Dog in Big Law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Dog in Big Law

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 14, 2016 8:55 pm

This topic has been beat to death over the years on TLS. The answer to your question is that you can get a dog and make it work in biglaw. This is true whether you are in NY (where there are more dog walkers than dogs) or in another market where you may have more space/time for the dog. That being said, whether you should get a dog depends on your own circumstances (i.e., are you single, does your firm require a lot of facetime, can you work from home, can you afford a dog, etc.).

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sat May 14, 2016 9:02 pm

I think we should put this topic to sleep, no pun intended.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tubrid

New

Post by Tubrid » Mon May 16, 2016 9:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:Had a dog through college and law school who passed about a year ago. I miss having a dog. I also have a small apartment, and work in big law. What dog types would be happy with that environment if exercised daily? I read online about breeds for office workers, but want to make sure the dog would be happy before making the plunge.
Fuck the haters - just get a dog. People on this forum act like the sky is falling at every turn. DON'T HAVE FUN WHILE STUDYING FOR THE LSAT. DON'T HAVE FUN WHILE IN LAW SCHOOL. DON'T HAVE FUN WHILE STUDYING FOR THE BAR. DON'T HAVE FUN WHILE YOU'RE AN ASSOCIATE. Seriously, fuck those guys. Do what you want to and live your life. If you want a dog, I'm sure you'll make it work.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Mon May 16, 2016 10:07 am

kellyfrost wrote:Don't get a dog. They are a waste of time and money. Owning a dog is only going to hurt you professionally (especially in biglaw!!) and socially (mostly sexually).

There are 3 situations where owing a dog makes sense, and they ARE NOT BIG LAW!!!

1. K9 Police Officer
2. Sell/Breed/Guide waterfowl hunting dogs or waterfowl hunting trips.
3. You are blind or actually need the services of a service animal.
Wut. No. Opposite is true.

Scenario 1:
Guy: Would you like to come back to my place?
Girl: No.

Scenario 2:
Guy: Would you like to come meet my dog?
Girl: YES.

ihatethetexasbar

New

Post by ihatethetexasbar » Mon May 16, 2016 10:34 am

Okay, so I have a one-year-old dog and both my husband and I work full time. While I don't work in Big Law, maybe my experience will still be helpful.

I would recommend not getting a puppy. I had one in law school and it was a ton of work and time. I can't imagine the effort if I was working full time. Also, I would avoid a high-energy dog that needs a lot of exercise unless you can give him about one to two hours a day of outside playtime. I have a pointer, and he needs A LOT of attention in the morning and when I get home. I take him out in the morning at about 5:30 or 6 and give him a walk. Sometimes my husband or I can make it home for lunch and let him out. He plays for a good 45 minutes to an hour at the park as soon I get home and then he's good the rest of the evening. He gets another walk at night.

Every so often we put him in daycare or let him out of the crate. He is a very good dog, never messes his crate, and sleeps all day whether we are working or at home. I think he's so good because he knows he's going to play and run for a long time each day. We also wear him out on the weekends.

Maybe try to get a low maintenance dog. Basset hounds are cool. Dachshunds are awesome and can be good apartment dogs. Also, crate train and get a big crate so that your dog will have a lot of space when he goes in there, if you choose that route.

If possible, maybe you can look into getting a duplex or renting a place with a yard. I don't know your lifestyle or city, so forgive me if this is not feasible. But having a yard would help you out a lot. You can also hire a dog walker to come in at lunchtime or do doggy day care some days.

Sorry if this is long. Dogs are awesome and make your life so much better.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Mon May 16, 2016 12:44 pm

Yeah, my experience: got a puppy when I was a 3L so the flexible schedule made it easy to be very attentive since I wouldn't be gone for very long on any given day. Once big law started, we got a dog walker that does a 30 min mid-day walk and on Wednesdays he goes to daycare. I also walk him for 20 mins or so in the morning and then either my SO or I do again when we get home by 6ish. And then I try to take him out for another spin before bed.

If I'm too busy to leave at a reasonable time or my SO is busy, we get a night walk from our dog walker. When I've been out of town for extended periods for deps or trial, I'll pay for extra daycare or to board him for a night to give my SO a break.

He's a basset hound mix so relatively lazy, but he's still pretty young (coming up on 3) so can be high energy. Still, the upside of having a dog is worth it. And if you want one, you can make it work. Leave the office at 6 and work from home for another couple hours later that night.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Mon May 16, 2016 12:52 pm

I had to explain to my boss why i was late this morning. "Stella diaherriaed on my floor." "I hope Stella isn't your wife."
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Removed

Post by kellyfrost » Mon May 16, 2016 1:25 pm

Removed post...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”