Already hating NYC Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Platinum

Re: Already hating NYC

Post by 071816 » Sat May 28, 2016 3:16 pm

pussy

iliketurtles123

Bronze

Post by iliketurtles123 » Sat May 28, 2016 3:23 pm

Lived in NYC for 3 years. Hated all 3. It doesn't get better

Maybe check out neighborhoods outside of Manhattan. It's different, and may not have a lot of attributes you mentioned you hate.
dm1919 wrote:If you don't like the city, then, to be blunt, you should just leave. There's enough people here already and we can do without you.

Sincerely,

A New Yorker
Perfectly illustrated. People here seem to all hate each other and seem to be miserable, but they just don't know it.
You don't realize how shitty the people in NYC are until you leave and wonder why everywhere else in the US treats you so well.

There's also a sense of elitism. I think being in the center of it all gives people a sense of importance. "We're New Yorkers. You can't hang? Get out" seems to be pretty good at illustrating this attitude. Sorry dude but "liking NYC" doesn't make you hot shit.

That's not to say that NYC sucks in general. It just isn't for everyone. But people shouldn't give someone shit just because they're acknowledging they hate NYC.

bearsfan23

Gold

Post by bearsfan23 » Sat May 28, 2016 3:39 pm

Did you not do callbacks in NYC?

All of what you're complaining about should have been obvious to you well before your SA.

As for advice, either try to switch offices within your firm or do 3L OCI.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Sat May 28, 2016 3:41 pm

I think if you live in mid town you are living in a shit show. If you live in upper Manhattan/Brooklyn/Queens/Hoboken it is much more manageable.

You have a job. Try to get through a year. No one will question why you want to leave NYC because most people eventually do.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 28, 2016 3:45 pm

Totally understand. I worked in NYC for a couple years between college and law school. I hated it so much, I passed up my boss' offer to pay for law school if I would stay in the job and go to law school locally PT. I just wanted out. I have no problems with most large cities--later enjoyed living in Boston, Chicago, and DC (where I'm settled now as a Fed). I just felt that NYC was overwhelmingly large and prohibitively expensive for the kind of family lifestyle I wanted WITHOUT having to work a BigLaw job. Plus honestly, I couldn't stand the snobbery and odd provinciality of many Manhattanites.

I would suggest that you spend your weekends this summer exploring the outer boroughs and suburbs, and see if you can find some place you could conceivably settle down in. There are neighborhoods in Brooklyn, Queens and Long Island that I liked a lot, but couldn't afford--but you should be able to on a BigLaw salary, especially if you're a dual income family. Check out any nearby offices that your firm has, if any, in Long Island, Albany, NJ or maybe even CT.

Is this your first or second summer?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 28, 2016 3:57 pm

jarofsoup wrote:I think if you live in mid town you are living in a shit show. If you live in upper Manhattan/Brooklyn/Queens/Hoboken it is much more manageable.

You have a job. Try to get through a year. No one will question why you want to leave NYC because most people eventually do.
^for sure, they do. see under Darwin, Theory of evolution, Survival of the fittest.

seriously though, a week is a tad premature to be making this kind of judgment. You know nothing of the city now. Tho, it's surely true that no one will try to stop you if you leave.

damn, wrong key, this is kaysta

bretby

Bronze

Post by bretby » Sat May 28, 2016 4:01 pm

SLS_AMG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It's hot, dirty, crowded, and expensive.
I laughed out loud at this. Sorry.

I mean, what did you expect? I can see the filth coming as a surprise to some people, but if you've lived in major cities like you say, it really shouldn't. I can't think of a major city in the world that isn't pretty dirty. London and Paris are filthy. San Francisco and LA are filthy. Maybe Chicago and DC are clean in comparison, but I'd hardly call them clean.

There's no reason the climate, crowds, or expense should be any surprise whatsoever unless you just went in totally blind having done no research. I guess the magnitude of each could be surprising, but still.

I mean, it sucks, because you either love New York or you hate it. There's not much middle ground. And it sounds like you just hate it.
The funny thing is, NYC is not even that dirty......
But it is true that in the summer everything seems to be covered in a fine layer of grime, but I think that's mostly because many places don't have AC and so everyone is slightly sweaty.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Sat May 28, 2016 4:53 pm

bretby wrote:
SLS_AMG wrote:

I mean, what did you expect? I can see the filth coming as a surprise to some people, but if you've lived in major cities like you say, it really shouldn't. I can't think of a major city in the world that isn't pretty dirty. London and Paris are filthy. San Francisco and LA are filthy. Maybe Chicago and DC are clean in comparison, but I'd hardly call them clean.

There's no reason the climate, crowds, or expense should be any surprise whatsoever unless you just went in totally blind having done no research. I guess the magnitude of each could be surprising, but still.

I mean, it sucks, because you either love New York or you hate it. There's not much middle ground. And it sounds like you just hate it.
But it is true that in the summer everything seems to be covered in a fine layer of grime, but I think that's mostly because many places don't have AC and so everyone is slightly sweaty.
NYC has mountains of trash bags piled on a sidewalk every day. Where do you think the bums use the bathroom at night time when public buildings are closed?

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat May 28, 2016 5:45 pm

bearsfan23 wrote:Did you not do callbacks in NYC?

All of what you're complaining about should have been obvious to you well before your SA.

As for advice, either try to switch offices within your firm or do 3L OCI.
How are people supposed to know they'll hate living in New York from a few days in the city where they're living in hotels and spending most of their time in interviews?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

skeenbr0

New

Post by skeenbr0 » Sat May 28, 2016 7:08 pm

I'll just drop in this oldie but goodie from the Onion:
http://www.theonion.com/article/84-mill ... rk-c-18003
and be on my way.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat May 28, 2016 10:21 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:
bretby wrote:
SLS_AMG wrote:

NYC has mountains of trash bags piled on a sidewalk every day. Where do you think the bums use the bathroom at night time when public buildings are closed?
That's bullshit. Only midtown on trash day has mountains of trash

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Sun May 29, 2016 12:59 am

Lifelong New Yorker here.

Long Island > New Jersey if you like suburban living.

NYC in the summer is NYC at its worst. Fall, winter and spring in NYC are much better in my opinion.

King Cayuga

Gold

Post by King Cayuga » Sun May 29, 2016 1:17 am

NYC definitely has a lot of shitty aspects but I can definitely see why the summer is generally regarded as the worst season. Hot, sticky weather makes everyone even more unpleasant than usual and makes the trash mountains and bums smell even worse. I find that it's easiest to put in my headphones while walking to and from my firm and revel in the smug joy of negating the existences of the people wandering aimlessly next to me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kratos

Platinum

Post by Kratos » Sun May 29, 2016 3:19 am

NYC is awesome

Internetdan

New

Post by Internetdan » Sun May 29, 2016 3:47 am

Yes in many ways NYC is hell incarnate.

Especially stuck in traffic on Atlantic avenue in mid August going to JFK because my idiot uber driver said he knew the area. Looking around that day it hit me, what a truly shitty and awful place this city is on so many levels.

Still love it though.

smallfirmassociate

Bronze

Post by smallfirmassociate » Sun May 29, 2016 2:09 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:I just get really tired of people moving here and bitching about it.
Those are the people who keep "your city" running. If everyone who dislikes NYC moved out, you'd lose half of your talent.

Perhaps one of the reasons he dislikes NYC is that the people are the city equivalent of xenophobic flag-waving rednecks? "We're the best city in the world. Love it or leave it," etc.

alexMar

New

Post by alexMar » Sun May 29, 2016 4:44 pm

New York is a big city. Go explore and you'll find some pocket you like. And take advantage of the great things it has to offer (music, restaurants, bars, etc.). Of course, if you don't like any of those things and would rather live a quiet suburban lifestyle, then you probably shouldn't take a job there.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 29, 2016 6:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote: I'm from the Midwest but I'm not a total hick, I've travelled to and lived in and around major cities before but they were nothing like NYC.
Poorly traveled, "total hick" from the midwest here. Please don't come back.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sun May 29, 2016 6:51 pm

smallfirmassociate wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:I just get really tired of people moving here and bitching about it.
Those are the people who keep "your city" running. If everyone who dislikes NYC moved out, you'd lose half of your talent.

Perhaps one of the reasons he dislikes NYC is that the people are the city equivalent of xenophobic flag-waving rednecks? "We're the best city in the world. Love it or leave it," etc.
This is an amazingly horrid comparison

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Sun May 29, 2016 7:36 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote: I just get really tired of people moving here and bitching about it.
if you don't like this thread, then, to be blunt, you should just leave.

jokes aside, being miserable in NYC is part of the experience. moving to NYC is a pretty significant paradigm shift from what most people are used to. Unless you've lived in a city like NYC (and there are really only like, 2-3 cities that can compare), then the first thing that you experience are the negatives -- the noise, the smell, the oppressive summers, the rudeness of NYC denizens (notwithstanding this thread), etc.

As you continue, however, you start to see some of the positives. The convenience of having public transportation take you everywhere, there's always something to do every night, the cultural diversity. I'm happy living in Long Island, but I miss some aspects of NYC. My grubhub menu is like, two restaurants. Pizza Hut is the best pizza place around me. I have to drive 10+ minutes just to get groceries, whereas it was a short walk when I lived in Queens.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sun May 29, 2016 10:53 pm

I live in a much smaller city and like it a lot. Another benefit is that law firm culture is a lot more chill outside New York. Do well this summer, get an offer to be safe, and start looking for something more chill in a town you'll like. There's absolutely no reason to work in New York if you don't want to. If you got big law as a 2L you'll presumably get a firm offer somewhere else but you might need to clerk first.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sun May 29, 2016 11:02 pm

SBL wrote:I live in a much smaller city and like it a lot. Another benefit is that law firm culture is a lot more chill outside New York. Do well this summer, get an offer to be safe, and start looking for something more chill in a town you'll like. There's absolutely no reason to work in New York if you don't want to. If you got big law as a 2L you'll presumably get a firm offer somewhere else but you might need to clerk first.
Agree with this advice. I think people tend to look down on secondary markets that pay a little less but you often end up making more when you take into account cost of living. There are other reasons why a person might choose New York but if you hate it, you might as well look for a job in a location you prefer.

lawlorbust

Bronze

Post by lawlorbust » Sun May 29, 2016 11:50 pm

SLS_AMG wrote:

You're fucking kidding. NYC is ridiculously dirty compared to any global/near-global city. It's great in other ways, but just lol at the comparisons you're making.

SLS_AMG

Bronze

Post by SLS_AMG » Mon May 30, 2016 12:00 am

lawlorbust wrote:
SLS_AMG wrote:

You're fucking kidding. NYC is ridiculously dirty compared to any global/near-global city. It's great in other ways, but just lol at the comparisons you're making.
I've lived in all but one of the cities I mentioned for at least three months. So, yeah, I'm pretty sure I know what the hell I'm talking about. Or are London, Paris and LA not world cities?

Serett

Post by Serett » Mon May 30, 2016 12:38 am

ballouttacontrol wrote:Put a ton of effort into returning to your home state this summer/during the fall, or even into spring. U should be able to find something, though pay will obviously be a lot less. Midwest firms max out between like 85k to 125k 140k, seriously guys what the fuck are you doing living in a 500 sqft studio for $2000/month, do you hate yourselves, depending on which state

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”