Legal jobs that won't require me to check emails all night Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Re: Legal jobs that won't require me to check emails all night

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:14 pm

zot1 wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:Government. Especially regulatory government jobs.

Let me tell you something. The more I learn about government, the more I realize that's really the job you should be gunning for in law school. Not big law. And before people get into the "it's easier to get biglaw" routine; that's not really true if you open yourself up to things outside of DOJ and the SEC. Especially if you're open to state and local.
During an interview for a 2L internship with a federal government agency, not DOJ or SEC, I was told that the hiring qualifications for new attorneys for the agency were: top 10% from at least T20 and law review. I thought, shit, that isn't me!
Most agencies hire top 30% and a lot do not care about your school. If the criteria you provided were universal, I wouldn't have gotten this job.
+1. I don't work in the feds but was offered by one non-DOJ/SEC agency and was not top 10% nor at aT20

WhiteCollarBlueShirt

Bronze

Post by WhiteCollarBlueShirt » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:24 pm

I've heard Axiom Law, but I don't know anything about Axiom Corporation and am quite skeptical--sounds like a low tier consulting job to me, but would be interested if people know more.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:33 pm

I don't have to check e-mails on the weekend because I work in a country where half the time e-mail doesn't work anyway so nobody ever notices if you just don't respond for a couple days. Moving to a shitty country is definitely an option.

TLSaul2001

New

Post by TLSaul2001 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:38 pm

Non-profit organization if you can get into it.

I work 9-5 M-F and very rarely take work home. Don't even have work e-mail on my phone. (Mileage may vary depending on the organization obviously)

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:54 pm

El Pollito wrote:hahahahaahahahahaha

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:05 pm

worldtraveler wrote:I don't have to check e-mails on the weekend because I work in a country where half the time e-mail doesn't work anyway so nobody ever notices if you just don't respond for a couple days. Moving to a shitty country is definitely an option.
Incidentally, this is also the best approach to choosing a vacation destination.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:07 pm

El Pollito wrote:
El Pollito wrote:hahahahaahahahahaha
:(

Ok so what if I take a big pay cut to get a job like this, but then they do want me to check my emails after all? Seems risky.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:12 pm

Public Defender/DA. Job usually ends when you walk out the door at 5. Obviously if your'e in the middle of a trial, that changes.

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:15 pm

Just stop answering emails at about 9 PM, then, answer about 30 angry ones at 7 AM. Easy!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Public Defender/DA. Job usually ends when you walk out the door at 5. Obviously if your'e in the middle of a trial, that changes.

Don't PD/DA jobs require a lot of motion writing and brief writing to be done outside of normal office hours? As I understand it, they are busy with administrative tasks/clients and court during the day, when do they get all their writing done?
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:33 pm

Let me tell you something. The more I learn about government, the more I realize that's really the job you should be gunning for in law school. Not big law. And before people get into the "it's easier to get biglaw" routine; that's not really true if you open yourself up to things outside of DOJ and the SEC. Especially if you're open to state and local.
This is so true.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:15 pm

When I started, I was told that a large part of my pay was for availability. Those words did not seem as terrible then as they do now.
JohannDeMann wrote:

This is so true.
There are a handful of gov positions that are absolutely better than big law (SEC and CFTC come to mind b/c of enhanced payscales). There are also a lot that suck.

PvblivsScipio

Bronze

Post by PvblivsScipio » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:01 am

baal hadad wrote:Just stop answering emails at about 9 PM, then, answer about 30 angry ones at 7 AM. Easy!
This may be a dumb question but what do you do if you go to sleep early? Wake up randomly and check your phone?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:29 am

Unless you're on notice that you have an active matter, I don't think anyone expects you to be actively checking emails realllly late into the night.

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:51 am

dailygrind wrote:Unless you're on notice that you have an active matter, I don't think anyone expects you to be actively checking emails realllly late into the night.
Yeah I was mainly facetious

that said Im on eastern time (shitigator) had some clients in central and mountain time that I'd exchange emails with at midnight so that was a bummer

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:00 am

kellyfrost wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Public Defender/DA. Job usually ends when you walk out the door at 5. Obviously if your'e in the middle of a trial, that changes.
Don't PD/DA jobs require a lot of motion writing and brief writing to be done outside of normal office hours? As I understand it, they are busy with administrative tasks/clients and court during the day, when do they get all their writing done?
Depends. Some probably do, plenty don't, depending on office caseloads, especially as you become more senior and get more serious cases (more serious = fewer of them). There often aren't a lot of motions and briefs in the average cases you start out with anyway. (My understanding is that DUI stuff, for instance, gets routine really fast.)

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:04 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
Depends. Some probably do, plenty don't, depending on office caseloads, especially as you become more senior and get more serious cases (more serious = fewer of them). There often aren't a lot of motions and briefs in the average cases you start out with anyway. (My understanding is that DUI stuff, for instance, gets routine really fast.)
Briefs and motion writing: a lot of DAs argue the issues orally. When they do have briefs/motions, that's what interns/law clerks are for.

Junior DAs at OCDA get assigned to misdemeanor court. They all have several trials per week. Most leave by 5, but there were days here and there when they stayed late or took work home.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:52 am

baal hadad wrote:
dailygrind wrote:Unless you're on notice that you have an active matter, I don't think anyone expects you to be actively checking emails realllly late into the night.

that said Im on eastern time (shitigator) had some clients in central and mountain time that I'd exchange emails with at midnight so that was a bummer
Yeah, if you have clients in a different time zone it becomes a real bummer. I saw a partner work on a Japanese deal, and the conference calls took place at regrettable times.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:29 pm

dailygrind wrote:
baal hadad wrote:

Yeah, if you have clients in a different time zone it becomes a real bummer. I saw a partner work on a Japanese deal, and the conference calls took place at regrettable times.
I can't imagine having to deal with foreign country time zone issues. My clients are located in each time zone in the continental US, and I usually monitor email, phone call, or text message until the last office closes in their area. I can't imagine having to do that with foreign clients regularly.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:19 pm

baal hadad wrote:

Yeah but IME 10:30-11 emails may still definitely expect a response within a half hour or so.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:31 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:Yeah but IME 10:30-11 emails may still definitely expect a response within a half hour or so.
Different strokes for different folks. Unless someone tells me ahead of time to expect work after 10, I feel fully justified in answering their 10 o clock emails when I wake up. I'm not a fucking robot, here.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:49 pm

dailygrind wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:Yeah but IME 10:30-11 emails may still definitely expect a response within a half hour or so.
Different strokes for different folks. Unless someone tells me ahead of time to expect work after 10, I feel fully justified in answering their 10 o clock emails when I wake up. I'm not a fucking robot, here.
Maybe this is the key to mental health that I'm missing.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sat May 28, 2016 8:55 am

I like working and really enjoy what I do. This fact makes many people, including family, friends, and other loved ones think I'm strange. I don't mind night work, calls, email or texts. Same on weekends.
Holiday weekends suck because work goes radio silence Friday afternoon until Tuesday morning. Enjoy memorial day everyone.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat May 28, 2016 9:22 am

The idea that holiday weekends suck is just sad.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Sat May 28, 2016 10:08 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:The idea that holiday weekends suck is just sad.
holiday weekends means more time with the kids (bc daycare/school is closed). It's good to spend time with the kids but God 3 days in a row with constant crazy toddlers is a lot. (Enjoy your actually-relaxing smug childless weekends Nony)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”