Colorado Market Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Colorado Market

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:33 pm

I am currently a 1l at a California school ranked in the 30's. I have ties to both California and Colorado, but would eventually like to end up in Colorado. I've heard the Denver market is hard to break into. Any tips on strategy for finding and applying for SA positions in Colorado from out of state?

As an alternative, what are the chances of starting out my career in California, then making the switch to Colorado a few years after graduation.

Also, it is probably relevant that I will most likely be sending in transfer applications to the T-14.
3.9 gpa, top 10% rank.

Anonymous User

Re: Colorado Market

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:46 pm

It will be very difficult. As a native/CO undergrad with many years of Denver work experience, median at T14 got me interviews but no offers.

If you look at the NALP data, even the bigger offices there only take on a handful of SAs. It's a tiny market with insane demand, even in spite of low $$ compared to COL these days. My sense is that most firms there prefer to hire biglaw T14 laterals (because they can).

All you can do is really try to sell your ties. Your grades should help.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:37 am

I couldn't crack Denver as a rising 2L at Y with nearly perfect grades and without a CO tie.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:42 am

Yeah, there are just very few big firms doing traditional summer associate gigs in Denver. Firms tend to hire T14 kids with strong ties coming back home, and the top 10-15% out of CU/DU (and not all of either of those, but those are the categories people usually fall into).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:10 am

OP here. I have heard about how difficult it is, but still want to give myself a shot. Do you think my chances go up significantly if I transfer? My Colorado ties are pretty strong, from a mountain town though, not the Denver area. Went to undergrad at CU Boulder.

Also, I'm not that concerned about starting out in CO, but definitely hope to end up there eventually. So one question I have is whether I should prioritize trying to start in Denver, or prioritize starting at a good position in CA that will set me up to make a lateral move later?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:03 am

If you know you want to be in Colorado, I don't know why you wouldn't try for that directly. If that doesn't work, then go California and try to lateral.

As for transferring, again, most people I've seen get hired are local grads or top school grads, but I don't know if any were transfers, or whether at OCI you look like a student of your 1L school or a student of your transfer school. I doubt it would hurt your chances, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”