E-mail Subject Lines ("RE:") - What's Best? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
1styearlateral

Silver

E-mail Subject Lines ("RE:") - What's Best?

Post by 1styearlateral » Mon May 09, 2016 10:39 am

I'm looking to lateral, and have some alums I would like to reach out to regarding lateral opportunities at their firms. I have the emails pretty much figured out (short, concise, interested in lateral opps and a sit-down) and have them drafted in such a way that is not too aggressive ("hey, can you hire me") but also indicates that yes, I am interested. However, I'm a little stuck with what to put in the subject line; I've always struggled with this even in law school. I don't want to put something like "Lateral Opportunities" because that alone may turn that person off. However, I do want to make some indication that I'm interested in meeting with them to discuss such opportunities. Any suggestions? As an employer, what would you want to see in your inbox among 100 other emails?

If it helps any, I do not plan on attaching my resume.

smallfirmassociate

Bronze

Re: E-mail Subject Lines ("RE:") - What's Best?

Post by smallfirmassociate » Mon May 09, 2016 11:48 am

Email subjects are like farts. They're never going to help you in life but have the risk of hurting you. Thus, my opinion is to keep them as "quiet" as possible (e.g. nondescript / vague / innocuous):

"Reaching out"
"Employment"
"Meeting"
"Lunch?"
etc.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Mon May 09, 2016 1:35 pm

Different context, but I reached out a bunch of alums from my school prior to 2L OCI and had good success with "Reaching Out - Fellow xyz alum"

ETA: In my case it was "Reaching out - XYZ Law School Student" --> but alum would obviously be more appropriate in your case.

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Mon May 09, 2016 1:49 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:Different context, but I reached out a bunch of alums from my school prior to 2L OCI and had good success with "Reaching Out - Fellow xyz alum"

ETA: In my case it was "Reaching out - XYZ Law School Student" --> but alum would obviously be more appropriate in your case.
I really like this; I think I'll be using it. Thanks.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Mon May 09, 2016 5:19 pm

I should have added -- I go to a non T14 school, where not a ton of folks end up in biglaw (aka T2). So there may be some added willingness for alumni partners to lend a helping hand. I don't know if that willingness would be as prevalent from, say, a harvard alum. Just my 2 cents. FWIW though -- its how I landed my SA.

Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Tue May 10, 2016 8:27 am

I'm in pretty much the same boat, so I'm hoping that alums from my school would be more willing to help than would a T14 alum for a T14 grad, since they're so common in my market.

Biglaw Investor

New

Post by Biglaw Investor » Tue May 10, 2016 5:44 pm

1styearlateral wrote:I'm in pretty much the same boat, so I'm hoping that alums from my school would be more willing to help than would a T14 alum for a T14 grad, since they're so common in my market.
Putting the school name in the subject is smart when you're connecting with an alum. Easier for me to find that email when I search for it, because I'm not going to remember your name after one read of a cold email.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”