If you could go back and choose a field of law to practice in, it would be _________. Why? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

If you could go back and choose a field of law to practice in, it would be _________. Why?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:44 am

As 1Ls, we recently got lectured by our dean in regards to the specializations we can choose and how we will be choosing our classes for the next two years this summer.

After looking over the course list and specialization opportunities, I'm getting pretty intimidated because there are so many options to choose from.

While biglaw would be nice, I am unsure if that door is still open (working hard to open it this semester). Therefore, I'd like to ask which fields of law I should be looking into. Thanks.

(no technical background)

RaceJudicata

Gold

Re: If you could go back and choose a field of law to practice in, it would be _________. Why?

Post by RaceJudicata » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:14 am

Opinions are going to vary widely on this, and there is no right answer. But if I did it again, I'd focus on tax

Anonymous User

Re: If you could go back and choose a field of law to practice in, it would be _________. Why?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:54 am

Insurance related pratice. Most likely insurance defense.

lawschoolftw

Bronze

Post by lawschoolftw » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:51 am

Bankruptcy. Whether you get into big-law or do more consumer work, a basic understanding of the Bankruptcy Code will be helpful. It took me almost a year to finally get a gist of the thing.

I imagine the same is true with tax, although I don't know the first thing about tax.

lawschoolftw

Bronze

Post by lawschoolftw » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:53 am

Bankruptcy. Whether you get into big-law or do more consumer work, a basic understanding of the Bankruptcy Code will be helpful. It took me almost a year to finally get a gist of the thing.

I imagine the same is true with tax, although I don't know the first thing about tax.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:16 am

Start prepping for case interviews early and gun hard for consulting. Without ties to get some other non-law job, this seems like the only positive outcome from going to a top law school. Wish I had known that 5 years ago.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:54 am

tax and bankruptcy are the two I hear other people say

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:58 am

Criminal defense. Being in court all the time seems awesome. Writing briefs and motions all day long, not so much.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Start prepping for case interviews early and gun hard for consulting. Without ties to get some other non-law job, this seems like the only positive outcome from going to a top law school. Wish I had known that 5 years ago.
This 1000x over. Goals of a HYS-CCN - MCPD law student = From 1L year make your goals to be (1) Median grades, (2) Interact with the bschool kids (take a class, hang out with JD/MBAs, etc.), (3) Get engaged with the bschool consulting club.

ckyo01

New

Post by ckyo01 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Start prepping for case interviews early and gun hard for consulting. Without ties to get some other non-law job, this seems like the only positive outcome from going to a top law school. Wish I had known that 5 years ago.
This 1000x over. Goals of a HYS-CCN - MCPD law student = From 1L year make your goals to be (1) Median grades, (2) Interact with the bschool kids (take a class, hang out with JD/MBAs, etc.), (3) Get engaged with the bschool consulting club.
And what if I am not HYS-CCN but rather just outside t14?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:08 pm

I would imagine it is not much different.

gander14

New

Post by gander14 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:59 pm

What's so good about consulting? Legitimately curious. Don't they work miserable hours too? Not saying biglaw is any better, but is it a whole lot worse?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:07 pm

Hours aren't as bad, but they do travel. It's more about the work. They advise on business points and have broad exit options into interesting roles. Corporate lawyers do their paperwork and have relatively narrow exit options into doing more paperwork. Go read the following thread for a good description of what corporate biglaw is all about. If anything he understated it.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4&t=261392

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Post by gaddockteeg » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:13 pm

employment law! recession proof and there's a need at every level and nook of the legal realm. Big law, small law, plaintiff's side, non-profit, policy, big fed, small fed, state and local agencies, every single company with a legal department.

All of the experience directly builds on itself too so you can transfer from one of the above to another with relatively little friction. ie. From small law employment to big law employment, etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:tax and bankruptcy are the two I hear other people say
+1 for these two areas of law.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:24 pm

is there a resource that explains consulting and how one might pursue this path?

think of me as jon snow, but alive, trying to get into consulting as a 1L :mrgreen:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:24 pm

is there a resource that explains consulting and how one might pursue this path?

think of me as jon snow, but alive, trying to get into consulting as a 1L :mrgreen:

favabeansoup

Bronze

Post by favabeansoup » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:06 pm

I really think people are over selling consulting here. My dad was a consultant, my brother is a consultant, and I've several friends who are. Consulting is a great job to do for a little and try to springboard into something else, but consulting itself isn't amazing here guys.

You travel every single week. Good luck if you have a family or trying to date or have any interest in owning a pet. You can easily get stuck working on a project in the middle of nowhere Idaho. So enjoy spending 4 nights a week in a "nice" hotel with not much else to do for several months. The pay is decent but it's not that amazing unless you are at one of MBB (which if you can get bravo). Without an MBA, You can spend 6-7 years at least usually before making around ~125-150k. Few, if any, consulting firms still hire JDs on the MBA level. That's 6-7 years of traveling constantly when you'd make more than that in year 1 of shitty big law life (where I at least sleep in my bed every night).

To state the obvious, you will not advise on business points until you have at least a few years experience, most likely not until you are manager level. There are a huge variety of consultants, some build systems some do strategy, etc. Building a new payroll system isn't that much more "exciting" than going through transactional paperwork.

Consulting is a fine starting job (career for the strong willed) for a lot of recent college/Mba grads. It gives good, varied experience to jump back into industry. What it is not is the mystical dream job that TLS can make it out to be sometimes. Big law can really suck and you aren't expected to last more than a few years, but it pays pretty well.

Edit: to answer OP's question, probably tax. Good job security and specialization

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:12 pm

Consulting = enjoy making power points

smile0751

Bronze

Post by smile0751 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:53 pm

baal hadad wrote:Consulting = enjoy making power points
More like spreadsheets.

I miss making power points.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:01 pm

What kind of exit ops do big law tax attorneys have? Is there an in-house market for these people?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:02 pm

Early Stage Companies/Venture Capital if you can swing it.. exit would likely be into a startup within a couple years, in a dual legal/business role - the goal being to have a decent salary, stock options with upside, a better work-life balance, etc. These groups are small outside of California, Boston, and (maybe) NY.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:09 am

To those that said bankruptcy- can you please elaborate on why?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”