Just accepted a job as a state prosecutor, T2 school, top 1/3 grades; AMA Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
andythefir

Silver

Re: Just accepted a job as a state prosecutor, T2 school, top 1/3 grades; AMA

Post by andythefir » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:06 am

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t wrote:How do you feel about imprisoning nonviolent drug offenders? Do you believe that prison should serve punitive or rehabilitative purposes?
This is probably why the OP quit answering, this is a loaded question way above the pay grade of people just trying to stay out of debtor's prison. 95+% of property crimes and 99+% of murders are substance related. I personally include rehab in the bulk of my pleas, but the waiting lists for rehab can be 2 years. It's also easy for someone who is not a DA to say we should dismiss all drug cases, but if that person runs over a family while loaded that's all going on the head of the DA that dismissed that case.

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:08 am

gmail wrote:blows my mind that we, as a society, are cool with entrusting untested law students with the power of prosecution
The alternative is to pay DAs way more than we do. And DAs that stick around rural jurisdictions tend to be abject losers in my experience.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:04 pm

Step 1.) invent a robot that can put cops on the stand and repeatedly ask "And then what happened?"

Step 2.) retire rich and enjoy your obsolensence

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t

Bronze

Post by n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:01 pm

andythefir wrote:
n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t wrote:How do you feel about imprisoning nonviolent drug offenders? Do you believe that prison should serve punitive or rehabilitative purposes?
This is probably why the OP quit answering, this is a loaded question way above the pay grade of people just trying to stay out of debtor's prison. 95+% of property crimes and 99+% of murders are substance related. I personally include rehab in the bulk of my pleas, but the waiting lists for rehab can be 2 years. It's also easy for someone who is not a DA to say we should dismiss all drug cases, but if that person runs over a family while loaded that's all going on the head of the DA that dismissed that case.
It's not a "loaded question." Many people believe that incarcerating drug offenders is a good idea (perhaps including you), and I'd imagine most believe that prison should serve punitive rather than rehabilitative purposes. My question merely reflected a curiosity of how newly minted prosecutors view this issue. Prosecutors are strongly favored in criminal trials and plea bargains, and at the end of the day, prosecutors' personal belief systems effectively determine the tenor and character of our criminal justice system.

There's no "right" answer to that opinion-based question, and it's silly to say that I made OP stop answering his self-professed "AMA."

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:32 pm

This is the worst AMA ever

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:36 pm

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t wrote:
andythefir wrote:
It's not a "loaded question." Many people believe that incarcerating drug offenders is a good idea (perhaps including you), and I'd imagine most believe that prison should serve punitive rather than rehabilitative purposes. My question merely reflected a curiosity of how newly minted prosecutors view this issue. Prosecutors are strongly favored in criminal trials and plea bargains, and at the end of the day, prosecutors' personal belief systems effectively determine the tenor and character of our criminal justice system.

There's no "right" answer to that opinion-based question, and it's silly to say that I made OP stop answering his self-professed "AMA."

Fair enough, most of the time it devolves into "why do you just want to lock up non-white people" pretty quickly on the Internet. My jurisdiction is extremely pro-defense (you need a search warrant to get into trash that you left in a hotel room and the hotel took to a public communal dumpster), so I have way less power than other jurisdictions in pleas. The reality is a meth addict takes 2 years to heal their brain, if they ever heal. A 90 day program is just a waste of everyone's time, and the best mental health/substance abuse treatment in the state is in the prison system. As far as cocaine/heroin/pills, long probation tails and rehab works out best for everyone, in my opinion. I'm less lenient on selling weed than some of my peers because on the border you're only a few transactions removed from the Cartel, though.

Mucho Maas

New

Post by Mucho Maas » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:21 pm

For OP,

Do you think non-consensual anal sex happens in prison? And if so, why aren't you guilty of conspiracy?

ronanOgara

Gold

Post by ronanOgara » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For OP,

Do you think non-consensual anal sex happens in prison? And if so, why aren't you guilty of conspiracy?
Better question, why do you feel the need to be anon when trolling?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:12 pm

ronanOgara wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For OP,

Better question, why do you feel the need to be anon when trolling?
Yeah, don't do that, Mucho Maas. (Also a stupid question.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mucho Maas

New

Post by Mucho Maas » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:55 pm

It's an uncomfortable question, but it's only a troll question to the most self-righteous.

The real answer is that prosecutorial immunity prevents any substantive liability from attaching, even (especially) when the prosecutor knows the defendant is innocent and that most state and federal law claims (like PREA) attach to the wardens, regardless of the involvement of prosecutors because of the legal fiction that prosecutors couldn't possibly have an involvement in who ends up in prison and how they act. There's moral considerations there, of course, and obvious ones.

I was an ADA and for a hot second I was in charge of hiring-- and this was the question that I asked all new interviewees.

I asked it anonymously because, frankly, I wanted to prove my point. Prosecutors, especially new ones, when faced with the question, either ignore it or accuse it of an emotional appeal. Those were the ones I always dinged for long term hire because, frankly, if someone asking 'why do you functionally condone prison rape' short circuits your higher thinking (or any thinking) good luck with the career. Primarily because whatever the context most people are thinking it, for good or bad, and the easiest way to lose credibility (with defense attorneys, judges, officers, people who can put two thoughts together ect) is act like the U.S. prison system isn't built, at least partially, on the systematic sexual violence perpetrated against its wards.

Perhaps put a slightly different way, the answer that I always looked for was 'even if it was true, and it probably is, it does not matter.'

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:08 pm

I can see why you're a PD now.

Mucho Maas

New

Post by Mucho Maas » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:21 pm

Well, I mean, imagine a new ADA who thought that prison rape didn't happen. Immediately they lose an accurate estimation of some of the best pre-trial chips a DA's office has: county v. state prison, choosing what charges to act on with child molestation v. incest/statutory rape, appealing to witnesses ect. There's an underlying humanity there, of course, but if a new hire can see that given a choice between going to a futile trial on a child molestation charge and a futile trial on an incest or rape charge even if the sentencing is exactly the same the defendant will always go to trial for molestation but plea out for the rape. At that point, then, they're well on their way. Or perhaps simply no one got a jury fired up with images of the accused getting the Martha Stewart treatment.
Last edited by Mucho Maas on Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:22 pm

andythefir wrote:
Can the OP quit answering if they never answered anything in the first place?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:34 pm

Mucho Maas wrote:Well, I mean, imagine a new ADA who thought that prison rape didn't happen. Immediately they lose an accurate estimation of some of the best pre-trial chips a DA's office has: county v. state prison, choosing what charges to act on with child molestation v. incest/statutory rape, appealing to witnesses ect. There's an underlying humanity there, of course, but if a new hire can see that given a choice between going to a futile trial on a child molestation charge and a futile trial on an incest or rape charge even if the sentencing is exactly the same the defendant will always go to trial for molestation but plea out for the rape. At that point, then, they're well on their way. Or perhaps simply no one got a jury fired up with images of the accused getting the Martha Stewart treatment.
Does anyone actually think prison rape doesn't happen?

And my comment wasn't at all meant as an insult, it was just an observation.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:58 pm

Mucho Maas wrote:It's an uncomfortable question, but it's only a troll question to the most self-righteous.

The real answer is that prosecutorial immunity prevents any substantive liability from attaching, even (especially) when the prosecutor knows the defendant is innocent and that most state and federal law claims (like PREA) attach to the wardens, regardless of the involvement of prosecutors because of the legal fiction that prosecutors couldn't possibly have an involvement in who ends up in prison and how they act. There's moral considerations there, of course, and obvious ones.

I was an ADA and for a hot second I was in charge of hiring-- and this was the question that I asked all new interviewees.

I asked it anonymously because, frankly, I wanted to prove my point. Prosecutors, especially new ones, when faced with the question, either ignore it or accuse it of an emotional appeal. Those were the ones I always dinged for long term hire because, frankly, if someone asking 'why do you functionally condone prison rape' short circuits your higher thinking (or any thinking) good luck with the career. Primarily because whatever the context most people are thinking it, for good or bad, and the easiest way to lose credibility (with defense attorneys, judges, officers, people who can put two thoughts together ect) is act like the U.S. prison system isn't built, at least partially, on the systematic sexual violence perpetrated against its wards.

Perhaps put a slightly different way, the answer that I always looked for was 'even if it was true, and it probably is, it does not matter.'
Your mother and I conspire to commit sodomy routinely

fauxpsych

Bronze

Post by fauxpsych » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:AMA.
Illinois?

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:45 am

Nebby wrote:This is the worst AMA ever
This fellow would only have information on DA hiring process. WTF would he know about actually being a DA?
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:46 am

Borhas wrote:
Nebby wrote:This is the worst AMA ever
This fellow would only have information on DA hiring process. WTF would he know about actually being a DA?
Nothing, but the people demand answers!

gmail

Silver

Post by gmail » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:59 am

Mucho Maas wrote:It's an uncomfortable question, but it's only a troll question to the most self-righteous.

if this was a facebook post I would pause for a second and then 'like' it

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:35 pm

OP here. My fault. I was busy with my clerkship.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:36 pm

pancakes3 wrote:which market? was your school in that market?
salary?
were you gun ho prosecutor from the get go?
internships?
how hard did you have to hustle?
1) ~65k, benefits, etc.

2) No.

3) None.

4) Once I got my clerkship, hustled my ass off.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:37 pm

gmail wrote:Have you had your first Brady violation yet?
No, but I worked on plenty of Brady motions during my clerkship.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:38 pm

kellyfrost wrote:Will you be appearing at bond hearings?

What arguments do you plan to make in securing high bond amounts?

Do you go hit up the bar every night after work like they do on TV?

What were some of the interview questions that you were asked?
1) Yes.

2) Not many. My state has very liberal bond laws.

3) No.

4) "You don't have a lot of prosecutorial experience. In fact, you have defense experience. How does this make you a good prosecutor?"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:39 pm

My state is very pro-Drug Court and I support that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:40 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
encore1101 wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:AMA.
Hey,
Here is my question for your AMA. Are you going to answer any of the god damn questions here? You started this thing for Christ's sake, maybe you should follow through on it.

To be fair, he's probably spending all his time studying for the bar atm. But yeah, worst AMA ever.
Do state prosecutor offices make offers before someone is licensed? He/she must be in Montana or Wyoming.
Already licensed when offered.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”