LA Biglaw Culture

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: LA Biglaw Culture

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:14 pm

I would be interested in this too.

DID NOT MEAN TO POST ANON.

MAAPPLICANT

Rule104(a)

New

Post by Rule104(a) » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:34 pm

Is Skadden LA really as terrible as people make it sound?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:41 pm

Rule104(a) wrote:Is Skadden LA really as terrible as people make it sound?
I only had a callback there so I can't really say, but aside from the robotic corporate vibe I found the most ironic thing there an art installation of a ragdoll/clay figure with a giant push pin stabbing its chest. I don't think I could work there and see that everyday without contemplating suicide tbh. Also FWIW, their recruiting materials had this in big bold letters on one of the pages: SWEATSHOP

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I only had a callback there so I can't really say, but aside from the robotic corporate vibe I found the most ironic thing there an art installation of a ragdoll/clay figure with a giant push pin stabbing its chest. I don't think I could work there and see that everyday without contemplating suicide tbh. Also FWIW, their recruiting materials had this in big bold letters on one of the pages: SWEATSHOP
Multiple people from my school got offers there from OCI and none accepted. Take that for what it's worth.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Multiple people from my school got offers there from OCI and none accepted. Take that for what it's worth.
someone literally died from overwork there in 2011: http://abovethelaw.com/2011/06/in-re-th ... associate/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rule104(a)

New

Post by Rule104(a) » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
someone literally died from overwork there in 2011: http://abovethelaw.com/2011/06/in-re-th ... associate/
I think the partner that pushed her over the edge works at Latham now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:26 pm

Every firm that you go to will have its ups and downs. It's about making the determination which ups and downs you are okay to live with for the next X amount of years. Some of that analysis should already have been done prior to accepting a SA position; but this upcoming summer should give you a better idea of what it's really like to work at the firm. However, you should take that as a grain of salt too since a 10-week program is not an accurate reflection of a long-term stay (particularly since you'll have a lot of wine and dine going on).

With that said, SAs should make a real effort in extracting genuine opinions about the firm through current associates and partners while also attempting to see the true work life through the weeds.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:28 pm

I will also add that for me, I was able to get close to a few associates (on the junior and senior side) that really gave me the breakdown of what it is like to work at the firm. So in that way, I was lucky.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:00 am

What's it generally like to summer/work at a large Vault firm's LA satellite office that has only a few summers/attorneys?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Rule104(a)

New

Post by Rule104(a) » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What's it generally like to summer/work at a large Vault firm's LA satellite office that has only a few summers/attorneys?
Define "a few." I've noticed a lot of firms in LA have summer classes of less than 10 students.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What's it generally like to summer/work at a large Vault firm's LA satellite office that has only a few summers/attorneys?
I spent one of my summers doing this and another at a big office. The small was like a toned down version of a normal summer program - there were events, but not quite as many nor as lavish as a bigger office, the work was laid back, but not quite as jokey as you'd see at a bigger office, and there's a tinge more fear about offers and stability. On the other hand I think there was genuinely a more of a feeling of community and collegiality where almost everyone (minus some partners) really knew each other, and the summers really know each other. Which is good or bad depending on whom your classmates are.

LawIsLife

New

Post by LawIsLife » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I used to work at Proskauer LA. Anything you want to know about it?

Whats the culture like at Proskauer LA?

I've heard both good and bad things about the office. Did you like your time there?
I did not like my time there. I would be happy to share more by PM....can you respond non-anonymously by chance so I can PM you?
Do you mind sharing more with me re Proskauer LA.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Same thing happened at our school--Skadden sent some horrible senior associate to interview who turned off every student at the screener phase. He basically treated anyone with less than a 3.6x like they had no business being in the room and tried to forcefully tell those with above a 3.7 why Skadden was the greatest firm in the world. I would treat as your last option, unless this is the type of atmosphere you want to work in.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Same thing happened at our school--Skadden sent some horrible senior associate to interview who turned off every student at the screener phase. He basically treated anyone with less than a 3.6x like they had no business being in the room and tried to forcefully tell those with above a 3.7 why Skadden was the greatest firm in the world. I would treat as your last option, unless this is the type of atmosphere you want to work in.
Can confirm this as their reputation around town. They are a V-whatever only by name.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:52 pm

Complimented a LA Skaddenbro on his tie at a mixer. Said I had to work at a place like Skadden to afford designer shit like him. He knew I work at a market biglaw firm. Not only douchey, but not very smart in their doucheyness.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:09 pm

Is there a Seamless equivalent for working late at the office?

BulletTooth

Bronze

Post by BulletTooth » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is there a Seamless equivalent for working late at the office?
I've heard that some LA firms have seamless or something similar but that it's more frowned upon to use it as frequently as associates use it in NY. Can anyone confirm?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:24 pm

BulletTooth wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is there a Seamless equivalent for working late at the office?
I've heard that some LA firms have seamless or something similar but that it's more frowned upon to use it as frequently as associates use it in NY. Can anyone confirm?
At my firm if you bill 10 hours on the day you can have your dinner reimbursed up to like $35 (I think) provided you submit receipts.

LazyLASA

New

Post by LazyLASA » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
BulletTooth wrote:
At my firm if you bill 10 hours on the day you can have your dinner reimbursed up to like $35 (I think) provided you submit receipts.
My firm is also 10 hours, but I don't think there's a stated amount. People order food all the time through whatever service they feel like and just submit receipts for reimbursement.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:53 am

Anyone have experiences working at smaller markets around LA? Working in Santa Barbara would sound amazing, but the trade off would be less pay for the same, if not more cost of living. Perhaps makes sense as a place to lateral down the line for a more permanent place to raise a family, assuming the firm culture is more relaxed.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BulletTooth wrote:
Not frowned upon at either of my firms. Same 10 hour rule, but not enforced very well. Firm also uses a service that orders food from one restaurant each night that you can order from if you'd like--that way the delivery fee doesn't cut into your limit.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bobbyflayed

Bronze

Post by bobbyflayed » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:55 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BulletTooth wrote:
Not frowned upon at either of my firms. Same 10 hour rule, but not enforced very well. Firm also uses a service that orders food from one restaurant each night that you can order from if you'd like--that way the delivery fee doesn't cut into your limit.
We use Grubhub for work (used to be LA bite, but was acquired by Grubhub). Firm policy is $40 for 9.5 hrs.

bobbyflayed

Bronze

Post by bobbyflayed » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:07 pm

tmanthedman wrote:I'll be a 2L SA downtown. Is the culture really that much better than NY in terms of office hours, dress code, etc.? My interviews seemed to indicate that, just not sure how truthful they were (especially since I did far fewer NY interviews).

What should I generally expect for me summer (or is this super firm-specific) in terms of work load, number of events/week, how many of said events we should be attending, etc? Do SA's have offices, cubicles, or will be doing something more "interny" like sharing conference rooms?

I'm just procrastinating writing papers, so anywhere this discussion goes is cool with me.
I summered in NYC and now work as a first year in LA biglaw at a different firm.

Hours - 9-6:30 pm - you're pretty much expected to stay the whole time as a summer. Associates have a lot of flex. Many of our associates work from home a few hours a day or 1/2 days a week. Very little facetime requirement (note this has nothing to do with workload).

Dress code - Biz cas is the same in every city.

Summer Events - Less extravagant; less events; less all night drinking parties immediately after every single event; more attorney contact; more family friendly. When I was in NYC we had some kind of official or unofficial event almost every night which was capped by an unlimited drinking binge at the closest serviceable bar. The event we've had in LA are almost better in the sense that they seem to be more geared to getting you in front of attorneys rather than becoming best friends with your class. Still fun, just not as rowdy or frequent. Expect more dinners, less hangovers and less debauchery. Attend all events.

Work - The work in my LA office is infinitely more real than NYC. My NYC summer had throwaway assignments that somewhat introduced me to the field but never really put pressure on me. Here, our summers get real work, are staffed on real deals, and are looped into conference calls, etc.

Offices - Both; I think summers used to get their own office, but some may share depending on the real estate situation as the firm grows.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
As a former Skadden LA summer (though not working there currently), I'd like to chime in to say that this couldn't be further from my experience (and, I think most if not all of my summer class would say the same). I chose Skadden over other firms, including some that have a better reputation in LA, because the attorneys seemed much more down to earth than at the other places during my callback and post-offer visit. My summer experience bore that out. I felt like I had the opportunity to build relationships with almost everyone in my practice group, and all of the attorneys, even the partners, were very friendly and approachable.

I think there's something to be said for practicing for an "LA firm" if you're going to be in LA, and Skadden doesn't fall into that category, but I would caution people against relying on the posts in this thread in making their decisions about where to summer. I almost didn't even bid Skadden because of their reputation at my school (which is based mainly on the NY office), and I'm really glad I gave them a chance.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:52 am

BulletTooth wrote:
1st year at an LA based vault firm here. No grubhub or car service reimbursements/policies at all. But the culture is very tolerant of leaving at 5/6 and working from home in the evening, so like why would I want those things anyway. When I'm there past 7 or 8 my floor is a ghost town, without fail. I can count the number of times on one hand that I've seen any other lawyers in the office at all past 9pm.

Idk I'll take it over a few nights of free seamless/grubhub a week. I'd guess this is a main difference between west coast firms and satellites of NY firms, but I've only worked at one place so who knows.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”