Help! I haven't written a memo in two years... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Help! I haven't written a memo in two years...

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:36 pm

and when I did I barely tried for my pass/fail legal writing class. An attorney at my SA has been giving me some research to do and I have been orally relaying my findings, but today he drops the bomb that he wants me to write a short memo on it. How the fuck do I even write a memo without looking like an idiot? I have the research, but actually putting it down is stressing me out because I feel like I've never really done it before.

What are your best memo writing tips??

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Re: Help! I haven't written a memo in two years...

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:46 pm

For real, just read the important sections on this book (http://www.amazon.com/Legal-Reasoning-W ... l+research) and look at all the appendicies in the back (sample memos), which are pretty legit. u can digest all all this over this weekend and start writing it monday morning.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:59 pm

Find a memo that attorney wrote. Follow the format. Don't get creative.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Find a memo that attorney wrote. Follow the format. Don't get creative.
This. Or ask an associate in the practice group if they have a sample memo that they used for that attorney.

sprezz

Bronze

Post by sprezz » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:45 am

what they said.

at a general level, and a practical level for someone who might suck at writing memos, best memo writing tips:

1. question & short answer - these are no different than what you're relaying orally, probably. get them down as clearly as you can to increase even slightly the chance that the reviewing attorney just skims the rest of the analysis or can mentally autopilot to fill in any gaps in your logic based on the fact that you foreshadowed enough for them to do that. have a short answer for each question that is concise and clear. "Probably not because _____."

2. full answer ("discussion" or whatever) - just take each step of your reasoning or research and make each one a header in a draft. read them in a row to see if they make sense sequentially, or if there's two that are subsidiaries of another [e.g. #2 (a) and (b)]. move them around until you think they make sense and are in something of a logical order. then, piece by piece, pick a header and show your work. just prove that individual point and move on to your next header. cite liberally to your research, because that's really the value in a summer's research memo (record of relevant case law so associates can review when issue actually materializes in december). you can delete some or all of the headers later to make it look less goofy as necessary (a 2 page memo doesn't need 9 headers). but even if it looks weird your shit will make sense, be in some logical order, and have cites. that's good enough.

3. write a conclusion and cross check it against your short answer. make them consistent. if the writing process made you realize that there are actually 3 issues not 2, then add a question and a short answer for the new issue. basically, just think of all the different sections as ways to check your work in the other sections. (this is what the header rejiggering is doing too, just up front for someone who's struggling putting something down in the first place.)

4. check for typos. smooth out transitions from header to header or section to section, especially if you deleted the headers and they don't serve as built in (albeit abrupt) transitions on their own. check for typos again. aaaand done.

this is not going to have you writing like scalia. but it will help your product look and read like a memo that doesn't suck. as a summer, "not sucking" is a pretty okay outcome.

logicianwannabe

New

Post by logicianwannabe » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:25 am

Also, don't make it unnecessarily long. Just walk through the analysis and either answer the question presented or explain what the areas of uncertainty are. Never spend more than one or two sentences giving your own thoughts or opinions. A pet peeve of mine is the eager-beaver "think piece" publi policy essay that summer associates sometimes write in response to a memo assignment.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”