Accepted a fed gov job, want to apply to a new one Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Accepted a fed gov job, want to apply to a new one

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:53 pm

Hi everybody, I am in a jam here and would truly appreciate any help. Here's my problem: I have already accepted a fed gov job. However, a new fed gov job that I want so much more just opened up. My question is...can I apply to that second job without losing the first job? I don't want the first job to catch wind of my shopping around, and then for me to end up missing out on both jobs. The jobs are with different agencies FYI.

I realize this is not really a great thing to do, but the first job is all the way on the west coast. The second job is on the east coast and closer to family, who could really use me around due to a variety of recent, serious developments, that I don't need to go into here.

Any advice you can give about whether the first job would find out about the application to the new job would be really helpful.

grand inquisitor

Gold

Re: Accepted a fed gov job, want to apply to a new one

Post by grand inquisitor » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:01 pm

apply to the second job and see what shakes out. this dilemma is premature. you should probably not renege on agency one, though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:20 pm

OP here--thanks for the feedback. I am paranoid that job one will find out about job two though...is there any chance of that if all I do is apply to job two?

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:02 pm

PM me. I need to know the name of the agencies to answer your question.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:42 am

I've worked as an attorney in various federal agencies for a while and have done hiring. There's virtually no chance of one agency finding out that you are looking for a job at another unless they are in the same field. And even then the odds are near zero.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Fed_Atty

Bronze

Post by Fed_Atty » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:09 pm

Even if the other agency does know, it probably wouldn't be a big deal. I applied for two different jobs with the same agency, they both knew it and weren't bothered

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:24 pm

The people that run hiring at federal agencies are not nearly meticulous enough to speak with any other hiring component of another agency

If you get the offer (which is a long way down the road) from the more desirable federal agency, then you'll just contact the one you accepted at, tell them you're very sorry and have to back out, and that's it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”