Lavender Law 2016 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Manali

Bronze

Lavender Law 2016

Post by Manali » Sun May 22, 2016 4:30 pm

Greetings! This thread is for participants of Lavender Law 2016. Post away about applications, interviews, callbacks, acceptances, dings, etc.

Hopefully there are more public sector employers this year! It seemed pretty BigLaw heavy in recent years.

More info here: http://lgbtbar.org/annual/register/

Anonymous User

Re: Lavender Law 2016

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 23, 2016 9:41 am

Is it worth it to go if I'm not interested in BigLaw whatsoever?

OtterLaw

Silver

Post by OtterLaw » Mon May 23, 2016 10:12 am

So is this like a job fair for LGBT law students? I've never even heard of Lavender Law.

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Mon May 23, 2016 10:25 am

OtterLaw wrote:So is this like a job fair for LGBT law students? I've never even heard of Lavender Law.
Yes it is! Lavender Law is the largest LGBT job fair in the country.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 23, 2016 10:35 am

Manali wrote:
OtterLaw wrote:So is this like a job fair for LGBT law students? I've never even heard of Lavender Law.
That's awesome! Is it always in DC? I'll have to check it out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Mon May 23, 2016 11:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Manali wrote:
That's awesome! Is it always in DC? I'll have to check it out.
It's in a new city every year!

kaysta

Bronze

Post by kaysta » Mon May 23, 2016 12:05 pm

This is great or whatever but arent you that straight student who was asking if it's going to damage your career to put anything gay-related on your linkedin? you don't mind being associated with us as long as your're anonymous? cuz you know someone might find this post and track you down IRL and think you're gay. might be damaging.
and yep, I made an account to ask you this. yr question kind of stuck in my mind.

OtterLaw

Silver

Post by OtterLaw » Mon May 23, 2016 3:52 pm

kaysta wrote:This is great or whatever but arent you that straight student who was asking if it's going to damage your career to put anything gay-related on your linkedin? you don't mind being associated with us as long as your're anonymous? cuz you know someone might find this post and track you down IRL and think you're gay. might be damaging.
and yep, I made an account to ask you this. yr question kind of stuck in my mind.
I was actually the one that accidentally did the anonymous response. Wrong button! Oops.

kaysta

Bronze

Post by kaysta » Mon May 23, 2016 6:03 pm

OtterLaw wrote:
kaysta wrote:This is great or whatever but arent you that straight student who was asking if it's going to damage your career to put anything gay-related on your linkedin? you don't mind being associated with us as long as your're anonymous? cuz you know someone might find this post and track you down IRL and think you're gay. might be damaging.
I was actually the one that accidentally did the anonymous response. Wrong button! Oops.

no, not you. I see that that wasn't clear.

my post was directed at Manali-- the person who started this thread--she started another thread because she was scared that looking too gay on her linkedin was gonna get her dinged from jobs, when she's straight. I just let it go cause whatever, it's not worth arguing, but this is starting to annoy me. if you're too cowardly to put anything with the word "gay" in it on your linkedin, then you're the wrong heterosexual person for these jobs. It's not a major thing, but come on, this isn't 1966, no one is gonna burn your fucking house down because your linkedin says you were in your high school gay-straight alliance.
After people reassured her that she was being an idiot, I guess now she's like totally into gay pride.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Mon May 23, 2016 6:19 pm

kaysta wrote:
OtterLaw wrote:

no, not you. I see that that wasn't clear.

my post was directed at Manali-- the person who started this thread--she started another thread because she was scared that looking too gay on her linkedin was gonna get her dinged from jobs, when she's straight. I just let it go cause whatever, it's not worth arguing, but this is starting to annoy me. if you're too cowardly to put anything with the word "gay" in it on your linkedin, then you're the wrong heterosexual person for these jobs. It's not a major thing, but come on, this isn't 1966, no one is gonna burn your fucking house down because your linkedin says you were in your high school gay-straight alliance.
After people reassured her that she was being an idiot, I guess now she's like totally into gay pride.
How do you know I'm straight? I very well may be trans* or bi or genderqueer or intersex or gender-non-conforming. You don't know me. Stop making baseless assumptions.

And yes, putting LGBT stuff on your resume may be risky, depending on what part of the country you're in. It was a legitimate concern.
Last edited by Manali on Mon May 23, 2016 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Mon May 23, 2016 6:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I attended as a student for 2 years and as a recruiter for 2 years so I am happy to answer any Lavender Law questions you have or just generally give my opinion on LGBT employment matters to the extent it is valuable to you.
Hi! Thanks for being a resource.

Do you know about competitiveness for the Pride Law Fund Tom Steele Fellowship? I'm doing LGBT-focused work this summer in civil legal aid and am interested in doing a postgraduate fellowship with my 2L summer employer.

kaysta

Bronze

Post by kaysta » Mon May 23, 2016 6:48 pm

How do you know I'm straight? I very well may be trans* or bi or genderqueer or intersex or gender-non-conforming. You don't know me. Stop making baseless assumptions.

And yes, putting LGBT stuff on your resume may be risky, depending on what part of the country you're in. It was a legitimate concern.[/quote]

what the fuck kind of justification is that? so, you're trans? no. that's what I thought. I actually do know that you're straight, and you've posted on this forum, about getting married, to a guy. so please dont start with this stupid internet tease "I may be anything at all!" as you know, your reputation extends far beyond this forum, so yeah, I know you're straight, and you are not trans.

and thanks for proving my point--you dont get how obnoxious you sound as a straight person asking if people will not want to hire you for having the word "gay" on your resume.

Above all Pretending that you're gay or trans online, so you can ask your cowardly question, is really pathetic. These jobs are, hopefully, for people who are actually committed to these issues, not just the bottom of the barrel who couldnt find anything better. Someone who is that afraid of being associated with gay people should probably not be doing them.

and yeah, I know there's a risk in being out, thanks so much for the information. It's not as terrifying as you seem to think it is, though. You're not storming through KKK territory signing up black people to vote. Enough with the self-righteousness.

kaysta

Bronze

Post by kaysta » Mon May 23, 2016 7:20 pm

should probably not be doing them**.
***them = the jobs. or, either way really. Roy Cohn territory

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 23, 2016 7:24 pm

Manali wrote:

Do you know about competitiveness for the Pride Law Fund Tom Steele Fellowship? I'm doing LGBT-focused work this summer in civil legal aid and am interested in doing a postgraduate fellowship with my 2L summer employer.
Not familiar with that particular Fellowship though I know some of the members of the [stellar] Board of Directors. They make me think this is very competitive. The Google machine suggests a good resource might be to reach out to one of the past 3 years' recipients. From my experience with fellowships generally, the recipient him/herself generally has a good inkling of whether they would pass muster. Recipients are often all-stars. If you have the chops, the resume, the ability to hold an extremely engaging conversation, and the drive to see your project through, then you're competitive. If this is a whim and a prayer, you probably better have a back-up plan.

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze

Post by tyroneslothrop1 » Mon May 23, 2016 7:36 pm

"How do you know I'm straight? I very well may be trans* or bi or genderqueer or intersex or gender-non-conforming."

I can't help but chuckle when I see some of these terms. The amount of time and energy devoted to inventing words to describe the way a person feels about their gender/sex is incredible. Never even heard of genderqueer or intersex.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Mon May 23, 2016 7:46 pm

tyroneslothrop1 wrote:"How do you know I'm straight? I very well may be trans* or bi or genderqueer or intersex or gender-non-conforming."

I can't help but chuckle when I see some of these terms. The amount of time and energy devoted to inventing words to describe the way a person feels about their gender/sex is incredible. Never even heard of genderqueer or intersex.
Do you think intersex is invented? Wow. You're like a billion years behind the times

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Mon May 23, 2016 7:49 pm

thrilled that now lavender law is about manali

really awesome, glad to have this resource about manali

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Mon May 23, 2016 8:24 pm

kaysta wrote:How do you know I'm straight? I very well may be trans* or bi or genderqueer or intersex or gender-non-conforming. You don't know me. Stop making baseless assumptions.

And yes, putting LGBT stuff on your resume may be risky, depending on what part of the country you're in. It was a legitimate concern.

what the fuck kind of justification is that? so, you're trans? no. that's what I thought. I actually do know that you're straight, and you've posted on this forum, about getting married, to a guy. so please dont start with this stupid internet tease "I may be anything at all!" as you know, your reputation extends far beyond this forum, so yeah, I know you're straight, and you are not trans.

and thanks for proving my point--you dont get how obnoxious you sound as a straight person asking if people will not want to hire you for having the word "gay" on your resume.

Above all Pretending that you're gay or trans online, so you can ask your cowardly question, is really pathetic. These jobs are, hopefully, for people who are actually committed to these issues, not just the bottom of the barrel who couldnt find anything better. Someone who is that afraid of being associated with gay people should probably not be doing them.

and yeah, I know there's a risk in being out, thanks so much for the information. It's not as terrifying as you seem to think it is, though. You're not storming through KKK territory signing up black people to vote. Enough with the self-righteousness.[/quote]

What the hell? You have no idea who I am. You know almost nothing about me. Stop making assumptions. I could very well be bi or trans* or gender non-conforming or intersex. The point is, my personal life none of your business.

Also, not everyone is interested in NY/DC/SF/LA or large super-liberal cities. You try wearing a rainbow pin at in rural Alabama or West Virginia.

This thread is for potential applicants of Lavender Law. If that's not you then GTFO. Let's get this thread back on track and stay on topic.

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Mon May 23, 2016 8:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Manali wrote:

Not familiar with that particular Fellowship though I know some of the members of the [stellar] Board of Directors. They make me think this is very competitive. The Google machine suggests a good resource might be to reach out to one of the past 3 years' recipients. From my experience with fellowships generally, the recipient him/herself generally has a good inkling of whether they would pass muster. Recipients are often all-stars. If you have the chops, the resume, the ability to hold an extremely engaging conversation, and the drive to see your project through, then you're competitive. If this is a whim and a prayer, you probably better have a back-up plan.
Thanks! Appreciate it. I am starting my internship May 31 and I am interested in asking my supervisor if the org can sponsor me for the Steel fellowship, as well as EJW, Skadden, etc. When in the summer should I approach them about this? In the beginning? Several weeks in?

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Mon May 23, 2016 8:38 pm

landshoes wrote:thrilled that now lavender law is about manali

Thank kaysta for derailing. Who the hell makes an account just to attack and berate someone? :roll:

jvr2

New

Post by jvr2 » Mon May 23, 2016 9:03 pm

landshoes wrote:
tyroneslothrop1 wrote:"How do you know I'm straight? I very well may be trans* or bi or genderqueer or intersex or gender-non-conforming."

Do you think intersex is invented? Wow. You're like a billion years behind the times
lol, I got a chuckle out of that one as well. Ignorant people are ignorant.
kaysta wrote: I actually do know that you're straight, and you've posted on this forum, about getting married, to a guy. so please dont start with this stupid internet tease
I obvious don't know the backstory regarding this person, it seems very interesting and I would love to waste hours of my life reading the prior post. But this statement alone does not disqualify someone from at the very least being bisexual. Bisexual erasure is a serious problem, someone get on fixing that stat.

Edited to be more clear: I'm assuming this girl said that she is straight (and is scared about appearing gay blah blah) and that's why you are coming down so hard on her (because girl marrying guy does not mean straight).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 23, 2016 9:33 pm

Manali wrote: When in the summer should I approach them about this? In the beginning? Several weeks in?
Check the deadline then shortly after you have developed relationships and demonstrate competence but with plenty of time to meet the deadline. Certainly not the first week. That seems to lack self awareness to me. Maybe the way you approach it would be more tactful. But, your organization undertakes a big obligation by sponsoring you. They will want at least an inkling that you're a good investment of professional capital.

kaysta

Bronze

Post by kaysta » Mon May 23, 2016 9:57 pm

What the hell? You have no idea who I am. You know almost nothing about me. Stop making assumptions. I could very well be bi or trans* or gender non-conforming or intersex. The point is, my personal life none of your business.

Also, not everyone is interested in NY/DC/SF/LA or large super-liberal cities. You try wearing a rainbow pin at in rural Alabama or West Virginia.

This thread is for potential applicants of Lavender Law. If that's not you then GTFO. Let's get this thread back on track and stay on topic.
[/quote]

Since you have posted hundreds of times at length about your personal history, yes, I know more than I ever wanted to know about you. You're also easily identifiable off-line. You're not in rural Alabama, or West Virginia, so shut the fuck up with your rainbow pin. Is that how you decided you're LGBT? Your pin?

Since your internet thing is lying, delusional, multipage threads that always end in Drexel, I'm just gonna call it right here and say sure, you can pretend to be whatever you want to on the internet. Some people will see through you, and you'll manage to fool others.

But I hope my point about cowardice and gay rights penetrates through your dumb, thick skull at some point in your life.

And yeah, not that I was talking about this at all until this idiot decided to double down on her lying but, it's kind of bullshit to apply for some of these things claiming that your bi. Incidentally, I
obviously don't care if straight people apply for these jobs, just 1) say you're straight, dont claim to be something youre not, and 2) you should probably not be afraid to associate in public with the people you're representing. Particularly if you and they lived in W. Virginia or Alabama.

As for the bisexual thing, it's not the point here but if you're asked to write an essay about a diversity or hardship you've faced and you write about that time you had to flee Grosse Pointe from the Detroit race riots in your family yacht-- then the equivalent is writing an essay about being lgbt on that one time in your sorority house when your sorority sister chowed down on you in front of her boyfriend and you didn't know how you felt about it the next morning and it made you question your whole reality.

I know none of this is getting through to Manali so yeah, GFY, I concede the point. You could be anything at all. No one can penetrate your amazing mystique. Happy now?
Last edited by kaysta on Mon May 23, 2016 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Post by anyriotgirl » Mon May 23, 2016 10:00 pm

can you guys please use the quote feature appropriately?

so, manali, are you trans or genderqueer, or bi or intersex?

kaysta

Bronze

Post by kaysta » Mon May 23, 2016 10:01 pm

landshoes wrote:thrilled that now lavender law is about manali

Whatever. the thread should have been started by someone else. And honestly, you'd never heard of Lavlaw until she started this thread about it? I think most LGBT students find it on their own.
In all fairness I should have brought up my objection to her post when she first pulled this bullshit.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Legal Employment”