Most money you would spend for Law school and why? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TFALAWL

Bronze

Most money you would spend for Law school and why?

Post by TFALAWL » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:15 pm

OP: 3L from UVA w/ biglaw offer

The most I would spend for law school (including COL) is 130k.

I am willing to commit to biglaw for two years but not more. Realistically, I can save 50k a year in big law to put towards loans.

I want to leave biglaw with no more than 50k in remaining debt because that is the threshold where I feel I could comfortably manage payments with a much lower paying job that isn't necessarily public interest.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Re: Most money you would spend for Law school and why?

Post by ballouttacontrol » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:38 am

$1 billion dollars because no matter how low my income ends up being, I end up with a cooler career, higher income upon graduation, and a much higher ceiling than I would've had otherwise

PAYE makes "cost" of education LOL. Non-sarcastic thanks to Obama and the other libs for the free money to take a 3 year vacation lol. If by some extraordinary twist of fate the tax bomb still exists in 20 years, just file a Chapter 13 bankruptcy, which has the effect of extending your pitiful loan payments for another 3-5 years. Unless you're still making less than $100k or so by then, in which case, you will fall below the means test and can file a Chapter 7 giving you 100% forgivement on the tax bomb

mohdban

Bronze

Post by mohdban » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:35 am

This question is nonsensical as it assumes you can put a price tag on law school education.

Law school education is clearly priceless!

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:37 am

About 20k.

Catsinthebag

Bronze

Post by Catsinthebag » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:13 am

ballouttacontrol wrote:$1 billion dollars because no matter how low my income ends up being, I end up with a cooler career, higher income upon graduation, and a much higher ceiling than I would've had otherwise

PAYE makes "cost" of education LOL. Non-sarcastic thanks to Obama and the other libs for the free money to take a 3 year vacation lol. If by some extraordinary twist of fate the tax bomb still exists in 20 years, just file a Chapter 13 bankruptcy, which has the effect of extending your pitiful loan payments for another 3-5 years. Unless you're still making less than $100k or so by then, in which case, you will fall below the means test and can file a Chapter 7 giving you 100% forgivement on the tax bomb

Yes, Obama and "the other libs" are responsible for your/others' level of personal responsibility. There's roughly a zero percent chance of that 'tax bomb' significantly affecting those who may be subject to its effects come a decade-and-a-half from now. For anyone looking at school now, it's a non-issue.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”