Document Review Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
L_William_W

Bronze

Document Review

Post by L_William_W » Sun May 29, 2016 2:40 pm

No snide, sarcastic, or condescending remarks. Helpful advice only...

I attended law school in NYC (CUNY School of Law). My grades were mediocre (mostly B's, a few A's, a few D's). One summer, I interned at a Supreme Court (in NY, the Supreme Court is the lowest court). I took the NY bar twice and got manhandled each time. I took NJ on my third attempt and flunked. On my 4th attempt, I passed NJ.

I'm currently working part time at a non-legal gig (a college TA). I also volunteer part time at a legal aid clinic. I'm so tired of the resume, cover letter, letters of recommendation bullcrap.

How hard is it for a law grad who passed the bar to get a job as a document reviewer? At this point, I would clean up elephant dung if it mean erasing my $100,000 student loan debt.

Anonymous User

Re: Document Review

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 29, 2016 6:00 pm

The firms that are hiring random JDs to be staff attorneys churning doc review are all biglaw firms. In order to get one of those positions, you'll need NY bar admission. There are a handful of large-ish firms in NJ or biglaw firms with NJ (mostly Newark) offices, but I'm not sure if they hire doc review attorneys in those offices, and anyway you'd be barking up a lot fewer trees. (Also, the NY bar changed a lot this year as they switched to UBE, so it might be time to go for it again regardless.)

Otherwise, it's mostly about being a warm body. They'll hire anyone with a JD, NY bar admission and a willingness to do mindless work long hours for $40-50k a year. Turnover is very high, so there's often demand (though it will vary from firm to firm; layoffs happen a lot when multiple big cases end around the same time, too, so a single given firm may not be hiring at any given time). A lot are hired through the low-end job placement companies, like Robert Half. Grades/law school don't really matter.

Diamond

Re: Document Review

Post by 20160810 » Sun May 29, 2016 7:08 pm

Have you considered robbing a bank?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”