Career Advice Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Career Advice

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:53 pm

2015 grad here, from a school in that is safely Tier 1, but nothing special. Above median grades, but again, nothing special. In December 2015, I accepted a fellowship with a non-profit. At that point, I was desperate for employment and they paid well. It was also an area I had interest in and knowledge about. I started in January. The fellowship is scheduled to last through the end of October - I am concerned about being stuck in a lease, 1000 miles from my "safety net," with student loans and a need for regular income without a job when the fellowship ends.

Okay, so I recently came across an opportunity with a public interest organization that was too good to pass up applying for. So I applied, thinking there was no way I'd get an interview. It was for a permanent position (in my current market) doing direct representation in the same field that I've been working in. I'd much prefer to do direct representation and this is something I could see myself doing long term. However, in the interview I was informed that the job would likely start in the end of May and that they cannot wait until November (totally understandable, and I knew that going in, but I never thought I'd even get an interview).

If I get the job, which is looking pretty good since they only interviewed a couple of people and already called my references, I will have to make a decision on what to do. What are your thoughts? Ditch the temp gig before the end (they have a new fellow starting Sept. 1)? Or pass up a huge opportunity at an organization that has little turnover and is never hiring? How will this impact my career long term?

Anonymous User

Re: Career Advice

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:04 pm

what are you doing at the fellowship? is it the kind of thing where you'll be royally screwing other people if you leave (i.e. client representation) or just a research project? did you sign a commitment to stay for the entire year?

magnum_law

Bronze

Post by magnum_law » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:56 pm

Enjoy reneging

treeey86

Bronze

Post by treeey86 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:55 am

You are an attorney. This isnt some summer gig you got as a 1L and your career services office is gonna get mad if you reneg on a previous offer. You are a professional now and this is your career. You should be thinking long-term. If you get the offer you ditch the fellowship, accept the offer, start the next phase of your professional career, and dont think twice about it.

The fellowship gave you a break early in your career and gave you a job/opportunity. That's great and im sure it will be tough leaving early. But you gotta look out for your career and they will understand you leaving early is a business/career decision.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”