Should I start polishing my resume Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Should I start polishing my resume

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:21 am

My group has been slow and my hours have really suffered. I am not the slowest, but definitely not in best place. The hours were a main topic of my review, though besides that the reviews were good. Was also told that they might look into getting me work from another practice area. Would prefer to stay at current firm if everything else is equal, but also do not want to be blindsided if this is their way of telling me to start looking. So, TLS, what do you think?

Anonymous User

Re: Should I start polishing my resume

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:24 am

I'm in a very similar position (except haven't got the review yet). I'm going to start polishing my resume.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:36 am

It sounds like they're being upfront with you - your hours are slow, it's a problem, and they're going to work with you on that.

But just because they're going to work with you doesn't meant it will work out. I'd polish your resume, just in case. Always good to be ready with a backup plan.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:41 am

My old firm used to give this line to people as a "soft talk" before giving the "hard talk" sometime later down the road. Absolutely start looking around. This talk may be used against you when it comes time to give you a deadline.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:04 am

I don't get how hours being down is the associate's fault. Doesn't it just mean the firm isn't bringing in enough work?

This doesn't change the fact as to whether OP should polish resume, but at a more fundamental level I don't understand how this is a "problem" the firm is willing to "work" with OP about.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gk101

Gold

Post by gk101 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:36 am

Br3v wrote:I don't get how hours being down is the associate's fault. Doesn't it just mean the firm isn't bringing in enough work?

This doesn't change the fact as to whether OP should polish resume, but at a more fundamental level I don't understand how this is a "problem" the firm is willing to "work" with OP about.
could also mean that people don't want to work with you which should be a huge red flag. if the hours are down but the practice group is busy, you are in trouble and should gtfo

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:51 am

Because everyone else is being super negative, I'll put a positive spin on what you said: You got overall positive reviews, your hours are low because your group is slow, and they're willing to help you get work from another group that isn't slow to remedy this. It's possible they're trying to retain you so you don't leave exactly like you're considering now.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:13 pm

It depends a little on the group. If it's general lit or corporate slow cycles are normal. If it's a really specialized cyclical thing like mortgage lit maybe worry. But you should keep a current resume anyhow.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:14 pm

are you at Covington DC

if so yes

TFALAWL

Bronze

Post by TFALAWL » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:52 pm

jbagelboy wrote:are you at Covington DC

if so yes