How useful is ACEDS certification Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How useful is ACEDS certification

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:42 pm

I am a midlaw lit associate with otherwise shitty credentials. Always loved technology and liked e-discovery. How useful is getting an ACEDS certification if I want to help my options getting other options? (in house)

TLSModBot

Diamond

Re: How useful is ACEDS certification

Post by TLSModBot » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:47 pm

Not very. I'm a 9-year veteran of E-Discovery (and just now graduating law school) - the certifications are just pieces of paper and are not really worth the money. I looked at ACEDS a while back and while it's probably the best of the bunch, it really doesn't do much for your resume.

ACEDS *might* help to a small extent with some E-Discovery vendors but firms and in-house won't, I think, give a shit.

Also where would you go in-house where Discovery experience would be a positive/matter? Not snark actually curious.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:04 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:Not very. I'm a 9-year veteran of E-Discovery (and just now graduating law school) - the certifications are just pieces of paper and are not really worth the money. I looked at ACEDS a while back and while it's probably the best of the bunch, it really doesn't do much for your resume.

ACEDS *might* help to a small extent with some E-Discovery vendors but firms and in-house won't, I think, give a shit.

Also where would you go in-house where Discovery experience would be a positive/matter? Not snark actually curious.
Thanks. I don't quite know myself. I'm just starting out and want to keep my options open. Thing is I already paid for the certification (got a huge discount) so I might as well for it. I need advice on where to go from there if at the year mark I'm not seeing real growth in my current position

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:08 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:Also where would you go in-house where Discovery experience would be a positive/matter? Not snark actually curious.
The gov agency I work at (I do InfoSec work) has dedicated in-house staff working e-discovery, although I have not seen an obvious signs that they are specifically interested in any specific certification.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:11 pm

The price is the only real hurdle for getting it so you might as well.

If you really like E-Discovery, E-Discovery consulting ain't a bad way to go. At a lower-level management position you're making low six figures, the workload varies but never really hits Law firm level bad (except for a couple exceptions in my career for certain batshit crazy cases that are by far the exception not the rule).

Downside is that E-Discovery is a maturing market so I'm not sure there's a long-term career in that anymore - one of the reasons I got out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:23 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:The price is the only real hurdle for getting it so you might as well.

If you really like E-Discovery, E-Discovery consulting ain't a bad way to go. At a lower-level management position you're making low six figures, the workload varies but never really hits Law firm level bad (except for a couple exceptions in my career for certain batshit crazy cases that are by far the exception not the rule).

Downside is that E-Discovery is a maturing market so I'm not sure there's a long-term career in that anymore - one of the reasons I got out.
I like E-discovery, i like law, i just question how far i can go in the traditional law firm setting. lower 6 figures is great for me, im not even there yet at my midlaw firm. Its more of a work/life balance thing, if that is possible.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”