Switching Practice Group - How to ask, and how risky is it to ask? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Switching Practice Group - How to ask, and how risky is it to ask?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:47 pm

I'm a first year in the corporate group of a big law firm, and feel I may not be cut out for corporate. There are a host of skills that juniors need to survive that I don't have. I've always been bad at being organized and paying attention to detail. Everyone who knew me in my childhood who sees me now says has basically told me something along the lines, "the shift to computers saved your life." It's not that I'm lazy with these things, but that things most people would see as easy require a lot of effort. At my exit interview as a summer, most of the things I was commended on aren't useful to the work I do - intelligence, big picture thinking, ability to supplement legal analysis with practical business sense. However, none of these skills are useful in the work I do. I already feel like I may be being passed over for work, but can't prove it. My gut feeling is that some people may like talking to me because I'm nice and likable, but may hate working with me because I'm disorganized and kind of incompetent. It's important to me to succeed professionally, and circumstances in my personal life and financial needs require me to succeed here.

My questions are - (1) is there a practice group I'm better suited for? (2) what's the risk in considering a switch? (3) how do you bring it up?

Anonymous User

Re: Switching Practice Group - How to ask, and how risky is it to ask?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:02 pm

Try consulting.

masque du pantsu

Bronze

Post by masque du pantsu » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:53 pm

These will eventually be very useful when you are more senior, you will just need to have juniors who are thorough, "detail oriented" (whatever that means) and compensate your weaknesses. Aren't there any coping mechanisms you can come up with in the meantime? I mean, we all have deficits.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:28 pm

I've implemented things to get more organized and make less mistakes. It's really more a question of whether there is a practice group that would play to my strengths more. I don't know if this is relevant, but in law school I had a tougher time with corporatey classes. In other subjects I could sleep my way to doing well, but never clicked with corporate.

spyke123

Bronze

Post by spyke123 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Try consulting.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Catsinthebag

Bronze

Post by Catsinthebag » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:05 pm

masque du pantsu wrote:These will eventually be very useful when you are more senior, you will just need to have juniors who are thorough, "detail oriented" (whatever that means) and compensate your weaknesses. Aren't there any coping mechanisms you can come up with in the meantime? I mean, we all have deficits.

A bit disorganized but with keen business skills and a likable personality. Talk about a good problem to have. Hope you find a way to survive!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:07 pm

I did it and it changed the game. I'm now in a practice I can see myself doing the rest of my life.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”