SA NY APT HUNTING Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Londonbear

Bronze

SA NY APT HUNTING

Post by Londonbear » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:25 pm

When should I start to worry about not having an apt lined up for NY? Any suggestions where to look if I want to be close to midtown and don't want to pay more than $3000 a month? Looked into NYU summer housing and they really aren't that cheap either for the location. Heard not to bother with craigslist. Will only have a short time between finals and my SA, so basically can't go to look at places to make sure they aren't bogus. Advice anyone?

cbbinnyc

Bronze

Re: SA NY APT HUNTING

Post by cbbinnyc » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:39 pm

Not sure why anybody told you not to bother with Craigslist. Maybe things have changed, but I was looking for a new apt about 2 years ago and Craigslist was still widely used. You can also try airbnb. I ended up finding my current place on nakedapartments.com, but not sure about what options you'll find for a short-term rental.

I assume you will want something that is furnished? There are some corporate/luxury places that will do furnished/short-term rentals, but for <$3000 in midtown your options are going to be slim to none. I would highly recommend looking outside of midtown. If you can get a place near the subway (particularly an express stop) the commute will be very quick. Depending on specific location, you can have a commute under 30 minutes (or possibly until 20) if you look in Upper West Side, East Village, Astoria, Long Island City, Brooklyn Heights, etc, and you'll have better living options.

ETA: In terms of when, it's honestly pretty difficult to line anything up far in advance. If you start work in mid-May, for example, you probably don't have much luck looking before mid-April.

cbbinnyc

Bronze

Post by cbbinnyc » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:44 pm

Also, missed the part about you not being able to check out places before hand. I still think Craigslist is a good option, just do as much due diligence as possible (make sure you get pictures, talk to the sub-leaser in person on Skype, have a buddy in NYC go check it out in person if possible, etc). Airbnb might be a safer bet, though.

Londonbear

Bronze

Post by Londonbear » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:20 pm

Thanks for the advice. Good to know I can wait a little longer before I need to really look. Won't Airbnb be more expensive?

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:25 pm

Londonbear wrote:Thanks for the advice. Good to know I can wait a little longer before I need to really look. Won't Airbnb be more expensive?
Yeah but Airbnb is probably the easiest and safest method to use. You can usually get a bunch of pics and reviews from previous guests before booking, and Airbnb guarantees the place for you so no potential shenanigans. I went with Airbnb last summer and was happy paying a little extra for peace of mind.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Avian

Bronze

Post by Avian » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:03 pm

NYU's rates seem pretty affordable compared to what I've seen on Airbnb. I know someone who did that for the summer and it worked out pretty well.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:40 pm

Look at Columbia summer housing. As an SA (summer 2014) I had a 2 bedroom with no roommates (but second bedroom was locked--closed) for $1500.

Londonbear

Bronze

Post by Londonbear » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:44 am

What do we think of Queens?

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:50 pm

Londonbear wrote:What do we think of Queens?
Long Island City is great for commuting to midtown. Astoria less so, but still very doable if you're relatively close to the subway. I probably wouldn't go any further in than that though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Londonbear

Bronze

Post by Londonbear » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:10 pm

cbbinnyc wrote:Not sure why anybody told you not to bother with Craigslist. Maybe things have changed, but I was looking for a new apt about 2 years ago and Craigslist was still widely used. You can also try airbnb. I ended up finding my current place on nakedapartments.com, but not sure about what options you'll find for a short-term rental.

I assume you will want something that is furnished? There are some corporate/luxury places that will do furnished/short-term rentals, but for <$3000 in midtown your options are going to be slim to none. I would highly recommend looking outside of midtown. If you can get a place near the subway (particularly an express stop) the commute will be very quick. Depending on specific location, you can have a commute under 30 minutes (or possibly until 20) if you look in Upper West Side, East Village, Astoria, Long Island City, Brooklyn Heights, etc, and you'll have better living options.

ETA: In terms of when, it's honestly pretty difficult to line anything up far in advance. If you start work in mid-May, for example, you probably don't have much luck looking before mid-April.
My firm is closest to an EM stop, and I heard it can be unreliable. Does unreliable mean I just have to make sure I add in a few minutes just in case, or does unreliable means sometimes it doesn't show up for close to hours? (Happens frequently in DC, so extremely weary of metros)

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:05 pm

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:43 pm

Londonbear wrote:When should I start to worry about not having an apt lined up for NY? Any suggestions where to look if I want to be close to midtown and don't want to pay more than $3000 a month? Looked into NYU summer housing and they really aren't that cheap either for the location. Heard not to bother with craigslist. Will only have a short time between finals and my SA, so basically can't go to look at places to make sure they aren't bogus. Advice anyone?
Not really sure what you mean by "aren't that cheap for the location" with NYU... You know that's one of the most expensive parts of the entire city, right?

If you can't visit and meet people then subletting on Craigslist will be pretty impossible, although that would otherwise be my first suggestion. I'd stick with looking into the area law schools for the best combination of value and convenience. In addition to CLS and NYU, Brooklyn has dorms.

Londonbear

Bronze

Post by Londonbear » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:45 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
Londonbear wrote:When should I start to worry about not having an apt lined up for NY? Any suggestions where to look if I want to be close to midtown and don't want to pay more than $3000 a month? Looked into NYU summer housing and they really aren't that cheap either for the location. Heard not to bother with craigslist. Will only have a short time between finals and my SA, so basically can't go to look at places to make sure they aren't bogus. Advice anyone?
Not really sure what you mean by "aren't that cheap for the location" with NYU... You know that's one of the most expensive parts of the entire city, right?

If you can't visit and meet people then subletting on Craigslist will be pretty impossible, although that would otherwise be my first suggestion. I'd stick with looking into the area law schools for the best combination of value and convenience. In addition to CLS and NYU, Brooklyn has dorms.
When I meant "aren't that cheap for the location", I meant considering the travelling distance and the fact that it's basically a dorm. I would only have to pay a bit more for a closer place to midtown.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:34 pm

Londonbear wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:

When I meant "aren't that cheap for the location", I meant considering the travelling distance and the fact that it's basically a dorm. I would only have to pay a bit more for a closer place to midtown.
Fair enough but living in midtown is as a general matter much cheaper. It's not some great shakes being in the east 50s or whatever.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:15 pm

Londonbear wrote: My firm is closest to an EM stop, and I heard it can be unreliable. Does unreliable mean I just have to make sure I add in a few minutes just in case, or does unreliable means sometimes it doesn't show up for close to hours? (Happens frequently in DC, so extremely weary of metros)
I don't use the E or M very frequently, but I find the E to be pretty reliable, the M less so. Assuming you start work at a normal time in the morning, 9-10 or so, I can't imagine waiting longer than 10 minutes tops (and that would be pretty bad - usually you won't wait more than 5 minutes for any train at rush hour). Getting home late at night can be annoying sometimes, but even after midnight, waiting longer than 20 minutes is pretty rare. If you're off the M, you might want to look at Williamsburg and the East Village. Long Island City and Astoria are also decent options.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:19 pm

You should probably look at different neighborhoods for midtown firms than for downtown firms. Brooklyn to Wall Street is probably shorter than commuting from Manhattan. Roosevelt Island is great for Midtown.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:07 am

Living in midtown sucks. I dont care how easy the commute is. It sucks.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cbbinnyc

Bronze

Post by cbbinnyc » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Londonbear wrote: My firm is closest to an EM stop, and I heard it can be unreliable. Does unreliable mean I just have to make sure I add in a few minutes just in case, or does unreliable means sometimes it doesn't show up for close to hours? (Happens frequently in DC, so extremely weary of metros)
I don't use the E or M very frequently, but I find the E to be pretty reliable, the M less so. Assuming you start work at a normal time in the morning, 9-10 or so, I can't imagine waiting longer than 10 minutes tops (and that would be pretty bad - usually you won't wait more than 5 minutes for any train at rush hour). Getting home late at night can be annoying sometimes, but even after midnight, waiting longer than 20 minutes is pretty rare. If you're off the M, you might want to look at Williamsburg and the East Village. Long Island City and Astoria are also decent options.
ETA: Accidental annon - this is cbb

cbbinnyc

Bronze

Post by cbbinnyc » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:You should probably look at different neighborhoods for midtown firms than for downtown firms. Brooklyn to Wall Street is probably shorter than commuting from Manhattan. Roosevelt Island is great for Midtown.
Yes. Totally forgot about Roosevelt Island. It's pricey, but under $3000/month is doable.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:21 am

I live in LIC, have a really nice and large apartment with all the amenities for under 3K, and I'm in my midtown office within 25 minutes (and can always just take a 10 minute taxi ride home if I'm stuck here late). If you live in the Court Square/Queensboro Plaza area, the rent is affordable and you have access to many of the major trains. Literally every part of Manhattan becomes easily accessible.

Londonbear

Bronze

Post by Londonbear » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:40 pm

Thanks everyone! It's helped me narrow my search down.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”