Hours after leave for mental health issues Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Diamond

Re: Hours after leave for mental health issues

Post by 20160810 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:if this could be moved to another more appropriate forum, as this thread has veered considerably away from useful employment advice
Would it help if we arbitrarily sprinkled in references to Vault rankings?

trbrny

Bronze

Post by trbrny » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:It's just that it keeps getting bumped to the top when people make useless comments, like you just did
and if you're that invested in keeping it here why not just unanon your advice
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.
I would think that a post related to someone's mental health and their job and the on topic responses should definitely be anon, as per the rules. You, on the other hand, are just using the anon feature to be a dick without anyone knowing who you are. Why else would you want to shield your identity in your post? For someone that insists on adherence to the rules, you are doing a terrible job at it yourself. I vote for you to get outed at the very least.

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:12 am

Last edited by Sprout on Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:31 am, edited 4 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:13 am

SBL wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:if this could be moved to another more appropriate forum, as this thread has veered considerably away from useful employment advice
Would it help if we arbitrarily sprinkled in references to Vault rankings?
only if they're alphabetized. or in chronological order. no wait alphabetized AND in chronological order. with no gaps, mind you

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:14 am

trbrny wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It's just that it keeps getting bumped to the top when people make useless comments, like you just did
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

I would think that a post related to someone's mental health and their job and the on topic responses should definitely be anon, as per the rules. You, on the other hand, are just using the anon feature to be a dick without anyone knowing who you are. Why else would you want to shield your identity in your post? For someone that insists on adherence to the rules, you are doing a terrible job at it yourself. I vote for you to get outed at the very least.
I'm not harassing anyone, and you're being a reactionary ass.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

trbrny

Bronze

Post by trbrny » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
trbrny wrote:
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Just suggesting that, given your egregious use of anon to shield your identity while being a dick, you do not have any sort of moral high-ground to comment on other, more legitimate (per the rules) use of anon herein. At least I don't hide behind the anon name in order to be a dick. I do so openly and notoriously.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:29 am

trbrny wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
trbrny wrote:
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Just suggesting that, given your egregious use of anon to shield your identity while being a dick, you do not have any sort of moral high-ground to comment on other, more legitimate (per the rules) use of anon herein. At least I don't hide behind the anon name in order to be a dick. I do so openly and notoriously.
asking about a thread re-categorization is not being a dick, and get over yourself

trbrny

Bronze

Post by trbrny » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
trbrny wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
trbrny wrote:
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

asking about a thread re-categorization is not being a dick, and get over yourself
lol. I will innocently ask about a thread re-categorization, but i MUST be anon.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:41 am

trbrny wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
trbrny wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
trbrny wrote:
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

lol. I will innocently ask about a thread re-categorization, but i MUST be anon.
You have no idea what you're talking about, so please shut the fuck up. I'm politely requesting as anon.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:48 am

Why use anon to merely ask for thread re-categorization? There's no need. Unless you're trying to hide your identity for some reason. Like being a dick. And yes, it is being a dick when there's a legitimate and very helpful discussion ITT about mental health, work, and treatment. Ergo, you use anon because you knew you said a dickish thing ("Wahh some posts may not be 100% on point with legal employment"). And you keep using anon when it's unnecessary. So you're both a dick and a coward.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:52 am

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:Why use anon to merely ask for thread re-categorization? There's no need. Unless you're trying to hide your identity for some reason. Like being a dick. And yes, it is being a dick when there's a legitimate and very helpful discussion ITT about mental health, work, and treatment. Ergo, you use anon because you knew you said a dickish thing ("Wahh some posts may not be 100% on point with legal employment"). And you keep using anon when it's unnecessary. So you're both a dick and a coward.
You don't know when it's necessary or not, and
you are actually the dick, go back and read your posts. You think you are adding anything to this thread, with these comments you are making while not anon?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:57 am

-
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:uh, anyhow...OP this is anon from 8:12 pm (or, depending on your time zone. 8:12 PDT yesterday)
I don't know if you're still wading through all this, but since you mentioned the posts concerning people who have left the firm: the first person I referenced left due to PTSD from (I think) a variety of sources, among them being assaulted in college. She is, I think, in the process of moving away from law and she seems to be doing very well and good. The deadlines and stress of the firm weren't great for her but she's quite a brilliant person and is doing fine. (in academia, which may sound stressful, but there isn't half a million dollars riding on it if you're late grading your students papers.) I think she is very successful, and I know it seems impossible to leave law and most of us here think it's the end of the world, but honestly, outside I think people don't care at all and certainly don't think of it as failure. As I said, she's doing very well, (last I heard, though she's often out of contact for awhile as I mentioned).
A little more detail about the second situation-- I think she's also in academia. To put it tactfully she was very, very difficult to work with in the office, but she also seems to be doing fine--I know less about her situation and don't really see her anymore, but she seems quite successful as well. Not sure about anything more specific with her mental illness.
Thanks for the added context. I might be kidding myself, but I really don't think anyone knows why I was gone. In the first situation you described, do you know if your friend was let go for hours (or missing deadlines, or work quality problems), or does it sound like it was the stigma of people thinking she couldn't handle the job just because she'd done treatment for mental health issues?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

trbrny

Bronze

Post by trbrny » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
LaLiLuLeLo wrote:Why use anon to merely ask for thread re-categorization? There's no need. Unless you're trying to hide your identity for some reason. Like being a dick. And yes, it is being a dick when there's a legitimate and very helpful discussion ITT about mental health, work, and treatment. Ergo, you use anon because you knew you said a dickish thing ("Wahh some posts may not be 100% on point with legal employment"). And you keep using anon when it's unnecessary. So you're both a dick and a coward.
you are actually the dick, go back and read your posts. You think you are adding anything to this thread, with these comments you are making while not anon?
Fool. We do know when it's necessary and when it's not -- it says it in a big yellow box at the top of the page every single time you make a post. I think you've just proven our point, LaLiLuLeLo does not unnecessarily hide behind an anon when he makes post, hence the reason he is not a coward and you are. I will also point out that (a) you clearly don't know how to read and follow rules and (b) you have never once responded directly to our assertions and explained that you have some other legitimate reason for posting as an anon, other than to be a cowardly dick. Your inability to understand rules, basic logic and respond on point to questions makes me wonder about what you actually do for a living (I hope it doesn't include any actual legal work).

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:11 am

We've already established the post isn't going to get moved and I agree the posts didn't need to be anon, but let's not derail what is otherwise a helpful and necessary thread. (Anon person who wanted the thread moved, in future use the report button for something like this - it doesn't take the thread off-topic and it guarantees a mod will see it.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:26 pm

trbrny wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Fool. We do know when it's necessary and when it's not -- it says it in a big yellow box at the top of the page every single time you make a post. I think you've just proven our point, LaLiLuLeLo does not unnecessarily hide behind an anon when he makes post, hence the reason he is not a coward and you are. I will also point out that (a) you clearly don't know how to read and follow rules and (b) you have never once responded directly to our assertions and explained that you have some other legitimate reason for posting as an anon, other than to be a cowardly dick. Your inability to understand rules, basic logic and respond on point to questions makes me wonder about what you actually do for a living (I hope it doesn't include any actual legal work).
You have not posted one thing here that doesn't directly feed your own ego. come up with something constructive to say to OP or GTFO
The only reason I'm not fighting back as I normally would to your asinine posts is because I'm anon; you're not clever, you aren't winning any arguments and you're talking to someone who isn't going to respond to any of your points because my hands are tied, You can say all kinds of stupid shit, and feel pleased with yourself becuase youre such an awesome internet hero. What the hell are you doing polluting this thread, other than to feel like a self-righteous ass? Neither of you are defending anyone, you're jacking off to your own virtue. You're so brave. You have no idea what that word means.
I dont post anything that can't be unmasked by the mods. I'm willing to de-anon every post I've made on tls, if you do it too, since you're such a fucking badass.
are you a mod, then I'll explain my reason for anon to you, otherwise you can shut the fuck up.

I'm done with this topic and not making any more responses on this thread

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
trbrny wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
You have not posted one thing here that doesn't directly feed your own ego. come up with something constructive to say to OP or GTFO
The only reason I'm not fighting back as I normally would to your asinine posts is because I'm anon; you're not clever, you aren't winning any arguments and you're talking to someone who isn't going to respond to any of your points because my hands are tied, You can say all kinds of stupid shit, and feel pleased with yourself becuase youre such an awesome internet hero. What the hell are you doing polluting this thread, other than to feel like a self-righteous ass? Neither of you are defending anyone, you're jacking off to your own virtue. You're so brave. You have no idea what that word means.
I dont post anything that can't be unmasked by the mods. I'm willing to de-anon every post I've made on tls, if you do it too, since you're such a fucking badass.
are you a mod, then I'll explain my reason for anon to you, otherwise you can shut the fuck up.

I'm done with this topic and not making any more responses on this thread
Only - it's only internet. Why you heff to be mad?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:40 pm

Only - it's only internet. Why you heff to be mad?
sure. we agree on something. ima go punch some holes in a wall now
[really gone now, mods]

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:21 pm

I don't necessarily disagree with the idea that firms wouldn't fire OP when he or she disclosed they had a mental illness, but would starve them of hours upon their return. What I'm having trouble understanding is how starving them of hours, and then letting them go helps the firm. Presumably, OP would be able to show a time frame of when their workload faltered so the firm wouldn't be insulating itself from liability, but would be suffering an expense. I'm not doubting this happens, but it seems dumb. If anything, they'd facilitating a common scheme of a discriminatory pattern - creating more evidence, not less, but paying salary.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:I don't necessarily disagree with the idea that firms wouldn't fire OP when he or she disclosed they had a mental illness, but would starve them of hours upon their return. What I'm having trouble understanding is how starving them of hours, and then letting them go helps the firm. Presumably, OP would be able to show a time frame of when their workload faltered so the firm wouldn't be insulating itself from liability, but would be suffering an expense. I'm not doubting this happens, but it seems dumb. If anything, they'd facilitating a common scheme of a discriminatory pattern - creating more evidence, not less, but paying salary.
It's pretty hard to prove why you're not getting hours though. Maybe people didn't like your work, maybe the people who liked your work got slow, maybe the hours you would be getting are now going to first year associates with slightly cheaper rates, maybe the firm is slower overall, maybe you're asking for work in a way that turns people off, etc. Sure, maybe they got suspicious about your leave and don't want to take the risk that you'll need to be out again and get stuck having to prep another associate right before a bunch of depos you were supposed to take, or maybe they think less of you for taking leave at all. But maybe it's a blend of things, and regardless, it would be hard to show that the reason your hours dried up was retaliation, especially since it's a bunch of different attorneys making the calls about staffing you on cases or giving you projects.

This is what I was/am worried about, and it doesn't really matter if it wouldn't be in the firm's best interest, because it comes down to stigma and neuroses at a personal level, not a calculated decision at an institutional level, I think. This is why I've been as careful as possible to be vague about why I was gone and not correct people who seem to assume on their own that it was a "physical" issue.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”