Best Emerging Company Firms in NYC Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Best Emerging Company Firms in NYC

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 17, 2016 10:14 am

I am curious to hear how the best Bay Area emerging company firms (Cooley, WSGR, Gunderson) stack up in their respective NYC offices. If there are any firms I missing, let me know, but I am most interested in firms that also have bay area offices.

Sgtpeppernyc

Bronze

Re: Best Emerging Company Firms in NYC

Post by Sgtpeppernyc » Tue May 17, 2016 11:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am curious to hear how the best Bay Area emerging company firms (Cooley, WSGR, Gunderson) stack up in their respective NYC offices. If there are any firms I missing, let me know, but I am most interested in firms that also have bay area offices.
Gunderson is I think the best of the bunch in NYC - they have a fairly large practice, and from what I've seen often have to turn work away.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 17, 2016 11:17 am

WSGR associate here (not NY).

I agree that Gunderson probably the strongest of the firms you mentioned. WSGR's office isn't quite there, but it is growing quickly and has gotten significantly better over the last few years. I thin it's worth looking at.

Lowenstein Sandler also does a bit of this work, and they have a big NY office. I have also worked across from Goodwin Procter twice on deals, but both times they represented a NY investor and were not company side. HTH--good luck.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 17, 2016 2:54 pm

Any thoughts on Cooley in NYC?

Sgtpeppernyc

Bronze

Post by Sgtpeppernyc » Tue May 17, 2016 3:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any thoughts on Cooley in NYC?
Pretty well respected. I interviewed there 3 years ago and the group was tiny - seems they've grown quite a bit since then.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 17, 2016 3:36 pm

Never worked w/ their NYC office, but Cooley is great. My favorite of the SV firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 19, 2016 10:27 am

Can anyone speak to WSGR or Cooley's attitude w/r/t to transferring offices within the firm? I know this is always firm by firm, but I would be interested to hear if anyone had any personal experience with this.

Also, does Cooley do all of its Corp in SV and Lit in SF?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 19, 2016 12:55 pm

I think they are both open to it if you have a compelling reason. I work at WSGR w/ an associate who transferred offices as a junior. It was for family reasons though.

Cooley does plenty of corp in SF.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 19, 2016 1:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think they are both open to it if you have a compelling reason. I work at WSGR w/ an associate who transferred offices as a junior. It was for family reasons though.

Cooley does plenty of corp in SF.
Thanks.

Is there any hard division between corporate practice groups in terms of who is in SF vs who is in SV?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 19, 2016 2:36 pm

At Cooley? I am not 100% sure, but I have been on 2 capital markets deals across from their SF office. I think they do more IPOs, cap markets, etc while SV does more emerging tech/VC work.

WSGR's SF office is mainly big M&A deals (especially if you're a junior).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 21, 2016 3:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:At Cooley? I am not 100% sure, but I have been on 2 capital markets deals across from their SF office. I think they do more IPOs, cap markets, etc while SV does more emerging tech/VC work.

WSGR junior corporate associate here. I am not sure I know of any WSGR associates transferring from NYC to SV or vice versa as a junior. Maybe one, not sure if he/she started in NYC initially. I've heard of an associate transferring between west coast offices but I think you really have to develop a rapport to get a transfer at WSGR. For reasons I won't go into here associates are not as fungible as they are at other firms. Bottomline I wouldn't bet on it. If I was trying to do one, I would guess it is easier to go SV -> NYC than the other way around.

Also note we have two offices in SF and one does M&A (and lit) and the other does startup work. You wouldn't work out of the SF emerging company group as a junior, though you could rotate.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 21, 2016 7:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:At Cooley? I am not 100% sure, but I have been on 2 capital markets deals across from their SF office. I think they do more IPOs, cap markets, etc while SV does more emerging tech/VC work.

Also note we have two offices in SF and one does M&A (and lit) and the other does startup work. You wouldn't work out of the SF emerging company group as a junior, though you could rotate.
Rotate as in eventually get there? So the startup office (in SOMA) doesn't have juniors? I looked at some profiles out of that office, it looks like mostly people with significant experience in tech and/or entrepreneurship.

I am looking to switch from a more traditional M&A role into one of those types of roles.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”