about a week. There are some screeners that I was really surprised I didn't get a call-back from but I guess it can be hard to gauge. Anyways, happy with how things turned out, although disappointed I wasn't as competitive as I thought I would be. But can't complain.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:11 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:35 pm

Approximate class rank: Top third
Significant work experience: No but a lot of internships interviewers found interesting
Years out of undergrad: Took one gap year after undergrad and just screwed around
Prestigious undergrad: Yes
Type of work sought: Corporate
Screeners received for EIW: 18 (14 from bidding, 3 from open-signup, 1 from resume collect)
Callbacks received from EIW screeners: 10
Offers received from EIW: 4 - pulled out of several after receiving V10

Thoughts:

First of all, a lot of OCS' advice is pretty useless. If you built a robot and programmed it to do all of the things OCS said you should do in an interview, you would get an instant ding because interviews are not exams, they're a test to see if you're a normal person. Structuring a solid narrative from your resume and cracking the 'why law and why me' question will give you all the ammo to coast through with natural ease. Having a section of my resume detailing my interests and hobbies was a huge plus because it gives an opportunity to talk about something fun and show them you're not a tasteless asshole. Other than that it's largely a numbers game and you should refer to GPA medians and class sizes to target firms. IMHO people outside the top third generally have a disproportionately harder time building a bid list as the firms with the biggest classes tend to have a top thirds as a rough preference. But plenty of people outside the top third end up getting callbacks from those firms anyway. I also emailed associates at firms before OCI to ask them questions and get a few insider tips. This helped me massively during OCI as I was able to drop names and juicy details. Anyways OCI blows and the hotel is dripping with pretension, asshattery, and desperation during that disgusting, humid and sweaty week. But the feeling of success afterwards is immense. Good luck y'all.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:49 am

anyone in here going to Wilmington, DE?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:11 pm

Journal: GLJ
Moot Court, Beaudry, etc.: Yes
Years out of undergrad: Several
Target markets: NYC Only
Screeners or callbacks prior to EIW from mass-mailing: 3 (1 screener, 2 screeners/callbacks)
Screeners received for EIW: 21 (18 from lottery, 3 set up independent of lottery)
Callbacks received from EIW screeners: 14 (Accepted 7)
Offers received from EIW: 1 offer pre-EIW, 5 offers from EIW callbacks

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:46 am

How the hell is everyone in this thread in the Top 10% or Top Third?

Glasseyes

Silver

Post by Glasseyes » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How the hell is everyone in this thread in the Top 10% or Top Third?
Top third is 200+ people; top 10% is close to 70. Since these posts serve no functional purpose beyond anonymous gloating, the bottom half of the class is much less likely to post, for obvious reasons.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:02 pm

-

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:08 pm

Approx. class rank: median
Journal: secondary
Moot Court, Mock Trial, etc.: no
IP background?: yes
Significant work experience?: yes
#Years out of undergrad: 5+
Prestigious undergrad: no
Other relevant factors: no
Target markets: DC/NY
Type of work sought: niche/lit
Self-assessed interviewing ability: above average
#Screeners or callbacks prior to EIW from mass-mailing: 0
#Screeners received for EIW: 20
#Callbacks received from EIW screeners: 10 (incl. V5)
#Offers received: 5
Offer Accepted: 1

Other/Commentary: outperformed #s, maybe bc IP background, maybe bc good narrative

[meant to do this a while ago, wanted to add for 2017 EIW]

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”