How much should a small patent law firm pay a summer associate? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How much should a small patent law firm pay a summer associate?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:51 pm

I just got an offer from a small patent law firm (7 people) in a secondary market (e.g. Charlotte, NC) and the partner asked me how much I wanted to be paid. Being vaguely aware of negotiation strategies, I went with the "Don't name the price first" strategy and asked him what he wanted to pay me. He's currently researching what to offer. I want to know what I should be expecting so I can negotiate, if necessary.

I'm unorthodox in the sense that I am a licensed attorney (in a different state), not patent barred yet, and am currently in grad school for electrical engineering, with a background in physics.

If anybody has an idea of how much I should be expecting per hour I'd appreciate the help!

Anonymous User

Re: How much should a small patent law firm pay a summer associate?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:33 pm

You are a licensed attorney (patent bar or not does not matter), so you should be paid like a real attorney's hourly wage. For patent prosecution, that's a bit of an easier calculation, take the market salary rate for biglaw/patent boutique divide by the billable hours (billed for patent prosecution shops). Anecdotally, I was a patent law clerk during law school and I got between 50-60/billable hour in a secondary city (think Salt Lake City, Denver, Minneapolis, Seattle).

Anonymous User

Re: How much should a small patent law firm pay a summer associate?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:36 pm

take the market salary rate for biglaw/patent boutique divide by the billable hours
That is not how you figure out your hourly compensation at all.

OP, sounds like you're just going to be clerking? Big Law summers make $3k/wk, I wouldn't expect anything near that at a small firm in Charlotte. My large firm plays clerks (including those with JDs) a straight $20/hr when they aren't in the Summer Associate wonderland. Obviously that is a large stretch.

I would try and figure out what this firm would pay an entry level associate, and base your request on that. I would approach it differently if it was (1) just a SA gig; (2) a year round clerking gig; and (3) a patent agent/technical advisor part time or full time position.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”