Working only for a year before switching jobs Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
poweradezero

New

Working only for a year before switching jobs

Post by poweradezero » Mon May 09, 2016 3:39 am

How long is too short for someone to change jobs in current legal market? For example, if I worked for a firm for about 10 months and chose to take an offer for another firm, how bad would that 10 month experience look? What if I did that twice, working 3 jobs in less than 2 years? Can someone share his or her opinions about switching jobs before completing a full year on current job?

Anonymous User

Re: Working only for a year before switching jobs

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 09, 2016 6:53 am

It is really situational and depends on the circumstances. Too much job hopping is a bad thing, but making a quick switch from a situation that just isn't working is ok. My rule of thumb is simple: can you reaosnably discuss why you are moving to a future employer, even if you have to spin it a little. Its ok to leave for more money or better hours, but have a different reason to explain to any future interviewers. Remember, transferring jobs is a business decision so act prudently.

I have two friends who left their firms within the first 8 months of their time there. The first left because she was placed into a practice group that did not align with her interests or skill set, and her next job was more of a match. The second fried left his firm because it went through a merger just as he arrived, and his practice group materially changed as a result. In both situations, the transferee has a reasonable story to tell a future employer if they interview for a third job down the road.

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Mon May 09, 2016 10:14 am

Making a move after about 10 months may be fine, especially if it's in BigLaw. Plenty of people do it, whether it's because they want to switch markets, practice areas, escape an unpleasant work environment, etc.

In smaller firms and smaller legal markets, it might raise too many hackles and word can spread quickly. One further thing of which to be wary is that some firms will attempt to claw back bar expenses they paid and any stipends or bonuses if you leave within a year.

Trying to make a second move within another 10 months, however, is risky. There are valid reasons for making the jump to a third firm within 2 years, such as your spouse's job, but the optics are not ideal. The third firm ought to be one where you'll work for some time, since firms will be reticent about wanting to be your fourth in a brief interval of time.

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze

Post by tyroneslothrop1 » Mon May 09, 2016 2:55 pm

I've been at a firm 9 months and am beginning to explore a move. I'd echo the above, the first move is easily explainable. Things get more dicey a second time. So moral of the story, move somewhere where you're comfortable staying a couple years. It may otherwise look like your moves were not totally voluntary and/or you're a flight risk.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 10, 2016 7:54 pm

do you guys consider going to a different firm after summering to be making a move?

I.e., I summered at firm X as a 1L, firm Y as a 2L, and then joined firm Z as a 1st year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Wed May 11, 2016 1:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:do you guys consider going to a different firm after summering to be making a move?

I.e., I summered at firm X as a 1L, firm Y as a 2L, and then joined firm Z as a 1st year.
No, that's different.

poweradezero

New

Post by poweradezero » Wed May 11, 2016 6:19 pm

would it make any difference if it was a gov job?

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Mon May 16, 2016 9:50 am

poweradezero wrote:would it make any difference if it was a gov job?
Generally speaking, probably not.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”