When to tell your firm about JD/MBA? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

When to tell your firm about JD/MBA?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 01, 2016 9:01 pm

When do you tell your firm that your picking up an MBA? I decided in 2L year so my summer firm has no idea right now. I'm waiting for the Summer to see if I'm going to recruit for other jobs due to fit reasons.

favabeansoup

Bronze

Re: When to tell your firm about JD/MBA?

Post by favabeansoup » Sun May 01, 2016 10:01 pm

I feel like you left out substantial information here. So are you a 2L or a 3L? Do you want to work at a law firm?

How long is this MBA program you just decided to pick up? Aren't most full time MBAs 2 year programs? If this means you won't be working full time with them after your 3L year, you can pretty much kiss that an offer from them goodbye.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 01, 2016 10:15 pm

favabeansoup wrote:I feel like you left out substantial information here. So are you a 2L or a 3L? Do you want to work at a law firm?

How long is this MBA program you just decided to pick up? Aren't most full time MBAs 2 year programs? If this means you won't be working full time with them after your 3L year, you can pretty much kiss that an offer from them goodbye.
I am a 2L going into a summer associate gig. Hence, the waiting til Summer to see if I want to recruit for other jobs. It would effectively reset me to 2L status next year since I now will be graduating in 2018.

kcdc1

Silver

Post by kcdc1 » Sun May 01, 2016 10:20 pm

Does your firm hire 1L summers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 01, 2016 10:33 pm

kcdc1 wrote:Does your firm hire 1L summers?
Not for the past couple of years. I'm also unsure on an MBA bonus as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 01, 2016 10:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
kcdc1 wrote:Does your firm hire 1L summers?
Not for the past couple of years. I'm also unsure on an MBA bonus as well.
lol what

edit: apparently some firms do this: http://www.goodwinprocter.com/Careers/L ... D-MBA.aspx
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun May 01, 2016 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawlorbust

Bronze

Post by lawlorbust » Sun May 01, 2016 10:44 pm

TCR is when you get your return offer. If they don't give you an offer for the next summer, then just do OCI again (and whatever non-law interviewing you're interested in).

kcdc1

Silver

Post by kcdc1 » Sun May 01, 2016 10:58 pm

Yeah, I'd agree with above. Get the offer, then explain that you're considering adding an MBA and ask whether it might be possible to defer acceptance to the following year. It's not good policy to decline offers that you have not yet received.

Also, I'm guessing you technically could still graduate with just a JD next year. Keep an open mind this summer about the possibility of returning the following year and you'll feel better about your SA experience.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 02, 2016 7:18 am

kcdc1 wrote:Yeah, I'd agree with above. Get the offer, then explain that you're considering adding an MBA and ask whether it might be possible to defer acceptance to the following year. It's not good policy to decline offers that you have not yet received.

Also, I'm guessing you technically could still graduate with just a JD next year. Keep an open mind this summer about the possibility of returning the following year and you'll feel better about your SA experience.
The MBA program starts 2-3 weeks before I would hear about fulltime offers so it wouldn't be I'm considering doing an MBA at that point but would be I'm in an MBA program.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”