Summer Associate Class of 2016 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

What's the damage so far this summer?

I've actually lost weight.
23%
Essentially the same.
21%
2-5 pounds
21%
5-10 pounds
16%
10-15 pounds
6%
It's bad.
13%

Total votes: 162

Bandegirs

New

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2016

Post by Bandegirs » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:12 pm

Banshee wrote:
fkt18 wrote:
fkt18 wrote:
Banshee wrote:
fkt18 wrote:I still need to pick up a gray suit, but I'm stocking up on some cute sheath dresses from Nordstrom. Snagged this and this before they ran out of my size, and am waiting for this to go on sale.
What do you think of the Adrianna Papell dress? I've been eyeing it for awhile...
I think it'll be arriving on Tuesday, I'll let you know how I like it! The pleats worry me but it looks gorgeous and the price is right.
So I like the Adrianna Papell dress, but it's a little long for my taste (I would prefer that it hit right above the knees) and I'm not totally sold on the side pleats. Either going to keep it and get it hemmed, or will return it and try again! The other dress was unfortunately a bust, although it had pockets(!).
Thank you for the follow-up info! Bummer the one dress was a bust, especially with pockets! The lack of pockets in most women's workwear is truly infuriating.
I agree with you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:56 pm

Hi SA 2016 class -- any insight for a [male; secondary market; large firm] 2017 SA in terms of clothes? I.e., how many suits should I bring (moving across country for SA for 10 weeks). Not too sure how formal/informal the firm is -- I interviewed on a Friday so there were still dress shirts/slacks, and also some jeans, but didn't see any full suits.. What is appropriate for an SA? Would I be fine with just 2 suits for the summer, or should I bring more? I imagine the day-to-day is more like slacks and a dress shirt.

TL;DR: How many times during your SA did you need a suit?

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi SA 2016 class -- any insight for a [male; secondary market; large firm] 2017 SA in terms of clothes? I.e., how many suits should I bring (moving across country for SA for 10 weeks). Not too sure how formal/informal the firm is -- I interviewed on a Friday so there were still dress shirts/slacks, and also some jeans, but didn't see any full suits.. What is appropriate for an SA? Would I be fine with just 2 suits for the summer, or should I bring more? I imagine the day-to-day is more like slacks and a dress shirt.

If your firm is business casual, two is more than enough. I never wore mine after the first day, and the only time other SAs wore one was for things like tagging along to court. Even if do that kind of stuff more than two days in a row, two suits is plenty.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi SA 2016 class -- any insight for a [male; secondary market; large firm] 2017 SA in terms of clothes? I.e., how many suits should I bring (moving across country for SA for 10 weeks). Not too sure how formal/informal the firm is -- I interviewed on a Friday so there were still dress shirts/slacks, and also some jeans, but didn't see any full suits.. What is appropriate for an SA? Would I be fine with just 2 suits for the summer, or should I bring more? I imagine the day-to-day is more like slacks and a dress shirt.

Two suits is plenty if your firm is business casual. If you're not sure, reach out to recruiting.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:26 pm

lawman84 wrote:

Two suits is plenty if your firm is business casual. If you're not sure, reach out to recruiting.
Thanks. NALP says 'business cas' under benefits. I'll plan on slacks/dress shirt for the day too day and have a suit in the office.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lawman84 wrote:

Thanks. NALP says 'business cas' under benefits. I'll plan on slacks/dress shirt for the day too day and have a suit in the office.
That'll work.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:37 pm

lawman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
lawman84 wrote:

That'll work.
One suit in office, one at home. You'll be more than fine with that.

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:15 pm

I had 1 suit. Kept it in the office. Wore it to court. Never needed it otherwise, but could have always run in and grabbed it.

I had 10 dress shirts, only wore about 7 or 8. Could have easily worn 3 or maybe even 2 in a rotation and no one would have noticed or cared.

Slacks, I think I had 6 and only wore 3 or 4. Could have gotten away with 2.

I had 3 pairs of shoes, only really wore 1 cause I'm in love with the walnut AEs.

3 belts to go with the 3 colors of shoes.

10 pairs of socks. Went through these regularly. I wouldn't go under 10 pairs of socks since you'll want to go 2 weeks without doing laundry. Just grab some cheap ones on Amazon, they don't need to last.

End of list.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:48 pm

cannibal ox wrote:I had 1 suit. Kept it in the office. Wore it to court. Never needed it otherwise, but could have always run in and grabbed it.

I had 10 dress shirts, only wore about 7 or 8. Could have easily worn 3 or maybe even 2 in a rotation and no one would have noticed or cared.

Slacks, I think I had 6 and only wore 3 or 4. Could have gotten away with 2.

I had 3 pairs of shoes, only really wore 1 cause I'm in love with the walnut AEs.

3 belts to go with the 3 colors of shoes.

10 pairs of socks. Went through these regularly. I wouldn't go under 10 pairs of socks since you'll want to go 2 weeks without doing laundry. Just grab some cheap ones on Amazon, they don't need to last.

End of list.
Which style of AE did you cop? I picked up a burnished brown McAllister which is my go to.

OP- I'd get at least one suit but real talk if you're doing transactional work you'll probably never need it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:31 pm

BigZuck wrote:Which style of AE did you cop? I picked up a burnished brown McAllister which is my go to.
Lexingtons, cause I wasn't trying to ruffle any feathers with broguing or over-broguing. Copped for like $150 off Shoe Bank. 8)

I also have some Fifth Aves from some sale when AE knocked like $200 off the price, but they're brown and I ended up not liking them as much. More formal, but my office didn't give a damn about formality, so I barely wore them.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”