Do people really get no-offered for "fit"? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Do people really get no-offered for "fit"?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:28 pm

Or it just can excuse to no offer someone for another reason?

Does anyone know someone who was no-offered for fit, and if so what was the situation like?

Actus Reus

Bronze

Re: Do people really get no-offered for "fit"?

Post by Actus Reus » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Or it just can excuse to no offer someone for another reason?

Does anyone know someone who was no-offered for fit, and if so what was the situation like?

Yes, I know of 2 people, neither of which are at my firm. One, a summer associate brought a pet on a business trip. The second made several off-color jokes and was just generally a weird person.

kcdc1

Silver

Post by kcdc1 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:00 pm

Short answer: Yes.

Slightly longer answer: If you're asking this because you're about to begin a SA and you're worried about getting no-offered, don't worry about it. At most big firms, a very small minority (or no one at all) will be no-offered. But your goal should no revolve around getting an offer; it should focus on being well-liked and seen as generally competent. If you do the latter, you will get an offer, and you will also set yourself up for success as a first-year associate.

WheninLaw

Silver

Post by WheninLaw » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Or it just can excuse to no offer someone for another reason?

I'm sure it happens, though work product is more important. Both our no-offers were a combination of poor fit plus mediocre work product.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:52 pm

Yes to all three.

1. If you are really off-putting such that no one wants to work with you, and it's bad enough to get brought up at a hiring committee meeting, you're probably getting the axe. This is far more likely at firms with small summer classes, as it's harder to blend in and people will care more.

2. If a firm has to no-offer someone for economic reasons, "fit" is a great, vague excuse to tell the person getting the axe. That way, the firm doesn't seem weak (/freak out the other summers) or need to provide any actual substantive feedback to the person, especially if the no-offer is done via a "cold offer" (i.e. we'll tell NALP and other firms you got an offer, but you ain't working here next year buddy).

3. I know a couple people in the (2) category. I have heard many stories about people who fall under (1), but don't personally know anyone.

I disagree with the poster who said work product is more important in the summer (unless you're REALLY bad). As a summer, your job is to blend in, keep your head down, and don't piss anyone off - they aren't giving you much "real" work anyway. Don't focus on trying to get people to love you. Rather, focus on making sure no one hates you.

This profession is judgmental and passive-aggressive. Act accordingly.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:01 pm

WheninLaw wrote:

I'm sure it happens, though work product is more important. Both our no-offers were a combination of poor fit plus mediocre work product.
I'm not sure that's right. At firms that typically make offers to all of their summers but that nevertheless occasionally no-offer someone, I'd guess that fit/personality, not work product, is usually the reason for the no offer. It's hard to know for sure, though.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:07 pm

rpupkin wrote:
WheninLaw wrote:

I'm not sure that's right. At firms that typically make offers to all of their summers but that nevertheless occasionally no-offer someone, I'd guess that fit/personality, not work product, is usually the reason for the no offer. It's hard to know for sure, though.
I'm pretty sure work product is more important at wheninlaw's summer firm, though, even if it's generally not quite so at others. I think this highlights that the question has some variation among law firms.

OP, don't worry about getting no offered: if your firm is financially solvent and typically gives offers, you'll be fine barring some extreme irregularity.

lawlorbust

Bronze

Post by lawlorbust » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:10 pm

Actus Reus wrote:

Yes, I know of 2 people, neither of which are at my firm. One, a summer associate brought a pet on a business trip. The second made several off-color jokes and was just generally a weird person.
Is this "fit"? Seems more like inability to meet basic professional standards, vs. "there wasn't anything wrong with him but we just didn't click."

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:15 pm

lawlorbust wrote:
Actus Reus wrote:

Is this "fit"? Seems more like inability to meet basic professional standards, vs. "there wasn't anything wrong with him but we just didn't click."
It's basically the same thing.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze

Post by tyroneslothrop1 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:41 pm

If you're unable to conduct yourself in a professional manner or have such an off putting personality that people don't want to work with you then you are unlikely to fit in.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:41 pm

I will be the only SA at a firm that upfront warned me that they weren't making any promises about full-time offer. Do you think that is (a) there way of reserving the right to no-offer if they don't like/need me; or (b) there way of subtly informing me I will not be getting an offer and I should hustle this summer.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I will be the only SA at a firm that upfront warned me that they weren't making any promises about full-time offer. Do you think that is (a) there way of reserving the right to no-offer if they don't like/need me; or (b) there way of subtly informing me I will not be getting an offer and I should hustle this summer.
I think this is common at small firms that hire just one or two SAs. I wouldn't take the firm's statement as some kind of coded hint. They're just telling you the truth. The firm could decide not to make you an offer for any number of reasons--work product, personality, business is slow, etc.

Rule104(a)

New

Post by Rule104(a) » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I will be the only SA at a firm that upfront warned me that they weren't making any promises about full-time offer. Do you think that is (a) there way of reserving the right to no-offer if they don't like/need me; or (b) there way of subtly informing me I will not be getting an offer and I should hustle this summer.
Just curious, what market are you in?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

WheninLaw

Silver

Post by WheninLaw » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:13 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
WheninLaw wrote:

I'm pretty sure work product is more important at wheninlaw's summer firm, though, even if it's generally not quite so at others. I think this highlights that the question has some variation among law firms.

OP, don't worry about getting no offered: if your firm is financially solvent and typically gives offers, you'll be fine barring some extreme irregularity.
This is a good point, I was probably generalizing my summer firm too much. Nevertheless, I still think it matters - true, they don't give you "real assignments," so it seems especially bad if you fuck those up.

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:23 pm

WheninLaw wrote:

Isnt SA work product usually mediocre?

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:29 pm

What is a "cold offer"? "We'll tell NALP we made you an offer but you ain't working here next year, buddy" just sounds like lying.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:30 pm

mvp99 wrote: Isnt SA work product usually mediocre?
Yeah. It's not that SA works product needs to be good. It doesn't even need to be not mediocre. It just has to not be conspicuously terrible.
That's why when I read "no-offers were a combination of poor fit plus mediocre work product," I basically only see "poor fit."
Last edited by rpupkin on Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:31 pm

stego wrote:What is a "cold offer"? "We'll tell NALP we made you an offer but you ain't working here next year, buddy" just sounds like lying.
If this sort of "lying" bothers you, choose another profession.

Foghornleghorn

Bronze

Post by Foghornleghorn » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:34 pm

If a partner invites you to a party on his yacht, for the love of God do not wear oxfords.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:51 pm

For the major firms, getting no-offered for "fit" doesn't mean "you're not our best bud" or even "we don't like you." It means "employing you will be a liability for our reputation."

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:05 pm

stego wrote:What is a "cold offer"? "We'll tell NALP we made you an offer but you ain't working here next year, buddy" just sounds like lying.
The lie is way more beneficial to the SA than the truth. I mean, it's sort of the best they can do without actually not no-offering them in the first place.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:08 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:For the major firms, getting no-offered for "fit" doesn't mean "you're not our best bud" or even "we don't like you." It means "employing you will be a liability for our reputation."
This may be true for the firm's with huge classes, but for major firms with smaller claases it is completely plausible to get no-offered just because folks find you kind of obnoxious, a prima donna, etc

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:20 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
The lie is way more beneficial to the SA than the truth. I mean, it's sort of the best they can do without actually not no-offering them in the first place.
So if a firm cold offers you, you get to tell people that they made you an offer but you chose not to work there?

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:22 pm

rpupkin wrote:
If this sort of "lying" bothers you, choose another profession.
Your use of scare quotes implies you think that it's not lying.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:23 pm

stego wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
So if a firm cold offers you, you get to tell people that they made you an offer but you chose not to work there?
Not exactly. But you can tell people that you have an outstanding offer while you apply elsewhere.
Last edited by rpupkin on Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”