Approaching Guest Partners in Class Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Wustlmike19

New

Approaching Guest Partners in Class

Post by Wustlmike19 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:42 pm

I've been meeting with an associate at a large firm where I want to be working. He has been excited about the possibility about me meeting some partners in the practice group I want to practice. A few weeks ago, we had lunch and he told me that he spoke with them and they wanted to meet me and set up a lunch. We haven't been able to set up a lunch because they've been out of town on a big case.

This week, a professor mentioned that they would be speaking in class next Thursday. Would it be proper to go up to them after class and introduce myself? Introduce myself but not mention anything about the "proposed" lunch? Or not...

Platinum

Re: Approaching Guest Partners in Class

Post by 071816 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:05 pm

ask if they party

WhyYaCryin

New

Post by WhyYaCryin » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:14 pm

^

Devlin

Silver

Post by Devlin » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:29 pm

Wustlmike19 wrote:I've been meeting with an associate at a large firm where I want to be working. He has been excited about the possibility about me meeting some partners in the practice group I want to practice. A few weeks ago, we had lunch and he told me that he spoke with them and they wanted to meet me and set up a lunch. We haven't been able to set up a lunch because they've been out of town on a big case.

This week, a professor mentioned that they would be speaking in class next Thursday. Would it be proper to go up to them after class and introduce myself? Introduce myself but not mention anything about the "proposed" lunch? Or not...
Definitely go up and introduce yourself. Try not to hard sell yourself to them. Just ask them questions about practice, etc. If you get an interview with the firm you can casually bring up how you spoke to Partners X and Y during your class and spin it as a reason why you are interested in the firm. If you hit if off well, I would actually mention that you have lunch with Associate Z. Shows you are serious about the firm.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:33 pm

Wustlmike19 wrote:I've been meeting with an associate at a large firm where I want to be working. He has been excited about the possibility about me meeting some partners in the practice group I want to practice. A few weeks ago, we had lunch and he told me that he spoke with them and they wanted to meet me and set up a lunch. We haven't been able to set up a lunch because they've been out of town on a big case.

I've thought about this for a while, and I can not come up with a reason why you wouldn't introduce yourself. I'm going to guess that if the story about lunch is actually factual, the partner will probably bring it up in the course of conversation after you introduce yourself.

Credentials for offering this opinion and advice:
B.S.
J.D.
CALI Award For Excellence - Commercial Paper
Concealed Weapon Permit Holder
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:26 pm

JFC you aspies, basic communication is not that hard.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:36 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:JFC you aspies, basic communication is not that hard.

TheHill5

New

Post by TheHill5 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:40 pm

Bruhhh be like yo fam what goody let eat. LET EAT NOW DOE BRO. Do it like that too.

patentlitigatrix

Silver

Post by patentlitigatrix » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:36 pm

Just introduce yourself and talk to the partner like he is a human being. Mainly because he is.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”